Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Report 5/2/2007 Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan
[font "Verdana"][size 1][center]Fish Report 5/2/2007 Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan [/center]
April fishing continues very good. Most of our trips are catching limits on Browns with a few Rainbows, Lakers and Chinooks. The water flowing into Milwaukee harbor is 52 degrees and the lake is 46. We have been fishing the temp breaks in front of the river mouth and harbor gaps marking fish at all depths. Lots of bait fish around. The south gap was very good due to the northwest wind pushing the warm harbor out the gap. Always consider the wind direction and where the best temp breaks are created from the movement of the water. Our best presentations are Yellow Bird planer boards with 25 foot leads behind the boards and downriggers 20 to 25 feet down. Slide Divers are producing very well set to #1 with 20 feet of line out. We had some fish on downriggers but the majority of fish came in the top 15 feet on Slide Divers and Yellow Birds. The way I set up a planer board is with 20 lb. mono to a 1/4-ounce bead chain sinker. Use 8 feet of 18 lb. Seaguar Fluoro Premier fluorocarbon leader from the sinker to a size #1 Cross Lock snap and lure. The fish have not been too particular. Most 3-4 inch spoons are taking fish. Some of our best producers have been Vulcan Silver Sky, Nestor Wobblers Sun Burn Glow sold at Badger Tackle .com Michigan Stinger Jawbreaker, Tourney Winner and most of their silver orange spoons. There is also Lake Trout being caught in 40 to 80 feet of water north of Milwaukee I have no info on what presentation or how deep. Our best boat speed was 2.0 to 2.4 mph. For cold water keep your speed down. Have a great fishing season. Let's go fishing!! Copyright© 2007, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thats some good information on the use of the side planers! Thanks a lot for sharing the details. I got my first set of yellowbirds this year and I think I'm starting to get it!

What is a slide diver? I've used jet divers and dipsy divers, but they pull pretty hard and take away from the fight too much in my opinion. How do these slide divers work? Do they add a lot of pull?

What size lakers are you guys getting up there?

I'm heading out of town in a few hours, but I'll look for your reply when I get back in a few days!

Thanks again for the report!
[signature]