Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Day 27 mile river trip
Hey All, Well next weekend, me and 2 friends are going on our 4th annual 3 day 27 mile Youghegheny river trip. For those of you that don't know the Yough is a small to medium size river about 25 miles from Pittsburgh Pa. It has excellent fishing and alot of places that you can pull off the river pitch a tent and cook some fresh fish. We take 1 pontoon, my colorado, and 2 kayaks. We use the toon as the mule to carry the camping gear and most of the food. This is one of the best times I have ever ha camping. Maily because you get the best of both worlds. Does anyone else do overnight trips? Heres a pic from one. [signature] [signature]
[signature]
Sounds like alot of fun.
[signature]
That looks pretty fun.
[signature]
It has been a blast in the past,haha
the only thing that kinda stinks is that because I own the toon. I get to be the mule for most of the trip. But thats ok atleast I can stretch my legs when I want and this year with the deck modification and the new 2hp motor it should be a dream.
Last year when we went to bed the 1st nite it had just started to rain. By the time we got up the next morning the water had risen 2 feet and one of our kayaks was mia.We found it about 1 mile down river stuck in a jam. Very lucky for us. Needless to say we learned the lesson of REALLY TYING UP THE BOATS. But as they say,A bad day of fishin beats a good day at work anytime.

KAZUALT
[signature]
That does look like a rush. We sort of do the same but with a truck, Trailer full of boats, plus a camping trailer (don't that tent and ground thing, now I want comfort) and more stillwaters.
No one says you have to be misserable camping, so I am not he he he. Plus I watch my little 8" DVD player, that is roughing it to me [shocked][laugh]
But I do like the idea of float to a clearing, make camp, go to sleep and do it all over again.....right On![cool]
[signature]
Well believe me with the back surgeries I have had, I don't sleep on the ground either. I Have a really good air mattress. Also we stop on the second nite at a camp ground that is along the river. They have a nice rec room. and a bar<HAHA. Playin some pool and drinkin some suds after a 12 hour day rowing, last year not this year[cool], makes for a REALLY GOOD NITE SLEEP.

KAZUALT
[signature]
Hey FG when are you going to mount that 8" DVD player on the toone for when the fishin is slow?
[signature]
... LOL I was just thinking the same thing... [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
That and a bloody mary on a sunday morning, BOY NOW THATS FLOATIN

KAZUALT
[signature]
That would give here the new record. I only have the 7.5inch on mine.[cool]
[signature]
Who the HECK has time to watch a video while fishing![laugh]

Fish like me[blush]
[signature]
You really need to come out to Cali to understand what I'm talking about Sis. We have this magical 3 hour siesta time that the fish take advantage of and decide to take a break.

It sucks trying to kiss up to Union Fish.[pirate]

that is why we have such good movies from So Cal.[cool]
[signature]
If the fish quit biting, you see tippet flying and fly boxes opening up. Frantically trying to find the right offering.
[signature]
I spent many an hour trying one thing after another after another. I went through all the flies in my box, all the spinners, all the power baits, (yarn in a jar), Real worms, the San Juans, Crickets and immitations, meal worms, wax worms.

Finally I said phooey. I'll just come back when the bite picks back up.

As soon as I cracked open a nice cold one, a fish jumped out of the water with a sign. The sign said "You finally figured out what the beer is for on the fishing trip"

After finally keeping a log, I realized that between around 11oclock to close to 3pm, that the fish are down there drinking beer and prefer not to eat at that time.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thus...the origin of the California "wet fly"...the "suds hackle".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was wondering where that Strohs Streamer came from. Somebody had some of those with a Suddsy Bugger, a Caddis Lite, a Bud Fly and a Coors Emerger. After all those flies were used up, they invented the Zonker.[crazy]
[signature]
Kaz,
I'm damn interested in the details of your trip. A friend and I are planning on doing something like that in June. You can keep it in thread or shoot me an email [url "mailto:jamisjockey@yahoo.com"]jamisjockey@yahoo.com[/url]
Thanks,
[signature]
No problem. We did a practice trip today. 15 miles in 7 hours. I used my trolling motor some and did some fishin. I will have photos and I am sure a couple of good tales. The trip is the funnest thing I do all year.
[signature]