Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling for trout Species
What are the best dodgers and colors for trout ?
[signature]
I'm not sure what would be considered "the best" but I seem to have had the best luck with straight chrome or silver with either a Holographic or cracked ice field. Actually, thats about all I use anymore for dodgers and flashers.
[signature]
Thanks
[signature]
no prob, mactuna.. I failed to mention types/brand in my post .. sorry about that.

I know I use Alderton Tackle's flashers - I believe they're called 'action' flashers but I'll have to get back to ya with the dodgers I'm not certain which ones I've got in the boat.. sort of embarassing.
[signature]
I like small dodgers for trout. I'm partial to the Rocky Mountain Tackle signature dodgers. The colors that work best for me are the Hyper Plaid (holographic tape), Chartreuse Tiger, Gold Fire Ice, and Nickel Pink Crushed. These are my favorite trout dodgers, and they work great for kokanee too. (actually they are designed for kokes, so that is a given!) There are tons of other great colors, but I haven't had time to try them all!

I also like Crystal Basin dodgers. They make a little 3" dodger that is awesome. I really like their watermelon finish, and a lot of their flourescent colors. They are great when the fish want a smaller, more subtle look. I especially like these with trolling flies and hoochies.

If I'm going for bigger fish, like mackinaw, I will use Lure Jensens dodgers, or Wordens. In deep water, where macs roam, the bigger dodgers really work well at times. I like their crome pounded finish the best, although I have a few that I've added glow stripes to... and they work awesome in deep dark water too. The flash of a chrome dodger doesnt do you any good if there is no light to reflect off of it! They still create fish attracting vibration, but I've found that adding a good glow painted, or taped on, stripe can make it have visual appeal too. I also like these for summer time trout that have moved deep to get out of the heat and sunlight.

Hope that helps you a bit!
[signature]
Thanks, never really needed to troll, but we have our boat so were going to try it. We have been fishing on our toons and my wife says she wants to try trolling. So we will try trolling.
[signature]
hey, no problem! what lake are you planning on hitting?
[signature]
Deer Creek
[signature]
The rigs that have worked best for me at Deer Creek...

For browns, spinners like RMT assasins, or wedding rings are great. Tip them with a worm and put them behind a dodger or pop geer. Pop geer trailed by a threaded worm works good too. For bows, my favorite this year has been UV hoochies behind dodgers, but regular old pop geer and worm has also worked really well as usual.

A lot of people swear by rapalas and flat fish at deer creek. I've never had much luck with these at deer creek and have found that the above rigs, especially used on the downriggers, have out-produced the flatfish and raps. But, you should definately try a few because a lot of people love them. Then you can decide for yourself.

Hope this helps, and be sure to report your results!

Good luck, bkidder
[signature]
Can't find RMT Assasins. What colors ? Maybe if you have time we could go out fishing. WE caught 12 Rainbows all chunky in 3 hours. Stay in touch we will go fishing.
[signature]
here are the assasins. they also carry them at sportsmans warehouse, but not the full color selection. [url "http://www.rockymountaintackle.com/prod_spinner.php"]http://www.rockymountaintackle.com/prod_spinner.php[/url]

the top four are the ones ive been using most, but the candy cane color has also been great. the thing that is nice about these spinners is they use glow beads. they seem to really have the edge over other spinners, especially in low light mornings and evenings.

anyways, give them a shot and you'll be impressed!

take care, bkidder
[signature]
[cool]

Dakota blades - I likey! 'cept for Walleyes.

Just had an idea .. what size blades are those in inch increments, bk?
[signature]
I'm not sure what size they are. I'll measure them when I get a chance to pull one from my tackle bag... its in the boat. They are pretty small because they are made for kokanee salmon. But, I have changed a few of them out and added my own larger dakota blades. They work great, but I haven't noticed a difference between the larger and smaller ones. The real key to these spinners, in my opinion, are the glow beads and tandem hooks.
[signature]
Cool beans, bk.

I tie my own bait rigs and have a good quantity of these blades hangin' around waiting to get tied up..

..creative juices are flowin'. [Tongue]
[signature]
Want to sell any of your lures ?
[signature]
LOL .. Never really thought about selling any .. don't have a great amount of spare time but, if you'ld like me to spin some up for you I could probably do so.

..you don't want 'em for this weekend, do you?! [Tongue]
[signature]
No, we thought we would go to a lake with no boating and take our toons.
[signature]
k .. give me a layout what you want and I can spin some up. I'm no tackle supplier but I should either have what ya want or be able to get it real easy. Toss me a PM when you gather your thoughts.
[signature]
What ever you think, I'll leave it up to you, I don't troll much, when we go on Long Range trips I hate when we troll its boring. When we troll in the ocean I would rather not so when the trollers stop the boat on fish I can throw my lure on the slide more productive and bigger fish usually. Some for browns and some for Rainbows ?
[signature]
Have you had time to spin a few ?
[signature]