Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More gun control insanity
[url "http://www.gunowners.org/a042607.htm"]Congressional Leaders Moving To Pass Gun Control Without A Vote!
-- McCarthy bill would treat gun owners even worse than terrorists [/url]
Everyone must voice their opinions before you no longer have the right to.
[signature]
did you see that the right to own and bear arms amenment is now on trial in the supreme court?

I am kind of antcy to hear thier final judgment...
[signature]
Here's what I think.

[inline 2nd.gif]
[signature]
LOL,

4 high school kids in detroit just got expelled from school...

posing for a picture holding hand guns, and fully automated machein gun... and posting the photo on the internet..... They said it was susposed to be for a cover of a cd album... "I dont think so, they would have sent it off to be copy written before any one ever saw the pic" It would be years before the photo would ever be released.... this was a terrorist act....

this aint a witch hunt, thier actions speak loud and clear.....

personaly I think the school is doing the right thihng, I hope the court will demand the law to seek out the machein gun and inforce the laws we have already imposed.... we dont need any new one, just inforce the ones we have.... and no rist slappings...

these kids along with all the rest of the kids in this country needs to know we have standards of responcibility and terrorist behavour will not be tollerated...

michigan laws state that no one under the age of 18 may possess a fire arm except under the exeptions provided under michigan hunting and target shooting laws while under the supervision of a parent or guardian...

michigan laws also states that no one under the age of 21 may be in possesion of a hand gun except in a gun range under the supervision of the owner of the gun.

michigan law also states that no one may be in possesion of a fully automated fire arm except under permit.

michigan law states it is unlawfull to brandish a fire arm in a manor that is threatening in nature...

these are not laws against the guns, they are laws prohibiting disrespectful use and who may posses fire arms....

I dont beleive that any one who is not a citisen should be aloud the rights to possess a firearm not even under special permit... except for hunting and sport shooting perposes and the gun must be in check at all times... That is the one gun law we dont have and is the one law we should have...
[signature]
I agree 100%. Citizenship should be a requirement for any type of gun-ownership.
[signature]
Quote:michigan laws also states that no one under the age of 21 may be in possesion of a hand gun except in a gun range under the supervision of the owner of the gun.
Actually, Michigan law allows an individidual to obtain a pistol purchase permit, buy a pistol (and have it safety inspected), own a pistol, and open-carry said pistol at 18. The only catch is that the pistol can't be bought from a dealer.

Quote:
I dont beleive that any one who is not a citisen should be aloud the rights to possess a firearm not even under special permit... except for hunting and sport shooting perposes and the gun must be in check at all times...

As it stands we do have a federal law that prohibits gun ownership for non-immigrant aliens to posession for sporting purposes.
PA used to have a law against non-citizens owning guns. The state court there said the state could prohibit them from owning shotguns, because they were hunting guns and there is no right to hunt, but that they did have a right to own handguns for self defense, which is a right.
[signature]

here are some of the hand gun laws for the state of michigan and federal laws "not all"

[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010]
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][url "http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59"][#0000cc][size 5]NRA-ILA :: Federal Gun Laws[/size][/#0000cc][/url][/font]

[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010][/#00e010][/font]
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010]Purchasing Firearms in Michigan[/#00e010][/font]
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]
An individual must apply to their local police or sheriff's department for a License to Purchase a Pistol prior to obtaining a pistol. [size 2]A license to purchase is not needed for an individual with a CCW license. However, a NICS check must be completed by the FFL (Federal Fireams Licensee) prior to the transfer of the firearm.[/size]

The police authority will check for any criminal record at both the state and national level.

The applicant must answer gun related questions on a Basic Pistol Safety Questionnaire, with at least 70% correct, and swear before a notary that they meet the statutory requirements to own a pistol.

The License to Purchase a Pistol form must be completed even though the applicant may already have possession of a pistol, such as through an inheritance. Federal firearms licensed dealers are not exempt from this section of the law and must also get a license any time they purchase/acquire a pistol from an individual or another gun dealer. There is an exemption only for dealers purchasing pistols directly from the manufacturer or wholesaler.

A License to Purchase a Pistol is valid for 10 days to purchase a pistol. The seller must sign the license and keep one copy for his/her records. An individual must return to the local police department within 10 days of purchasing the pistol, return the two remaining copies of the license, and present the pistol for a Safety Inspection Certificate. Dealers are exempt from the safety inspection requirements on pistols kept solely for the purpose of resale.

Some agencies require all unused license to purchase forms be returned to them for record keeping purposes.

These forms are licenses to purchase a pistol and the purpose is not to circumvent the required NICS (National Instant Check System) check when buying a shotgun or rifle from an FFL dealer.[/black][/font][/#00e010][/font]
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010][/#00e010][/font]

[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010]Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs[/#00e010][/font]
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]
[/url][font "Arial, Helvetica"]This information is provided, as a public service, for general information purposes only. It is not intended to be relied upon as legal authority for the Michigan firearms laws. You should consult with a private attorney or your local Michigan county prosecutor for a legal interpretation or any updates of the Michigan statutes.[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"][size 2][url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Concealed_Pistol_License__CCW_Permit____Renewal"][#000000]Concealed Pistol License (CCW Permit) & Renewal [/#000000][/url]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#INFORMATION_FOR_CPL_HOLDERS"][#000000]Information for CPL Holders [/#000000][/url]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10957--,00.html"][#000000]Reciprocity for Michigan CPL's [/#000000][/url]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Concealed_Weapons__Non_CPL_Holders_"][#000000]Concealed Weapons (Non-CPL Holders) [/#000000][/url]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Pistol_Registration__Purchase____Transfer"][#000000]Pistol Registration, Purchase, & Transfer [/#000000][/url]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#FIREARMS_RIGHTS"][#000000]Firearms Rights - Persons convicted of crimes or subject to a PPO [/#000000][/url]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#OTHER_WEAPONS__NON_PISTOLS_"][#000000]Other Weapons (Non-Pistols) [/#000000][/url]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#NON_MICHIGAN_RESIDENTS"][#000000]Non-Michigan Residents [/#000000][/url]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#FEDERAL_FIREARMS_LAWS"][#000000]Federal Firearms Laws [/#000000][/url]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#FEDERAL_FIREARMS_DEALER_QUESTIONS"][#000000]Federal Firearms Dealer Questions [/#000000][/url]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#MISCELLANEOUS"][font "Arial, Helvetica"][size 2][#000000]Miscellaneous [/#000000][/size][/font][/url]

[/size][/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"][size 2]
[/size][/font] [center][/url][size 3]Concealed Pistol License (CCW Permit) & Renewal
[/size]
[/center]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]1. What are the requirements to receive a concealed pistol permit?
MCL 28.425b Please select the below website for an outlined description. Please see:[/font] [url "http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html"][#000000][font "Arial, Helvetica"]Requirements to Obtain a Permit[/font] [/#000000][/url]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]2. How do I renew my concealed pistol permit?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.425l Please see: [url "http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10955--,00.html"][font "Arial, Helvetica"][#0000ff]Permit Renewal[/#0000ff][/font][#000000] [/#000000][/url][#0000ff] [/#0000ff] for an outlined description for renewal procedures.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]3. How long is the Concealed Pistol License course that I took valid? MCL 28.425j specifies what conditions must be met in the course required to get a Concealed Pistol License. One of those requirements is that the program provides a certificate of completion stating the program complies with the requirements of this section. There is not an expiration date on the training. However, your local county gun board will review the training certificate to see if is acceptable.
[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"][size 2]4. I received my original Concealed Pistol License after July 1, 2001 and have since moved to another county. Do I need to reapply in the new county? No. The Concealed Pistol License is a state license and a change of county residency does not change the status. However, when your license expires, the renewal of that license should occur in your new county of residence.

[/size][/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]5. How old do I have to be in order to apply for a concealed pistol permit?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.421 Twenty-one (21) years of age.
[/font]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Top"][#000000]Top of Page[/#000000][/url]

[center][font "Arial, Helvetica"][/url][size 3]Information for CPL Holders[/size]

[/font][/center] [left][font "Arial, Helvetica"]1. What must a CCW permit holder do when "stopped" by police?[/font] [/left]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]Please See:[/font] [url "http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10941--,00.html"][#000000][font "Arial, Helvetica"]Encounters with Police.[/font] [/#000000][/url]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]2. Are there any places where I may not carry a concealed pistol? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.425o Anyone licensed to carry a concealed pistol from Michigan or another state shall not carry a concealed pistol in any of the pistol free zones. For a complete list, please see:[/font] [url "http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10947--,00.html"][#000000][font "Arial, Helvetica"]Pistol Free Areas[/font] [/#000000][/url][font "Arial, Helvetica"]. Under Federal law, firearms are also restricted in federal facilities. A federal facility means "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the federal government, where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties." This includes facilities such as post offices and federal courts.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]3. When may a concealed pistol be seized?
MCL 28.425g. A pistol carried in violation of this act is subject to seizure and forfeiture in the same manner that property is subject to seizure and forfeiture under sections 4701 to 4709 of the revised judicature act of 961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.4701 to 600.4709. This section does not apply if the violation is a state civil infraction under section 5f unless the individual fails to present his or her license within the 45-day period described in that section.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"][font "Arial, Helvetica"]4. Does my valid Concealed Pistol License allow me to carry a concealed pistol in a state park?[/font]
Yes. MCL 324.504 states that the DNR cannot promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits a ccw holder from carrying on property under the control of the DNR.[/font]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Top"][font "Arial, Helvetica"][#000000][size 2]Top of Page

[/size][/#000000][/font][/url]
[center][font "Arial, Helvetica"][size 3][/url]Concealed Weapons (Non-CPL Holders)[/size]

[/font][/center]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]1. If I do not have a CCW permit, may I transport my pistol in a motor vehicle? MCL 750.231a A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle. [/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]The law defines ‘lawful purpose' as:[/font] [ul] [li][font "Arial, Helvetica"]While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.[/font] [li][font "Arial, Helvetica"]While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.[/font] [li][font "Arial, Helvetica"]While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.[/font] [li][font "Arial, Helvetica"]While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.[/font] [li][font "Arial, Helvetica"]While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.[/font] [li][font "Arial, Helvetica"]While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.[/font] [li] [font "Arial, Helvetica"]While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.[/font] [/li][/ul]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]2. I work as a security guard. Does my profession entitle me to carry a concealed pistol without a license in Michigan as required by my employer?
MCL 750.227 No. You can only carry a pistol while on duty on the premises of your employer and only if it is exposed.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]If you wish to carry a pistol concealed, you must obtain a concealed pistol license through the county gun board.[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]28.425n(2)b This does not prohibit an employer from prohibiting the carrying of the concealed pistol while in the course of his or her employment with that employer.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]3. Do I need a concealed pistol permit to carry my pistols while walking through the woods near my cabin in Michigan? If not, are there any restrictions on how or where the gun is carried?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.227 allows you to carry a pistol concealed or not if you are in your own home or on your own property. If you do not own the land, no license is needed to carry a pistol as long as it is exposed. However, should a person cover the pistol during inclement weather with a jacket or coat or get into a vehicle, the pistol would be concealed, and the carrier would place himself in jeopardy unless he possessed a concealed pistol permit. Per Attorney General's opinion #3158 dated February 14, 1945, a holster, in plain view, is not considered concealed. Department of Natural Resources regulations require a person to have a valid Michigan hunting license if in an area inhabited by wildlife, while in possession of a firearm.[/font]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Top"][#000000][font "Arial, Helvetica"][size 2]Top of Page[/size][/font] [/#000000][/url]

[center][size 3][/url]Pistol Registration, Purchase, & Transfer for Michigan Residents[/size]

[/center]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]1. Are there any fees for the following Michigan forms? [/font] [indent]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]License to Purchase: MCL 28.423 was repealed by PA 381 of 2000 eliminating the $5 processing fee for obtaining a License to Purchase. However, you may be charged a fee to notarize the application for a License to Purchase.
Safety Inspection Certificate (registration): MCL 28.429 There is no charge for the Safety Inspection Certificate.
License to Carry a Concealed Pistol: MCL 28.425b(5) The application fee is $105 payable to the county clerk at the time the application is filed. Fingerprinting at the county sheriff's office is included in this cost. If you choose to be fingerprinted by a local police agency, that agency may charge an additional fee up to $15 for fingerprinting costs.[/font] [/indent]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]2. I have a replica of an antique pistol. Is it necessary that this pistol be registered in Michigan? Is it necessary that I obtain a Michigan Concealed Pistols License?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.429 No, antique pistols made before 1898 and replicas of antiques that use black powder, matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system do not need to be registered. The pistol is still subject to all concealed pistol licensing laws.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]3. How old do I have to be in order to have a pistol registered in my name in Michigan?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422 & 28.429 Eighteen (18) years of age. However, Federal law prohibits a federally licensed firearms dealer from selling a pistol to anyone under the age of twenty-one (21).[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]4. I lost my Michigan pistol registration (Safety Inspection Certificate). How do I go about getting another one?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.429 You should contact your local law enforcement agency, where you currently reside, and request they re-register your pistol. Confirmation of prior registration can be made by that agency with the Michigan State Police, Firearms Records Unit, in Lansing. Another corresponding License to Purchase must be completed, unless you have a valid Concealed Pistol License.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]5. In Michigan, what is a License to Purchase and is one needed in every case where a pistol is acquired?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422 A License to Purchase is a license required prior to acquisition of a pistol by purchase or gift. The important part of the License to Purchase is the affidavit signed by the purchaser swearing to their own qualifications. A License to Purchase is not needed for anyone with a valid Concealed Pistol License, for firearms dealers purchasing from wholesalers, or for relics, curios, antiques, etc., not made for modern ammunition.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]6. What are the steps necessary to purchase and legally possess a pistol in Michigan without a concealed pistol license?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422 & MCL 28.429 The prospective purchaser must successfully pass (70% or more) a basic pistol safety questionnaire and obtain a License to Purchase, which is valid for 10 days, from the local law enforcement agency. The purchaser must sign a notarized sworn statement that they meet the Michigan qualifications to purchase/obtain a pistol. At the time of the purchase, the purchaser and the seller complete the form. The License to Purchase, along with the pistol, must be returned to the local law enforcement agency within 10 days to obtain a Safety Inspection Certificate (registration).[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]7. I am on leave from military service. Does this exempt me from having to register the pistols I brought with me to Michigan?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422 and MCL 28.429 No, you have 30 days in which to pass the basic pistol safety questionnaire and obtain a License to Purchase after your arrival into the state. You then have ten days in which to present the pistol for a Safety Inspection Certificate (registration).[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]8. My uncle had a .357 magnum revolver registered in his name when he died. My brother has had custody of the gun but now wants to give it to me. What procedure do I follow to gain legal possession of this gun in Michigan, since my uncle obviously cannot sign it over to me?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422 Michigan statutes provide for the personal representative of the estate or next of kin having authority to dispose of the pistol to sign the License to Purchase as the seller.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]9. I am giving my registered pistols to my son who lives in another state. How do I get the Michigan Safety Inspection Certificates out of my name?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]There are no provisions in the statute; however, send a letter to the Michigan State Police, Firearms Records Unit, 7150 Harris Drive, Lansing, Michigan 48913, advising of the transaction. The letter must include a description of the pistols, your son's name and address, and the date of transaction in order for the Firearms Records Unit to update their records. Your son must comply with the weapons laws of his own state. There are federal restrictions regarding transfer of ownership across state lines. [/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]10. I have just moved to Michigan from another state. How much time do I have to register my pistols?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422 & MCL 28.429 Upon establishing legal residency, you should immediately contact your local law enforcement agency, pass the basic safety questionnaire, and complete both a License to Purchase and Safety Inspection Certificate.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]11. Does a person have to be a United States citizen in order to purchase a pistol? Although MCL 28.422 states a person must be a citizen of the United States to purchase a pistol, the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled this as unconstitutional. Per Federal law, you must be a legal resident alien, having resided in this state for 90 days.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]12. I found a pistol in an old house that I was fixing up. Can I get it registered in my name? You should take it to your local police agency and they can check on the history of the pistol. They will, of course, check to make sure it is not stolen, and also for any previous registered owner. If the pistol was not previously registered, it is considered contraband, and cannot be registered to you. If there was a previous registered owner, attempts should be made to contact that person. If contact is made, the pistol will either be turned over to them, or they will sign off as seller on a License to Purchase issued to you. If attempts at making contact are futile, you can get a License to Purchase and the pistol can be released to you.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]13. I inherited a pistol from my uncle. Do I just take it in to my local police agency to get a Safety Inspection Certificate? [/font] [left][font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422 Unless you have a valid Concealed Pistol License issued after July 1, 2001, you must obtain a License to Purchase first. When the owner of a pistol is deceased, the statutes provide that the next of kin or personal representative of the estate has the authority to sign as seller. You would then present the pistol to your local police agency for completion of the Safety Inspection Certificate.[/font] [/left]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Top"][#000000][font "Arial, Helvetica"][size 2]Top of Page[/size][/font] [/#000000][/url]

[center][font "Arial, Helvetica"]
[/url][size 3]Firearms Rights - Persons convicted of crimes or subject to a PPO[/size] [/font][/center] [left][font "Arial, Helvetica"]1. I was arrested for making threats with a gun against my wife. As part of my probation the judge ordered the gun turned over to the state police. Can it be returned to me, and, if so, when can I claim it?[/font] [/left]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.434 and MCL 750.239 The statute requires weapons carried, possessed or used contrary to the Concealed Weapons Act and the Firearms Section of the penal code to be forfeited to the Director of the Department of State Police. Prior to disposition, the forfeited weapons are retained for a reasonable length of time pending any possible appeal or litigation. There are no provisions in the act for any other disposition.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]2. Is it possible to have my felony record from 20 years ago cleared so I can purchase a firearm? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 780.621 Allows a person to apply to have their felony conviction set-aside if it is their only conviction. If/when the set-aside is granted, you would be eligible to purchase or possess a firearm.[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.224f If the felony conviction was "non-specified", you would be eligible to possess a firearm eight years after the date of conviction or confinement and 3 years after release from probation or parole, whichever is the later date, if that date is before July 1, 2001. If the date is after July 1, 2001, only a set-aside, expungement, or pardon would allow you to possess a firearm.[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]If the felony conviction was "specified", you must either have been granted a restoration of your firearms rights by your local county gun board prior to July 1, 2001, or have a set-aside, expungement or pardon. A "specified" felony is one in which 1 or more of following circumstances exist: An element of that felony is the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the person or property of another, or that by its nature, involves a substantial risk that physical force against the person or property of another may be used in the course of committing the offense. An element of that felony is the unlawful manufacture, possession, importation, exportation, distribution, or dispensing of a controlled substance. An element of that felony is the unlawful possession or distribution of a firearm. An element of that felony is the unlawful use of an explosive. The felony is burglary of an occupied dwelling, or breaking and entering an occupied dwelling, or arson.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]3. There has been a personal protection order issued against me. Does that prohibit me from buying any firearm? Does it affect the guns that I already own? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422 prohibits you from obtaining a License to Purchase a pistol if you have received notice of the Order and had an opportunity for a hearing. If the judge included in the order that you are prohibited from owning or possessing firearms, then it would affect the firearms you already own.[/font]

[center][font "Arial, Helvetica"][/url][size 3]Other Weapons (Non-Pistols)[/size] [/font][/center]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]1. In Michigan, can I carry a self-defense spray in my car or on my person for protection?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.224d Yes, but only if it is either:[/font] [ul] [li][font "Arial, Helvetica"]Not more than 35 grams of any combination of orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile and inert ingredients (CS gas); or[/font] [li][font "Arial, Helvetica"]A solution containing not more than 2% oleoresin capsicum (pepper spray) and is used in the protection of your person or property which would justify the use of physical force. It cannot be sold to a minor.[/font] [/li][/ul]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]2. In Michigan, can I carry tear gas or mace ("CN gas") in my car or on my person for protection?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.224d No, under the statute and according to an Attorney General's opinion, a private citizen cannot possess tear gas or mace.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]3. Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.222 Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively. Attorney General's opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess. MCL 750.224d There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector's item not likely to be used as a weapon.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]The possessor must comply with Section 2 (License to Purchase) and Section 9 (Safety Inspection Certificate/registration) of Act 372.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]4. I recently purchased a double-edged survival knife. Does Michigan law allow me to carry this in my vehicle?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.227 No. A dagger, dirk, stiletto, or double-edged non-folding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, cannot be carried concealed on or about a person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in their own home, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]5. Is it illegal to have a knife with a blade over 3 inches in my possession?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]6. I want to purchase as UZI Model B, 9MM semi-automatic carbine with a folding stock. Are these legal in Michigan?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]Under MCL 750.222 and Attorney General's Opinion #6820, the answer is no. The UZI carbine (barrel length 16.1 inches, length with stock contracted 24.4 inches, length with stock extended 31.5 inches) is a short-barreled rifle and their SALE and/or POSSESSION is prohibited according to an Attorney General's opinion.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]7. Is a paint ball pistol required to be registered in Michigan?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]Upon initial review, it has not been found that a paint ball pistol falls under the definition of a dangerous weapon or firearm. Therefore, is not required at this time to be registered.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]8. Is a flare gun used as a signaling device on a watercraft required to be registered in Michigan?
MCL 28.432b No. [/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]9. Do pellet pistols have to be registered? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.421 Although, there is an occasional misconception that pellet pistols only require registration if they are over .177 caliber, that caliber designation only applies to guns made exclusively for propelling BB's. A pellet pistol, does fall under the definition of a firearm, and is subject to all License to Purchase, Safety Inspection Certificate and Concealed Pistol License requirements.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]10. Is there anything that prohibits possession of Ninja-type sticks, brass knuckles or billy clubs? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.224 prohibits the manufacture, sale, offering for sale or possession of a blackjack, billy, metallic knuckles, sand club, sand bag or bludgeon. It does not specifically list Ninja-type sticks. However, they could be considered a dangerous weapon, depending on the use.[/font]

[center][/url][size 3]Non-Michigan Residents[/size]
[/center]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]1. I am an out-of-state resident. Can I legally hunt deer with a pistol in Michigan?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.231a If you have a license to carry a concealed pistol issued by your state of residence, you may qualify to possess a pistol while hunting depending on the license restrictions from your home state and providing you are also in possession of a valid Michigan non-resident hunting license. You must also carry in compliance with all Michigan's firearms laws. For further questions regarding firearms issues as they relate to hunting see [url "http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php."][#000000]DNR's[/#000000][/url] website.[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Top"][#000000]Top of Page[/#000000][/url] [/font]

[center][font "Arial, Helvetica"][/url][size 3]Federal Firearms Laws[/size] [/font][/center]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]1. Who can I contact with questions concerning federal regulations on pistols? Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, Area Supervisor, Compliance, 1155 Brewery Park Boulevard, Suite 300A, Detroit, Michigan 48207-2602. Phone: (313) 259-8050.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]2. I am moving to California. I have a pistol registered in my name in Michigan. Is it legal for me to carry this gun in the car with me to my new location? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]The May 19, 1986, revision of the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968 now allows for transportation of pistols from one state to another providing the pistol is legally possessed in the state of origin, and possession is permitted in the state of destination. It must be transported unloaded and in a locked container inaccessible to the occupants.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]3. My father-in-law, who lives in Georgia, has two firearms which he wants to give me. Can I legally go to Georgia and bring the guns back to Michigan? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]No. The Federal Gun Control Act of 1968 generally prohibits the transportation into or receipt in the state where a person resides of a firearm obtained outside of that state. The transfer of the firearms would be lawful if your father-in-law sends the firearms via common carrier (such as UPS) to a licensed firearms dealer in Michigan. The Michigan firearms dealer can then transfer the firearms to you providing you meet all statutory requirements. If the firearm is a pistol, a License to Purchase or valid Concealed Pistol License is required.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]4. Can I legally possess a fully-automatic firearm in Michigan?
Under the Federal Gun Control Act, individuals may only possess those fully-automatic firearms that were lawfully possessed before May 19, 1986. The Attorney General has concluded that a person who has been authorized to possess a fully automatic firearm by the federal Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives is deemed licensed and may lawfully possess that firearm in Michigan.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]5. Is it okay if I have a pistol with a 15 round clip? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]Yes, as federal law 18USC Sec 922 effective September 30, 1994 which prohibited an individual from having a firearm with a clip holding over 10 rounds, was repealed effective September 1, 2004.
[/font]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Top"][#000000]Top of Page[/#000000][/url]

[center][font "Arial, Helvetica"][/url][size 3]Federal Firearms Dealer Questions[/size] [/font][/center]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]1. Are gun dealers in Michigan licensed; and if so, who licenses them?
Yes, by the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. Michigan has no law specifically to license dealers; however, dealers must obtain a Michigan Sales Tax License and comply with Michigan License to Purchase, trigger lock, and pistol sales record requirements.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]2. I am a firearms dealer in Michigan. Is it necessary for me to forward a report to the State Police for each pistol I purchase or take in on trade? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422 Yes. A Dealer's License to Purchase must be obtained from your local law enforcement agency for these transactions. The State Police copy should be returned to the issued agency along with their copy. The only time a License to Purchase is not required to be transacted for pistols is when purchasing from a wholesaler.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]3. In Michigan, can I, as a licensed Federal Firearms Dealer, legally transport pistols which I acquire through purchase or trade without a Michigan Concealed Pistols License based on possession of the federal license? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.432a Only to and from the place of purchase to place of business. The pistol may be transported unloaded in a wrapper or container in the trunk of the vehicle. The pistol may be transported unloaded in a wrapper or container in the passenger compartment of a vehicle which does not have a trunk if it is not readily accessible to the occupants.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]Per U.S. Gun Control Act, Part 178 of Title 27, bear in mind the federal license confers no right or privilege to conduct business contrary to state law or other law. The holder of a federal license is not by reason of such a license, immune from punishment in violation of the provisions of any state law or other law.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]4. I have a Class III Federal License to sell certain types of fully-automatic pistols and machine guns. Can I legally sell these firearms in Michigan?
Under the National Firearms Act, only those firearms which have been previously registered in the National Firearms Register and Transfer Record maintained by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives may be lawfully transferred to a person who is qualified to receive such firearms.
[/font]

[center][font "Arial, Helvetica"][/url][size 3]Miscellaneous[/size] [/font][/center]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]1. My pistol, along with the Michigan registration (Safety Inspection Certificate) was stolen and I need to provide my insurance company and the police agency with the description of my gun, what should I do?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]You can request the information through the Firearms Record Unit, Michigan State Police, 7150 Harris Drive, Lansing, MI 48913.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]2. What are the requirements or criteria that cause weapons to be forfeited to the State of Michigan?[/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL28.434 and MCL 750.239 Any pistol, weapon or device possessed, carried or used contrary to the Penal Code requires forfeiture to the Director of the Department of State Police. This includes shotguns, rifles, knives, clubs, or any article used as a weapon.[/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica"]3. Is it okay if I loan my pistol to a friend? [/font]
[font "Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.432 An individual can carry, possess, use or transport a pistol belonging to another individual, if the pistol is properly licensed and inspected under the Act, and the individual carrying, possessing, using or transporting the pistol has obtained a license to carry a pistol concealed permit from Michigan[/font] [/black][/font]

[signature]