Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Type of reel for downrigging
What type of reel do you guys use on your pole for downrigging?I just started downrigging and am finding that I need a different reel,I am just using my regular spinning reel and it does not hold enough line to go like 100'. so before I just go out and buy a new reel I wanted to see what you guys use.I ain't going to spend a whole lot, maybe $50 or 60.I am not really a cheap guy but I know you don't have to have the best there is either. I have a lot to learn in this area.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008080][size 3]I like Penn reels myself. They make a model 9M that worked fine for me for quite a few years. They are about $60 at Sportsmans. I moved up to a model 310 last year, they are just a little bigger and hold more line.[/size][/#008080][/font]
[signature]
[size 1][black][size 2]I use a Daiwa line counter reel (SG27LCA). It has an excellent drag (important for downrigging) and having a line counter is extremely useful for getting the line out the distance you want.[/size][/black] [/size]
[signature]
I have penn , shimano, and pfluger spinning reels. You can get these reels for under $60 and sometimes cheaper when they put them on special. I have had my 2 penn reels for over 15 years .Just remember you pay for what you get for when it comes down to fishing reels!!These are great reels for freshwater and hold a lot of light line. As of line i go light with a downrigger that way you can fight a big fish that is 100 feet down with 6lb test or even lighter if you prefer. Hope this helps you. [Smile]
[signature]
[black][size 3]While looking at reels, check out the reels used for bass casting. They are much lighter/smaller, and have plenty of line capacity. (300 yards, not feet, of 30 lb test line is not necessary). IMHO, if you fish in Utah, and use anything over 10 lb test, you must be casting to 747's.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The smaller size of the bass casting reel makes them easier to handle, and mount well on a rod.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Before you buy, make sure of the hand that you want to reel with. It may sound silly, but that will make your fishing more enjoyable. If you wind your spinning reel with your left hand, buy a left hand casting reel. It's something that no one thinks about, but believe me, I speak from experience.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Wishing you the best in your quest.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I also like the bass casting reels. I use them for both jigging and trolling. I also agree with the hand you reel with. The only problem I have with casting reels is they make most styles in only right hand models which I have never understood because most people I know use thier spinning reals with a left handed reel.

The casting reels are good triple purpose reels that can be used for casting, jigging, or trolling what ever you prefer. I have several that I have spooled up with various styles and tests of lines for however I will be fishing. Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas carry plenty of ecinomical reels in the price range you are looking at.

Hope this helps
Wyobraz
[signature]
i like and use okuma trolling reels for downrigging and they are very inexpensive.
[signature]
Have enough different answers yet?
The whole point and beauty of downrigging is to use light line and rods to get deeper than any sinker rig ever could.
If you like spinning rods, then by all means spend $60 on a reel that will hold 250 yds of 10 lb line.

I like longer 7 to 7 1/2 foot, fast tip rods and bigger Bass type reels for really deep rigging. I prefer spinning gear at depths down to 50' or so.
I always use a ball bearing swivel when trolling to help stop line twist and I always run the line out at the end of the day to get the twist out.

You might want to look at saltwater spinning reels, they have greater capacity.
[signature]
I used several line counter reels. I think the Diawa reels are overpriced. The Penns are excellent, but they don't have line counters which I particular like! I use the Cableas Depthmaster (not their "gold" model) and it has performed flawlessly for over 5 seasons though some really sub zero weather too. The drag is excellent to boot. I got mine for <$50.00 and its worth every penny.
[signature]
I too like my Cabelas depth master. I also prefer a lead cored line with a long leader of mono on the end
[signature]
Lead core while using a downrigger?
[signature]
I have fished with downriggers for several years and have caught a lot of Kokane at the Gorge. What I like best are the Okuma DX20, with the line counter. They cost around $40, have an excellent drag system. I use them primarily because I have my younger boys with me all the time, and if something happens to them they are easy to replace. I also find it extremely important to know how far your line is behind the boat. Early in the year like now, it is important to get the line back behind the boat when the fish are near the top. I would not buy a reel for downrigging unless it had a counter on it.

Also I like the previous comments on the 7-71/2 ft rods. They are fairly easy to store and give you just enough length to get the action you want off the downrigger. As far as line, I use a monofilament in 12lb test for all of my downrigging needs. Hope this helps.
[signature]