Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't forget your umbrella
When the inshore run of mullet and menhaden starts along the mid-eastern coast, it can make for some great inshore action. The trick is to get your baits to mimic a school of fish as best as possible, all while keeping a natural presentation. One of my favorite rigs to use is an umbrella:

[Image: 473820223.jpg]

It doesn't get much better than this, and it is very effective for inshore species like mackerel and blues to name a few. They come in all shapes and sizes, and can be modified to the users specifications. They only run about 20 bucks for the smaller ones, and are well worth the money. Make sure and buy a couple packs of the plastics you'll be using on it. They'll get ate up quick alot of times if the bite is hot.

Using an umbrella rig, i'll often only troll two rods. I'll match what ever bait is in the area, and make sure it is rigged heavy enough for what the target species is.

For the money, they are well worth it. Next time you see small bait fish getting cut, pull out your umbrella and give it a pull. I promise it'll be raining fish. [cool]
[signature]
I have to agree with the unbrella rig. Years ago we called them christmas trees and they caught fish. I took one last winter and made all the bait fish into tubes with hooks. When sept. comes around I'll see if I can hook up with 9 blues on one hit. I've done five at one time once many years ago. It is one hot rig. [Wink]
[signature]
Well, it's definately a great rig. With me, I have to pick and choose what equipment I bring along since my boat is only 21'. I don't have but so much storage room, so I select what rigs I bring along based on the season and what's out and about. The umbrella rigs, like any teasure, can clutter up a box pretty quick, LOL, so i'm picky as to the time of year I bring them. Like right now for instance. Now that I know the spanish are in, i'll start bringing a couple umbrella rigs with me just in case. If only I could afford a bigger boat. [Tongue]
[signature]