Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solo Gorge Trip
You may bash me for this post I deserve it.
To start I forgot my heavy pole at home. But while up there I decided to go for macs anyways. The heaviest line I could find was ten pound up there. So I went for it, I rented a boat at cedar springs and took off. I put a 3oz. weight and a 4oz. rainbow mega bait charlie on, and started dipping it down the water thru my hand. It only made it about 40 feet then it stopped dropping, so I JERK the pole up just to think I was snagged untill a few seconds later my line starts peeling off. It was getting close to the end of my line so I turned the engine on and chased it which worked great. But after twenty minutes and chasing it with the motor, I allowed my line to get limp for too long just to find the only weight was my sinker[mad]. The hook got out and I got me a good ol' sore back and wrist out of it,and funny pics of my pole bent right in half. So folks come prepared unlike me. The rest of trip was a murder spree on the rainbow and kokes. Some dam nice sized rainbows too. I hit the green for a day for some fly and lure action. Caught quite few with the little grey scud and a beautiful cutt on a panther martin. All fish were released and i'll have photos later
[signature]
Brown from green
rainbow from gorge
koke from gorge

[#ff0000]EDIT: Your attachment (pics) was over 6 MB. Maximum size is 300 KB. Do not attach scanner pics. Change them to Jpeg and attach them separately. I did that for you. TD[/#ff0000]
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report, too bad you lost that big fish. What were you using for the kokes? WH2
[signature]
I read that kokes are not the biggest predators. But they'll bite a lure because of it's pretty colors. flouescent green and orange spoon worked the best. And the blue fox silver with pink and blue body busted a couple.
[signature]
I've never tried a blue fox but the colors sound the same as I use. What area were you fishing? WH2
[signature]
I busted the mac about 50 yards away from shore on mustange ridge. And the kokes and bows were hangin about 4 feet below the surface and five feet from shore just east of the marina at cedar springs.
[signature]
I've never fished that side for kokes, I'll have to give it a try. How big was the boat you rented? I've always been nervous about going across that open water, it must have been a calm day.
[signature]
well it got nasty at times but 80% of the day it was calm lucky me. I was the only boater I saw on that side all day. I was in a littler fishing boat with no electronics. It was descent though lots of room for the mac to walk me in circles. The waves the next morning would have eatin me and that boat for breakfast though. Once again lucky me
[signature]
Years ago, on my first trip to the Gorge I was in a small 14 ft boat. I made the mistake of going across to the other side and almost did not make it back. I got drenched and it took forever to get back but I was very lucky the old motor I had didn't die. I've got a bigger boat now but I never forget that lesson, the Gorge can be a very dangerous place. Take care and again thanks for the info. WH2
[signature]
Way to go on your trip . I had plans of going by now but money always gets in my way . If I'm am lucky I may get there by fall .
[signature]
Lesson learned I hope. Never go after the Macks without the right equip. 20 min of fighting one of those guys is not good on you or the fish. Glad you got into the bows and kokes.

Wyobraz
[signature]
lesson was definetly learned. I have all the equipment , just left it at home. I was nervous about the stress on the fish, but I think he made it all right. To my understanding they will fight to the death.But I hope some good comes out of this post so nobody else makes the same mistake. I'll be working at cedar springs marina this summer so I'm sure i'll get the macs 101 teachings from them experienced fellas.
[signature]
[center]So you caught that kokanee from shore? Never done that before.[/center]
[signature]
In no way did I have kokes on my mind but there they were. I busted three from shore and out of all fish caught, the kokes were so close to the shore I saw two of them actually bite the spoon. And the other not that much further. All fish bit at most fifteen feet from shore.
[signature]