Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grass Carp!!
Ok Ive been hunting some monster Grass carp for a few weeks now. I found a good lake. My first two trips to this lake I saw a large number of carp..but they were never really in feeding mode. They were just chillin in a few spots doing nothing. Well my third trip out....I finally see them feeding on something on the surface...They were gulping every few minutes....Felt like i was on Lake hebgon in MT. I threw all sorts of tiny dandruff flies and some emerger patterns. But no luck at all. I could not see what they were gulping. Any ideas on Fly patterns or what they may have been eating naturally??
[signature]
"GRASS CARP"...is really a misnomer,,,should be WHITE AMUR,,,but in any event, these little dudes are vegetarians...used by departments of wild life to control vegetation,,,so you might just want to try some good old alfalfa, or regular grass around a hook, and you can bait the area with Range Cubes,,,,,,
I've also taken Amur on kernal Corn....what would suit you well would be to make a fly out of some artificial plastic corn...give it a shot
[signature]
[unsure] Yea, they control the grass ok!!!!!!! Our wildlife and fisheries people put 12,000 "Sterile" carp in Caney Lake, Which is a trokphy lake, and they ate just about all the vegetation. The wlf finally had people come in and catch them to get them under control. The lake is finally getting back to its former glory.
[signature]
I saw this on my lake too, there was a masive stone fly or may fly hatch.

empty fly hulls covered the entire lake and the carp were all feeding on top the water and wanted nothing else. I threw every thing in my box that I use for carp and they would touch nothing.

I was kind of wishing I had brought my fly rod with a stone fly larve pattern.

that was a week ago, today they may be feeding on something else...
[signature]