Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK...Now what?
I came across something on the web today, about people fishing my muddy old prarie rivers and creeks for carp, catfish, bass, pike, pickerel, and everything else I've never even thought of fishing for with a fly rod. I've always equated fly fishing with clear brooks and trout.

So, I figured these guys just might be onto something. I went and got myself a rod, backing, fly line, leaders, assorted premade flies and poppers...I get everything all together and realize I have no clue what I'm doing. I don't know anyone who fly fishes for trout, never mind the warm-water riverfish from around here. Anyone know what I should do from here? Or did I just waste a bunch of money on one of my impulse buys?
[signature]
There are tons of Videos out there thatare very good. Get one or rent one for beginners to get the ball rolling. Also, great beginner books.
It is easier if you can find someone who already does ff and go and watch and listen.
[signature]
Actually you might find an online video or one at the library. After you find a book or video and get your line all set up, tie a piece of yarn or rag (to take the place of the fly, so you don't hook yourself) go to an area with no trees or obstruction for a long ways around and start playing around with it. 2 basic rule arm your forearm should ONLY move from 10-2 o'clock and don't bend your wrist.

Go for a very gradual movement, nothing jerky and eventually you will start to fel the weight of the line and yarn as it pulls on the rod. As you pulll line out, off the reel, you let the line slip through your fingers that are holding the rod. The more line the "slower" the rod movement is. You use just enough to keep the line in the air. When the loop that is coming forward on your forward cast is like a tight sideways U, your getting real close.

If your here a snap like a whip that is not right, Fly tyers like that sound, it keeps ya comin back for more flies

Mainly your cast should be slow and graceful. I'm sure I Confused you and there will be much better instruction to come. Once ya get it you will enjoy the action very much, then you get to learn how to tie your own flies!!!!
[signature]
Excellent advise idahopanfish. You can teach yourself with what he has offered, for sure.
The only thing I will add, is the movement should be like painting a ceiling or running your hand under a shelf. Straight line, NO WINDSHIELD WIPER!
One other thing on the 10 and 2 is to open the size of the clock on distant cast. In other words, you throw a ping pong ball to someone 10 feet in front of you, your arm is close to your side with little movement, BUT, you wanna throw that Ping Pong ball 60 feet, you will have to brind your arm WAY BACK but still to that 2:00 position.

And one other teaching aid I will offer is put your thumb on the top of the cork and treat it like a hammer, do not break your wrist.
[signature]
Wow. Thank you both for the advice. Much appreciated. I made my way through some online web pages, got the backing on, tied it to my fly line with the knots they had in the diagrams, tied on my leader (more knots), and I'll try out some casting in the back yard before the season picks up.

I don't know if I'll swear of my regular gear, but I'll have some fun experimenting with fly fishing. As always you people on the board are great.
[signature]
Dubie, your fish fish on a fly rod and you will be hooked like the rest of us. Specially if the are on top and the spin casting people just can't get to them.
Even better is watching them come up and suck your fly in. WAHOO!
[signature]
[reply]
Dubie, your fish fish on a fly rod and you will be hooked like the rest of us. Specially if the are on top and the spin casting people just can't get to them.
Even better is watching them come up and suck your fly in. WAHOO! [/reply]

Dubei... I will have to 100% agree with the Goddess here. Like you I did some plinking with a fly rod I bought several years ago. Last year while on vacation to visit family my brother in law set up one of his fly rigs, gave me a basic lesson in casting, watched me for a bit and helped me with the casting, then handed me a box of poppers and said you got the basics, tie on a popper and have fun.

Long story short, I caght a decent sized Large Mouth Bass that day and a good sized bluegill the next day. To say the least I was hooked that day.

Since then I subscribe to several on line boards like this one... ask lots of questions, made a lot of good friends in a very unique and friendly community, and caught a few fish along the way.

So welcome to the board, welcome to flyfishing, and please dont hesitate to ask a question here. There are lots of good people who will answer your question to your satisfaction based on their experiences.

One last thing to remember. All of us on this board and any other fly fishing board you may find all started out the same way as you are now.. so dont be shy (these ppl wont let you be shy.. that I guarantee...[sly] ).

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi Dubie and welcome to the FF&T board. Nice to have a serviceman join our group. Everyone has given you good advise. I might add that fly casting is not about power. Like in the golf swing its tempo & timing. It is no problem to cast 50 or more with a nice easy motion. If you PM me your e-mail address I will try and foward you a video or two. I say try as they are rather large in size. Thanks for stopping by and hope to see a picture of your first catch. Good luck.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I've sent you my email address. Don't worry to much of the files are too big. Again, I apreciate all the advice from everyone, and I'll definately post my first fly catch here [Wink]
[signature]
As soon as you have that down give me a holler. I'm going to show you something totally different. I won't confuse you now but be open minded for the future lesson in Spey Casting.[cool]
[signature]
You forgot another good one. Carp on a fly by Flygoddess.[cool]
[signature]
First thing for you to remember (there are 67,356,965 things total to remember) is, you're not throwing a lure, worm and sinker or anything with weight on it. The fly is virtually weightless.
The fly line is what is weighted. That is why a fly fisher false casts (# 9 of 67,356,965) to get the fly line out (and to dry off the fly)
Like mentioned videos and your fly rod. Jack Dennis has lots of good beginner videos. I highly recommend Jacks stuff. Libraries are also a good place to check.
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]You can also rent fly fishing videos from Netflix.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
[reply]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]You can also rent fly fishing videos from Netflix.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [/reply]
can ya rent fish to have a picture taken with.. I keep getting skunked.. [sly]
[signature]
Ya need to take the yarn off the line and put on a fly with a hook[Wink]
[signature]
[reply]
Ya need to take the yarn off the line and put on a fly with a hook[Wink] [/reply]

[#002850]Dang...I knew I was missing some important point.. gots to get a fly on a hook on the line... got it.. [sly][/#002850]
[#002850][/#002850]
[#002850]MacFly [cool][/#002850]
[signature]
Now that was funny! POOR MAC FLY![unsure]
[signature]
[reply]
Now that was funny! POOR MAC FLY![unsure] [/reply]

[#005000]Hmmmmmmm poor...no..smelly maybe from all the skunkings.. but.. with each skunking I do learn something new or come away with a question that I post here cuz I know I will get a straight answer... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[/#005000]
[signature]
[reply]
[reply]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]You can also rent fly fishing videos from Netflix.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [/reply]
can ya rent fish to have a picture taken with.. I keep getting skunked.. [sly] [/reply]
[signature]
Take off the yarn, rent the DVD, rent the fish, rent the camera ..........

Did you ever think of renting a Guide??? hee hee.[cool]
[signature]