Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor mans Down Rigger
You know, on a smaller sized boat, there isn't much room for additional equipment, especially cluttering up the side rails with bulky down riggers. But, when you've got to get your lines down deep, what do you do? There is an easy solution to this problem that I came accross a few years ago. It's called the "poor mans downrigger." LOL, check it out:

[Image: 478650518.jpg]

It's a self sestaining planer kit. Sure you could just rig a planer on your rod, but if you're using a planer any larger than a #1, you're going to have to spool a large reel up with some seriously heavy line to use it. Anyone that has used planers before knows how hard they pull on the rod. Heavy planers usually require the use of heavy duty, high test equipment. But, with this kit, you can still use your standard stand up equipment with the advantage of a larger planer.

This kit actually attaches to the rear cleat of the boat with a large nylon rope. Using a double snap, you attach one end to the rope, thread a rubber band over your tag end and attach the rubber band to the other side of the double snap. It's pretty slick and it works very well. I don't use mine exactly the way the directions say, as I reset mine each time it is tripped, as I set my lines up traditionally, just attached with the rubber band.

I know my last trip out I wish I had my kits with me, but I was only set up with pre-rigged 25lb class stand up rods with #1 planers. I had bigger planers, but no rods that would hold up to the stress. Had I brought my planer kits with me, I would have been able to get my drone's down deep enough to maybe hook a few kings. I know I don't have enough room for downriggers and this is my only option versus rigging the planer on a heavy rod and reel; which I don't like to do. I prefer a lighter outfit for many reasons and this set up allows me to do just that. The kit costs around 30 bucks, complete with planer and rubber bands. So next time you think you can't get rigged to target those speedy sub-level fish, think again. 30 bucks might be all it takes to put you on the spot. [cool]
[signature]
i like that.where do you get the kits?
[signature]
You know, I bought mine from the BX on Anderson AFB. But, I know for a fact that Boaters World and Bass Pro both carry them. They are cheap to buy and really do work. [cool]
[signature]
thanks,now i have to order some
[signature]
we troll with those a lot in saltwater , they can handle higher speeds unlike dipsey divers which we use for trolling for salmon on the great lakes with dodgers and flys.

we call "the poor mans downrigger" drone planners here though, and we usually fish them inline for species like wahoo, grouper, kingfish, dolphin fish, and most any other type of species will hit them , we ahve even caught a sailfish with one!

below is a great article on using them for wahoo fishing which you can use the tactics for other types of fishing as well

[url "http://www.floridasportfishing.com/magazine/spring-2003/new-improved-wind-on-planer-rig.html"]http://www.floridasportfishing.com/magazine/spring-2003/new-improved-wind-on-planer-rig.html[/url]

let me know if you have any questions
tight lines!!!
[signature]