Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphite fishing rod repair
I own a Cabela's brand innercast graphite rod. This is the type of rod where the line runs through the inside of the pole (no guides). One must use a steel leader, that is supplied with the rod, to initially get your line through the rod. Well, I was daydreaming the other night (thinking about fishing Bear Lake) while inserting the steel leader inside of the rod, and managed to get the leader totally inside of the rod (none of the steel leader is visible). I realize it was a stupid thing to do, but now I have to deal with the problem. I have tried tapping the rod tip, hoping that the leader will come back out, but it appears that the rod tip has a ridge on the inside of it, and the steel leader is likely against the side of the rod and catching on it. The openning at the rod tip is also too small to try to insert anything even close to the size of tweezers. I have emailed Cabela's and they have no suggestions and say that it is made by a privat label manufacturer (probably in a foreign country) and so I can't get any guidance from the manufacturer. He also did not know of any other companies that make an innercast rod. It appears to me the only way that I can get the wire out is to heat the tip and hopefully the glue that was used will soften and the tip will come off. The tip is also thread wrapped and the wrap is varnished. I assume that graphite can take more heat than fiberglass, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions from you experts?

Thanks from the gear challenged fisherman,
[signature]
Kent, I don't have any experience with the innercast rods, but I have a couple of suggestions.

The first thing that I would try is to make some sort of hook that could reach into the tip and maybe lift the wire through the tip. Now without knowing exactly what the tip is like on your rod, I can only guess what will work. I would try using a paperclip and twisting it into a cork screw shape if you can and reach it into the tip and twist it, hopefully grabbing the loose wire inside and coaxing it out. You will probably want to sharpen the tip so it has a better chance to pick up the wire.

If all else fails you could try to remove the tip like you mentioned. Most tips are put on with either hot glue type stuff or 5 minute epoxy, both of which can be heated to remove tip. Since the tip on the innercast is bigger, it has more surface area for glue to grip to. But if you are careful, you should be able to remove the tip without damaging the tip wrap and finish. Just heat it and give it a twist. First try a small amount of heat from a lighter and then increase the heat until it comes lose. Your graphite rod should be able to resist the heat required to break the bond, but be careful. If you can't get it off without damaging the tip wrap, I will help you wrap it again, it isn't too hard to do as long as we can match the thread color.

Let me know if you have any luck.
[signature]
I don't have a answer for you on how to get the wire "leader" out, but I find it strange Cabelas told you they didn't know of any other companies that made an "innercast" rod. Perhaps they meant they didn't know of any other companies who currently make that type rod, but I've seen that type rod advertised by Daiwa. I haven't seen anything about that type Daiwa for a little while now.
[signature]
P.S.

Reason I said I thought it was strange Cabelas told you they didn't know of any other companies making that type rod was I'm sure Cabelas used to sell the Daiwa.

I just checked the Daiwa webside. They still sell what they call their Interline rod lines. They're just like the rod of yours you described.
[signature]
Apparently the wire came out after I took the butt off of the pole, at least it doesn't seem to be in there.
[signature]
Wow, a reply almost 4 years after I made a post!
[signature]
Yep, I guess some threads hang around for a long time. BTW -- I still own that rod (never use it though, not sure why) and the wire is still inside of it somewhere. At least I think the wire is inside of it.
[signature]