Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jig to fly conversion ??
Okay not a conversion in the strictest sense but .... [sly]

I was reading some fish reposrts on local lakes and the one I really want to hit again is saying "small golden shiners and small finger jigs" are working best..

What fly or flies would be similar the golden shiner or a finger jig ?

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I would say a bunny or a woolly bugger in the same color.
[signature]
I had in mind the wooly bugger in a brown or darker color.. maybe an olive.. uhmmmmm not sure what a bunny is...[unsure]

The finger jigs I think are like these [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SceneSevenDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=-37539&scene7Path=BassPro%2f72002%3flayer%3dcomp%26wid%3d500%26hei%3d500%26fmt%3djpeg%26qlt%3d100%2c0%26op_sharpen%3d0%26resMode%3dnorm%26op_usm%3d1.0%2c1.0%2c0.0%2c0&sourceName=images2%2f72000%2f72002.jpg&type=0&linkEnabled=false"]jigs at bass pro[/url] ... [Smile]
(if this link does not work or is too slow got to bass pro and type in finger jigs in the search box.. second one in from left in the first row that comes up)....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
WOOLLYY BUGGERS all the way. Try bead or cone head ones also.
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]How about a Clouser Minnow FGD? About a size #10.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Got a couple of both ... will have to check my "stock"... [Smile]

Plus I do have one of the jig sets I reffed at basspro.. maybe as a last ditch alternative..

MacFly
[signature]
Clousers are great. The picture looked like marabou so maybe a Moerabou Clouser. You could cast one with a fly rod provided it is a smaller jig head. Remember to stay to the side so as not to clip the tip of the rod. That is how 90% break.
[signature]
[reply]
"Remember to stay to the side so as not to clip the tip of the rod. That is how 90% break." [/reply]

I know I am really showing my nubiness here ... or is it memory loss at an advancing age..either way.. not exactly sure what you are saying here... am I cast the at more of a side angle instead of stright back and forth.. and what can get broken... [crazy]

MacFly
[signature]
You are still going forward and backward, just off to the side more so the fly (being a lot heavier) stays away from you and the rod tip. A small knick in a rod tip will cause it to snap at some point.
[signature]
[#000050]That what I thought you meant but wanted to make sure that my brain was still working correctly...:-)... [/#000050]
[#000050][/#000050]
[#000050]btw.. u having fun with that new toy of yours... [Wink][/#000050]
[#000050][/#000050]
[#000050]MacFly [cool][/#000050]
[signature]
[unimpressed]You will learn quickly to keep that Clouser out to the side. It sounds like a Winged Predator coming in on you from your back when you are casting it.

Bass take a worm kinda slow. Mouth it and try to swim off with it.
But with a Clouser, they hit it.
Like they were meaning to make a 'near miss' pass, coming in at warp speed and snagged the hook as they were going by.
You'll notice a bite right away!

Even Crappie take a Clouser in a viscious manner.
[signature]
Thudpucker, where the heck you been! Good hearing from you again.
[signature]
You could use the Zonkers in a gold color. Olive or Tan Pistol Petes sound about right too. Hornbergs would be a dead ringer.

I bet even the Mangos would be good in that case too. They are closer to the golden shiners that we have in SoCal.

[cool]
[signature]
okay..you did it again.. I know what the pistol pete is but...

zonkers?
hornbergs?
mangos?

You lost me here again... good thing I did not put in that fly order yet...Lol
[signature]
The Zonker uses some of the Bunny material. Here is the Recipe
Hook:Tiemco #300 size 4 (any long shank streamer hook, sizes #2-#8)
Thread:Olive&White 6/0
Weight:Large lead wire
Underbody:White antron dubbing
Body:Pearl mylar piping
Wing/back:Olive Zonker strip
Hackle:Dyed olive grizzly marabou

Just use the golden colors for this instead of the olive.

[font "Arial"][size 2]Here is a picture of a Hornberg. The recipe is quite simple. These are excellent for Bass and larger Trout.[Image: hornberg-fly.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman, Times, serif"][#666666][size 4]
[/size][/#666666][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2] [/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 2] The Hornberg is usually tied on a long shank hook in sizes # 6-10. That’s not to say a #4 3x would be out of place nor would a #10 or 12 tied as a dry fly. The body is of flat silver tinsel although I have used the gold with no noticeable difference. The body is enclosed by a pair of yellow hen neck hackles (some use yellow calf or buck tail) extending past the bend in the hook. A pair of wider and slightly longer mallard breast feathers is tied flat against the yellow underbody. The ends of the mallard feathers are stroked together and into a point that is then maintained with a drop of head cement. Cheeks of jungle cock are then applied on either side. Starling breast feathers will also work here. Leave plenty of room at the head end to accommodate at least two grizzly hen neck hackles wrapped in opposite directions. The hackle needs to be soft but full. A small head of black thread completes the fly.[/size][/font]

The Mango is just another Zonker but with brighter flash colos like that of a Mango.

[url "http://www.globalflyfisher.com/patterns/mango/pic.php?id=2663&caller=index&cl=lightframe"][Image: small_IMG_4621.jpg]
[/url][font "arial"]Hook[/font][font "arial"]Streamer, size 2-6.[/font][font "arial"]Thread[/font][font "arial"]Rusty, 8/0.[/font][font "arial"]Underbody[/font][font "arial"]Red yarn.[/font][font "arial"]Body[/font][font "arial"]Re-Flash Tubing, orange.[/font][font "arial"]Tail[/font][font "arial"]Hackle fibres, mixed yellow and orange.[/font][font "arial"]Wing[/font][font "arial"]Zonker strip, cross coloured, orange/yellow.[/font][font "arial"]False hackle (throat)[/font][font "arial"]Orange hackle fibres, let them almost reach the hook point.[/font]

[ol][li]Mix a tail from yellow and orange hackle fibres. Tie them in just above the hook bend.[/li][li]Tie in the yarn and turn it over the shank to form a nice tapered under body.[/li][li]Let the tube slide down the shank. Secure it just above the hook bend. Make 1-2 mm of the tube stand out from the secure point.[/li][li]Tie in the zonker strip. Let 1-2 mm stand out from the secure point. Avoid trapping the hair.[/li][li]Whipfinish.[/li][li]Tie down the tupe at the head.[/li][li]Tie down the zonker strip at the head. Make sure to stretch it, as it gets sloppy when wet.[/li][li]Tie in a bunch of orange hackle fibres as a false hackle.[/li][li]Form a nice little head and whipfinish.[/li][/ol]
[signature]
Easy thing to remember, Bright Day, bright colored fly, Dark days (and Night) dark colored flies.
The deeper you go try Reds and Purples because of the colors changing in water.
[signature]
I am sure I have heard this before but it makes perfect sense.. plus I did not know about the reds and purples as you go deeper.. see.. even this old dog can learn a trick or two.. lol...

MacFly
[signature]
I don't think that anyone has enough line to make the Purple dissappear.

Red is still visible up to 30 feet.

Just think of the spectrum in white light.

Infra Red, Red, Orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, ultra violet.

Different colors at different depths as well as light conditions, and water clarity.[cool]
[signature]