Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kingfish in the Fog
[font "Times New Roman"]Fast and furious was the only way to describe todays kingfish charter with Don Wilkins, and Jeff and Mike Barlow. We headed out of the Port on a 135degree heading, taking a direct line to South Pelican flats and Hi Bar, 2 well known reefs SE of Port Canaveral. Inshore water temps were on the decline once again, reading 64f just a few miles out of the port. Recent temperatures were holding around 71f, making this years Cobia run, for the most part a big success. I landed my share of the Brown Beauties the last 2 weeks, and now many were wondering, would we see one more run beachside to cap this years spring migration. [/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Once I noticed the temperature gauge reading 64 degrees, I felt that finding Cobia today near the beach might be on hold, so we proceeded offshore to catch Kingfish. Not only was the water temp down, but it also carried a large fog bank with it. About 3 miles out it was pea soup, and the air was quite cool to boot. Having radar onboard was a nice comfort, making avoiding the channel markers and other boats easy. During the 24 mile journey, I wondered how long the fog would last? Well, approximately 2 miles from our target area we broke out of the fog and met a welcomed rush of warmer air. The water temperature now was 73f and rising rapidly. [/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Arriving at waypoint for the reef, I rigged up a Ribbon fish and but it on the down-rigger and ran it down to 50ft. Just as I turned to grab the next rod and rig it up with a Sardine, pop goes the release clip on the down-rigger and Fish- On. It was this way for the next 4 fish, I mean that I didn’t get a second bait in the water before we had another hit. The current was moving pretty good, and we now had drifted 3-4 tenths of a mile while fighting the last fish. This allowed the bite to slow just long enough to get that 2nd bait in the water. I moved the boat back to the first location where we had our first strike, and now a fish hooks up on the long line, a dead sardine with a red and black Cape Lookout bait duster. After landing 4 fish and releasing 2 more, its almost time to start back. I said lets get one more and then we will go. I motored back to our favorite spot and within a ½ a minute, the down-rigger goes off again. This fish turned out to be the biggest of the day, about 25 lbs.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]So it now time to go. I get the boat ready to run and away we go, back into the fog for about 20 miles. We were pretty wet from the moisture in the air, water running down your face for no reason. We broke out of the fog about 3.5miles from the port, sunshine once again. Water clarity was not great, but it did manage to warm up near shore to 69f.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Coming in before the Sunday crowd returned to port was a welcome sight. The boat ramp was vacant and I loaded the boat up in seconds flat, well, it took just a couple of minutes instead of the 45-60 minutes it usually takes late in the afternoon.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Now, Off to the cleaning tables. C- Ya, Capt Bob [/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][Image: Don,Jeff_and_Mike.JPG][/font]
[signature]