Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell 5/2-5/6
As in the Forest Gump movie, Lake Powell is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get! Arrived on Wednesday with 80 degree calm conditions. Camped in Knowles canyon (great beach way at the end if anyone is headed there soon!). Fished the mouth of the canyon the first day and caught a dozen smaller (2 or 3 lb) stripers in about an hour or so.
We got up the next morning to welcome 40 MPH winds, so we just threw a line out in front of the campsite. We caught bluegill, bullhead, catfish, striper, smallmouth and ...... a brown trout (yes, picture attached as proof). We really honestly could not keep lines in the water - it was that fast and the stripers were getting in the 24 to 26 inch range.
Friday morning was nice, slight breeze, maybe 50 degrees. We cruised a couple of nearby canyons looking for some walleyes but [Sad] no luck. Once again caught plenty of stripers and few other aforementioned species. Got back to camp and caught more - my girlfriend and I actually achieved a first - we got tired of catching fish after fish - no, really! Then we had a houseboat and its accompanying "flotilla" of power boats pull in and pitch camp between our site and the one about 200 yards away. We got to enjoy generators, music, stories about their women, etc for the rest of the evening until a t-storm practically blew the beach away - must have been 50+ mph gusts. we decided that after going through 5 lbs of anchovies, 5 dozen red sided shiners, 4 dozen crawlers, (and most of the beer and other refreshments) that we would pull out in the morning.
Despite driving through a pretty fair amount of snow near Salina, the whole trip went real well and we are already thinking about next Spring for a repeat - only next time the walleyes better beware!
The pics are large as I feel they look better than when reduced to inline size - hope they are not a problem!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Great report, good pictures.[/size][/black]
[size 3]Glad you had a productive trip.[/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]The Utah DWR has planted millions of trout in Lake Powell over the years, and although they have made great prey for the other fish in there, I think that that's the first trout I have ever known to have been caught.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Hey thanks for the pictures that place looks awsome. I have lived in UT all my life and have never seen Powell.
[signature]
Great report, I really need to get down there and try that.

AFDan52
[signature]

[signature]
sk8: Nice pics and thanks for the report.

After hearing the forecast we canceled last weekend in exchange for this one. Headed to Wahweap on Thursday. Any advice for stripers? Did you troll at all or mostly fish the anchovies? I'm curious whether the fish are still shallow or starting to drop deeper.

Hey when you gonna hit Starvation again? Seems that you did pretty good there last year about now.
[signature]
The fish were mostly caught within 5 feet of the surface - they showed up on the finder at about 10 feet - they were hanging over areas with 40-70 feet of water. When trolling, we put anchovies on a crawler harness (first hook through the eyes, second one near the tail - this caught those short strikers) behind a 3/8 oz slip sinker rig. Sounds weird, but it worked. We caught just a couple on shad raps.
Starvation is in my sights for early June! Can't wait for some more fresh walleye - Utah lake has not been too good to me - well, kitties are tasty too though. Maybe I'll see ya up there.
[signature]
Thanks. Sounds like they're pretty shallow still. Ouch, that striper thumb is already starting to hurt!!! See you on the water.
[signature]