Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Kokanee of the season!
Well, I finally got out and got my first kokes of the season. We fluked into one a month ago, but this was the first chance we've had this year to really target them. The main lake was about 49 degrees on the surface and not many kokes to be found. We went back into a few bays and found surface temps at a balmy 51 degrees. I think the slightly warmer water was the key. The bays were loaded with kokanee! We caught all we could handle, but nothing over 3 lbs yet. That is a pretty healthy koke, but not by Flaming Gorge standards. I think thats more average. We'll get the bigger ones when they mature a bit more, and get aggressive with rising water temps.

Best baits by a long shot were Rocky Mountain Tackle's new 1.5 inch UV hoochies, trailed 10 inches behind one of their fire ice dodgers. The hyper plaid dodger had a strong showing too though. Other good baits included wedding rings, apexes, and even the old Tasmanian Devil. But again, the UV hoochies were the ticket!

Weather was tough and we weren't able to fish as much as we would have liked to. The wind was really bad and the rain/sleet/snow was hard to deal with! But, in the brief windows of manageable weather we did really well!

The mackinaw bite was slow for us, when we targetted them. I managed one 5 pounder, but that is nothing compared to what is in there.

The fish pics are on a film camera, but I snapped a couple of weather shots with my phone. Here is what we woke up to this morning.

[inline 05-05-07_09342.JPG]

And, heres what we got to drive home on...

[inline 05-05-07_11312.JPG]

Dang Wyoming weather! But, since our trip was cut short by weather... we'll go back up in a week or so! I'll use any excuse I can to get back up there!

Overall, a tough but fun weekend!
[signature]
Wow.. I love snow, but I'm thinking that I'm happy with there not being any here in May.. Can't wait to see the fish..
[signature]
I don't miss that Wyoming weather at all. Sounds like you still did okay.
[signature]
Man you definately made the right decision to leave early. Can you believe that it is still snowing.[Sad] We got about 6 more inches overnite and it is still coming down hard right now.
Good report on the kokes though! I will be giving the kokes a shot in the very near future. I'll keep you all informed on how I do.

Wyobraz
[signature]
What a die-hard!! Cool report, BK ...(pun intended) [Tongue]

what depth were they at?
[signature]
Die hard? We came home early! Sounds like we made the right choice though! Thanks for the update Wyobraz!

The kokes were all caught from 15-25 feet down on downriggers. I did get a couple down at 40 feet, but they were the exception. Like I said before, temperature seemed to have a lot to do with where we found the kokes. It was a little warmer in the bays and the kokes really were not too deep. I can't wait for the sun to come out so the koke fishing will turn on for real!
[signature]
I won't even complain. When I get tired of the Cold and Ice in So Cal, I just get out of the ice chest and close the lid.[cool]
[signature]
Well, in my eye's you went out in it - fair weather its not!.. coming back 'early' is subjective plus, it appears it was wise on your part!!.. I fish a lot of 'weather' and it can turn out to be down right miserable on a guy.. [Wink]
[signature]
Honestly we may have stayed another day or two, but my grandpa was pretty miserable. He does pretty good for an 82 year old, but he has his limits. So do I! So, it was a nice excuse for us! And yes, it sounds like it worked out for the better anyways!
[signature]