Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you on the bandwagon yet?
You know, fishing in saltwater most of the time, I use fluorocarbon in many of my applications and feel that it does make a difference; especially with species of fish that have excellent sub-level to surface vision and/or finiky eatters. I was curious how many of you freshwater anglers have gone to fluorocarbon for a leader material. I'm sure it would make for a great advantage, especially for an application like bass fishing in very clear water.

So, how many use fluorocarbon? What applications do you use it for? Why do you like or dislike the product?
[signature]
I haventried it yet brian, Im a braided guy myself. Most of the water in my neck of the woods its always off color. I fish a few small ponds with big bass where a fluorocarbon leader might help out alot. These ponds hold some huge 10 pound plus largemouths that seem to have lock jaw most the time. I can trick them every now and then like the one in my side picture came out of one of those small ponds.
[signature]
I think it would make a big difference. I actually tested the idea of the line being invisible in the water while I was in Guam. My buddy and I took a bunch of different color lines to the water as well as a strip of Fluorocarbon. I believe 20lb fluoro. I put on my skin diving gear and went under with the different lines. The fluoro really does near vanish under the surface. Pretty cool stuff.

If I were you, i'd get me a spool of 10 lb and give it a try. You can tie it right to your braid with an Albright knot. Don't use the double uni because of the difference in Diameter. The box your braided line came with should also have instructions on how to tie that knot or a similar one that will work. Just about a 2' leader would be all you'd need.

I'd give it a try and see how it fairs out. I was skepticle at first, until I started catching more fish. [Wink]
[signature]
I use Flurocarbon leaders when flyfishing to very picky trout in still water.....Im talking 14 ft 6x leaders! It was fun....and very [size 1]challenging[/size]
[signature]
I think Im gonna give it a try. Most places I fish the water is so murky Im fine with my braid. But theres a few small clearwater lakes where I think it would be very beneficial. Thanks for the info guys,
[signature]
Hey Matt. Many times it is good to at least top shot the braided line with some flourocarbon. You can use anywhere from 3 to 15 feet of line.[cool]
[signature]