Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catching bait fish
[Smile]trying to find the string of tiny flies used to catch baitfish i.e. shad.
It is several tiny flies tied in a continuous string. The Japanese use them. Dont know what they are called or where to get them.
[signature]
Ive caught them off plain gold crappie hooks under dock lights. Even better invest in a castnet
[signature]
Welcome aboard gizbear. The device that you are looking for is called a Sabiki Rig. They are available in 100s of different sizes and configurations.

They are not that hard to tie yourself if you know how to tie dropper loops. Then you will just add a clamping swivel on the bottom for your weight and a simple barrel swivel on the top to tie too.

You can do a google search for the Sabiki rigs. There is a link in my post for google if you need it.[cool]
[signature]
Welcome to the forum gizbear!

That's a great question. TubeN2 put you on the right track. The rig you're refering to is the Sabiki rig. You can purchase them just about anywhere I.E. Basspro, boaterworld, cabelas, etc... They are cheap and very effective.

Shad can be tricky to catch. I use a cast net to get them. Once I mark them on my sonar, i'll toss a cast net over them and get them like that. For shad, and 8' net is best, and they are tricky to learn to throw if you don't have someone in person to show you. 6' and less is pretty easy, but normally not big enough if they are deep.

You'll also need a very high quality live well to keep them alive. They are very frail and need constant fresh water. The live well also needs to be round or oval. If not, thier nose will start turning pink and when it does, they won't be alive much longer. For larger shad, hand sized or bigger, I put one shad per gallon of water. For smaller shad, 5" or less, two per gallon is OK.

I hope this helps. [cool]
[signature]
There is nothing like getting to fishing spot to find out that the bait was brawling! Black eyes and bloody noses.[pirate]
[signature]
Here is a link to some sabiki's. I've never used them, personally...so I don't know anything about them. I'm not posting this link to get you to buy them, just so you can get a look at some different types and manufacturers.

[url "http://discountfishtackle.com/tackleshop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=sabiki"]http://discountfishtackle.com/tackleshop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=sabiki[/url]
[signature]