Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell (Bullfrog) 4/25 - 4/29
Had a great time at Bullfrog last week. This was my first time to this area of the lake and only my second time to Lake Powell. We fished for 3 days spending most our time catching stripers. We did search for some smallies, largies, and a few walleys but only found a few. I don't know if the smallies have spawned yet or not but they were rather elusive. We had 7 people fishing for 2 days and only 5 people on the third day. We lost count after awhile but our best guess is that we caught somewhere near 500 stripers. We fished every morning til about lunch and would bring all those back to the house boat and fillet what seemed like forever! We would relax in the afternoon in the heat of the day and then go fish for another 3 hours til dark. We didn't keep any of those cause we didn't want to fillet after dark so so we CPR'd most of them. They are starting to get skinny and many did not have much meat for filleting. We caught all the stripers just inside Moki canyon both on the south but mostly on the north wall. It was mostly non stop action and there was no need to chum. We were in about 130-180 feet deep and the fish were suspended at 20-30 feet and thick at times. Almost anything tipped with anchovy worked but we used white tubes 1/8 oz tipped with anchovy. When they were really in a frenzy you didn't even need any anchovy. At one time I caught 24 fish in 25 casts. It was that good. We brought home a lot of fillets which were yummy. It was a great time!
[signature]
Sounds like I missed out on a good time, you know if I were there, I would have caught 25 in 25 casts, you slacker. Why don't you send some pictures. I can't wait to get my fillets. Count me in next year!
D
[signature]
That Moki is some kind of fish machine. I wonder how many tons of fish came from that spot. Good for you on your luck there. I know we will be catch and release fishing for a long time thanks to the cooler full of stripers we caught there. Wish I had room in my schedule to go back.
[signature]
Awesome report !! I have not fished moki canyon in about 4 years when i took my nephew there we slayed the strippers. I have not been there since then because he died and i have not had a fishing partner to go with. But i will always have that memory of him outfishing me! [Smile] Its fun catching those strippers but even more fun filleting them right![Wink]
[signature]