Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Catamount 4-29-07
A friend and I fished North Catamount Reservoir yesterday for the first time. What a gorgeous place! It's part of the Colorado Springs North Slope Recreation area. There are 3 water supply reservoirs open to fishing - North Catamount, South Catamount, and Crystal Creek Reservoir. The North lake is flies and lures only. Bait is allowed in the other 2. Access is from the Pikes Peak toll road and runs $4 per person. You can use hand or electric powered boats, but they have to be brought in on cartop or in the back of a pickup as no trailrers are permitted. You have to carry them down to the water.

We didn't catch a lot of fish, but others who walked farther along the north shore seemed to do better. The lakes have rainbows, brooks, browns, cutthroat, and lake trout. I'll be back.

View of the peak from north shore:

[Image: CopyofN-1.jpg]

Barb with a Kastmaster rainbow:

[Image: CopyofN-2.jpg]

If you bring your tube, bring the neporenes, cuz the ice just went off last week. My new Fat Cat:

[Image: CopyofN.jpg]
[signature]
Looks like a good time. Was thinking about trying it this weekend. Is there a lot of shore access?

Thx Don!

-Jay
[signature]
There is water access all around the lake, Jay. You park up by the dam and then walk around the lake, but there is a good trail and it's easy to get to the water. People who walked farther up the north shoreline toward the inlet did better than we did I think.

Until June 1st the lakes are only open from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Get there early as the parking lot fills up fast.

I haven't been able to access the Colorado Springs website for the regulatrions, but this is what a friend emailed me that he had archived:

CATAMOUNT BOATING & FISHING INFORMATION

* Boats must be brought to the area on car top carriers or in the back of pick-up trucks. Trailers are prohibited on the Pikes Peak Highway. State boating regulations apply.
* Boats must be carried from the parking areas to the boat entry points. Vehicle access to boat entry points is not available.
* Boats must be propelled by oars, paddles or electric motors. Gas engines are prohibited.
* All boaters must wear coast Guard approved personal floatation devises.
* Belly boats may be used.
* All areas require a Colorado fishing license for those ages 16 or older. Children under the age of 16 may take one half of the daily bag and possession limit without a valid Colorado fishing license.
* The bag and possession limit for trout is four fish, no more than two of which may be a lake trout.
* Bait can be used at Crystal Creek and South Catamount reservoirs. North Catamount is restricted to artificial flies and lures only.
* For more information, contact the Colorado Division of Wildlife at (719) 473-2945.
[signature]
Thanx Don! Where you head'in this weekend? I really need to get the smell of Lake Trout on my hands or I may just go insane(not a far drive I know)

-Jay
[signature]
I haven't decided yet, Jay. I think I have a friend coming to town Saturday, so Sunday may be my only shot. I might think about N. Catamount again.
[signature]
That is a beautiful lake, I have never even heard of it. I will try it out sometime this year. Do you know if the lakers are good sized in this lake.
[signature]
I have heard there are still somer decent sized lakers in these waters, but it's second hand info, Jason. I didn't see anything on the graph that looked particularly big and I haven't heard of any big fish from there this year. The lakers I caught were all small and a little on the thin side. Another fisherman did tell me that a friend of his had caught a 22" brook trout on Saturday. Hard to believe, but who knows?
[signature]
Thanks Jon! I like to jig tubes for lakers, too. Whay part of the lake do you do best in??
[signature]
Thanks! I fished that general area from my float tube opening weekend. What a pretty place!
[signature]
...Okay, I have an addition to this. Maybe I should title it differently, but oh well. I fished South Cat yesterday and had some good success. In this reservoir, bait is allowed. I dont usually use bait, but I heard that the Mack's were hitting jigs tipped with sucker meat. Well, that was the case, and we did catch several lakers. They were about the same size( as in length, 16-18 in.) as the North Cat mack's, but they were signifigantly fatter. Anyways, make a day out of it and check out both of these, you'll be happy you did. And starting tomorrow, the road is open from 7 am to 8:30 pm.-Good Times!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Glad you had a good day!
[signature]