Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any one want to tackle this project?
I was trolling around from lake to lake and came across this boat.

I was wondering what every one here would think about the value of this boat and trailer in its present condition.

please look at this photo and give your thoughts.

there is a 1967 merc 50 horse short shaft engine that comes with it, but I am not interested in the engine. so give comments with out the motor...

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24866;]
[signature]
I forgot to mention the boat is a 16 foot starcraft
[signature]
it doesn't look bad from the pic.the trailer look good,except for the homemade fenders.the boat looks good from one side.the price isnt bad.do you know the year of the boat?
[signature]
It looks like an old early 70's model boat. Consider this..............What do you intend on doing with the boat? I know for me, I wouldn't even consider purchasing it. I really put a beating on my boats, and I need something that I know beyond a shadow of a dought will hold up. Alot of those old boats have alot of wood on them. They are heavy and bulky. I'd say if you don't intend on venturing far from the hill, you're good to go. But if you plan on making a day of it, you'd better bring along a cell phone and a VHF radio so if you sink'er, you can get help pretty quick. [Wink] You wouldn't last long in those cold waters you fish Dave. But, for 600 bucks, it might be worth it. Hard to tell the condition from a mug shot.
[signature]
no, I dont know the year, didnt think to look for the inspection plate.

yes this was a loaded question. I am going to add a few more photos in a few minutes.

but also I was giving serious thought to taking on the project. and kind of still am....
[signature]
I think the 16 foot has to have a radio and also has to be registered.

yes there is some wood to it, but the hull is aluminum. that is why I was concidering it. its the light weight of the boat that caught my intrest to begin with...

attached in the following photos will show every thing that was wood, and from what I can tell it is most of it was quarter inch presure treated lumber.
[signature]
Aluminum? I'd say go for it then. [cool]
[signature]
did you look at the rest of the pictures?[crazy]
[signature]
did you poke around the floor?the pics look scary,
[signature]
what floor?

any thing that was wood is rotted through...

its a 100% redo for the inside of the boat...

the only thing there is the aluminum and trailer... and a motor I dont want any thing to do with even if it dose run...
[signature]
I have enough trouble keeping my own junk clean without paying to clean up someone else's.. Smile
[signature]
aint that "the gods truth"...[angelic]
[signature]
If worse came to worse, you could probably offer 100 bucks and have yourself a nice towable planter box.[cool]
[signature]
Seems like a good part time job if you want it.[crazy] I would offer half that and if nothing else you'll get that for scrap. Looking at alot of work and money Dave T.
[signature]
1- time and energy
2- patience and resourses
3- ... a bottle of Crown Royal and some ice cubes
4- ... make it two bottles of Crown and a bag of ice

naw seriously Dave .. If you decide on trying to tackle it.. start from scratch EVERYWHERE.. take it down to bare bones then fill it up with water while on the trailer (block the frame up so the weight is off the axles) to test for leaks.. then pull the plug and go from there.

Its only worth it if you're going to use it .. and in order to use it you'll be investing a good amount of time into it. Just do it right from the start and don't skimp or over look anything.

It has the potential to be a sturdy fishing rig! The hull design is good - you just need to add some elbow grease and some ching.
[signature]
One other thing Dave... take the motor too... shops are always looking for those older type Mercs 50hp = 500 series if I remember correctly.

You can use the motor to barter with the marine shops for other parts and crap . [Wink]
[signature]
one other - other thing ...

The transom wood will need to be replaced - I'm nearly 100% sure of it!

not just the obvious exterior piece .. the interior structural piece that stiffens it up .. the wood runs from under the trim cap (sandwiched between the interior and exterior aluminum panel) down to the rivet line that runs beneath that exposed motor mount board..
[signature]
that is what I was thinkin at first.

I dont think I could ever recapture the expences it would encure. it would have to be a labor of love.

I imagin it would take a hell of a rain storm under the right gutter to fill that sucker...

and the fill sure would make a good stress test for the seams. there would be my biggest concern
[signature]
Well, I only payed $900 (canadian) for my 14' Starcraft aluminum boat and its in great shape.... Sure, it doesn't have a steering wheel and controls, and only got bench seating...but that has no steering wheel and controls (well, attached ones, anyhow) and it has no seating....
[signature]
well, some one thought the boat was worth it, cause it was gone with in a week of the time I posted this. They may have bought it for the motor. I am sure the motor is worth it. but I had no intrest in that part of the deal.

I have a 14 foot starcraft also with no seating, I spent about 300 restoring it this spring. new seats boards, I am flat out amazed how much one board cost for the seats. 100 american each for a 12 foot 1x12 oak plank.

any ways, I used cedar 20 american each for 8 foot planks and then I re-enforced it with 1x1x1/8 x 8 foot aluminum angle stock at 20 each, I had to buy 6, that is two for each seat.

if your interested I can give you the link to the post that has a full account of the restoration of my boat and another one.

I used the aluminum angle because the design of the original seat allowed sheet metal to put stress on the board wich split it. the new angle suport works great, not only are the seats more stable the boat hull it self seems to be even more solid.
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6588/cat/574"][Image: DSCN0328.JPG][/url][/center] [center] [/center] [left]I was out yesterday looking for a heater for a hunting shack and walked past the boat section and saw a 12 foot starcraft listed for 2 grand. and only has two seats. 4 grand with the 4 horse motor.[/left] [left] [/left] [left]so I think you got a good deal. I am good with the 14 foot starcraft I got.[/left]
[signature]