Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing rod for tubers & tooners
I know that eveyone here probably thinks this idea is a little off, but today just for kicks I took my Ice Fishing Rod with me on a river float. I usually use my telescoping rod, beacuase of its easiness of storing. But I found that using the ice rod was something of a eye opener. I was fishing on a fairly narrow river with a lot of hang overs,TREES and SUCH, and the little rod came in really handy. Of course this is not what I would usually use on the bigger rivers, but for the little one it was GREAT. I wa quite surprised of how easy it was to bring a 3lb bass in from about 20' away. Since these rods are made mainly for retrieving straight up, I was skeptical of how it would be fighting a fish from a distance.
Has anyone else ever tried to use a ic rod. I was thinking that it would come in handy especially for kayakers.

KAZUALT
[signature]
I have a few Ice rods that I use for tubing. It is funny to watch the look on other tubers faces that are using an equivalent to a tuna rod to catch 1 1/2 pound planted Catfish when I am using a 3foot ice rod to pull up some of the 6 to 7lb hold overs.
[signature]
I found that for jigging in big river or getting up close and personal with the trees on the bank these little TOUGH GUYS have a place in my rod holders. Now all I have to do is figure out how to rig a tip up on my toon and I will be set for the ultimate in leasure fishing, HAHA.
But seriously, since last weekends experiment, I will include my Ice Rod when ever I go tooning. They are so easy to find a place to store. I prerig several jigs before I go, so everything fits in a very small space, adding no weight to the whole equation. I have found that they are strong enough to deal with the rivers here, but sensative enough that you can catch brook trout on.
If Ya haven't try one give it a shot you won't be sorry

KAZUALT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I build most of my own rods, and I make a lot of different ice rods in different lengths...from 2' to 5'. I have found that for vertical jigging perch, in deep water, there is little difference between fishing them from a tube or through an ice hole. Having the shorter rod, with greater feel and control, helps hang some of the light biters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is well known that shorter rods are better for short accurate casts, whereas longer rods are good for making long power casts. No reason why you can't employ a short stick in tight cover. Makes sense to me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But...I don't wanna hear that you take out an ice auger just to complete the illusion that you are ice fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I used a telescoping steel rod when I was a kid in Idaho, but only because that is what my parents bought for me. I didn't know any better then, but I do now. I would never own or use another telescoping rod. Even a multipiece travel rod is not something I would spend money on...or make for myself.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I make just about all my rods on one piece blanks. I have fished enough to know and appreciate the difference in flex and feel with a one piece rod...vs two or more section rods.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, I guess I don't have much constructive to offer about that rod...or any telescoping rod. But, if that is what you like, then go head on 'til your head hurts. Ultimately it is all about personal preference and what others think should make no difference in your choices.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have an old metal Telescopic fly rod. Man what a club! We sure have come a long way.
I would have agreed totally with you a few years ago on the One piece rod over a multi piece (at least in fly fishing which I am sure a rod and a pole have the same wanted flex to the individual) But with the new tech and the new Ferruls, I will have to disagree with a multi piece being an unwanted flex. I would let anyone try my 2 piece 7' 4wt and my four piece 7' 4wt superfines and you will find them so darn close it's crazy.
I know you can get by with a one piece POLE and in shorter 6' fly rods. But don't be afraid of multi pieces these days. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am aware that some of the new ferrules provide good flex and all that. But, they also triple the cost of the blank...if not more. I build and use many different kinds of "utility" rods...spinning and baitcasting. I don't lovingly craft a single flyrod that I use exclusively on all fishing trips. I want a one piece rod and not a lot of ferrules that add only cost and nothing else I can use.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
And that is why you can go fishing everyday LOL[laugh]
Good point. Plus how do you transport a 9' rod[pirate]
I know when I have used a spinning outfit that it was a one piece Ugly Stick and I was very impressed with it.
I do have a custom built Spinning with a reverse reel seat I would love for you to try sometime to see what you think of it.
It is a two piece and I can't rmember which blank, but I loved it back in those days. It is a burnt red color.
I'm still thinking a part time job to afford the gas.........[shocked]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I guess I should not hold forth that I do not use two piece rods. Actually, I probably have at least 20 or more. But, once they are built, I seldom take them down. As you have seen, I take five complete rod/reel setups when I go a-tubin'. They are ready-rigged with an assortment of lures, based upon my projections for what the pattern(s) for the day will be.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I put the two sets of five rods (Me and TubeBabe) in my SUV last, so they ride on top of everything else, and they rest on a bungee cord I have stretched between the clothes hanger hooks on either side. No need to break them down for travel. When we hit the water we just sort them into our rod holder tubes and commence to fishin'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On some longer trips, where we have to condense everything down and pack more carefully, I will take the two piece rods and break them down to better load and unload in a crowded vehicle. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But...I do not own any rod with more than two sections.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A spinning rod with a "reverse reel seat"? Not sure what you mean by that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Forget the part time job to buy gas...just hold up a gas station for a fillup. Be worth more than what is in the cash register.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Here are some pictures of it. It is a 6' Ultra Light
[inline "2007-05-02 001.jpg"]

[inline "2007-05-02 003.jpg"]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It's a purty little thang, but I usually keep my rear handles a bit shorter, for tube fishing. Less likely to hang up the rear of the rod on my vest or anatomy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, I see what you mean about the "reverse" handle. The threaded part is supposed to go toward the back.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll bet it still catches fish...if there is not a "loose nut on the handle".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
This is the telescoping ultra light that I use when I am going on an all day trip or an overnighter
[url "http://www.4fishin.com/Shaktravmate.htm"]http://www.4fishin.com/Shaktravmate.htm[/url]
It is nice because it comes in a kit that holds everything that I need including the rod and reel. It is really inexpensive and beibg only 13" long 6" wide and 3" deep it stores in very little space. When I am loading the toon for those trips every bit of weight I can drop is important.

But my all time favorite rod I own is a 15 year old ugly syick spinning rod with a diawa reel. You can beat the $#$# out of these rods and they stand up to the test.

I guess it all comes down to your length of trip, size of float and just general preference over stiffness of the rod.

KAZUALT
[signature]