Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post spawn Walleye tactics...
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1] [/size][/black][/font][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][/size][/black][/font][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]I thought I'd start a thread for us to share some of our favorite tactics and presentations.

Personally, when the Walleyes have finished out their spawn I generally like to go shallow with finesse rigs on certain rivers, flowages and lakes. They all have their 'spots' where fish will hold to recover from the event.

My favorite place is dead falls on steep drops from shoreline. Second would be the first weedline both inside and outside of protected bays and points near deep water. Presentations are slow, methodical and above all QUIET!.. This isn't for the angler who needs to be moving all the time making noise in the boat.. you really need patience and a calm demeanor. What I generally use in staind waters (most of my fishing is in staind water)is 1/16oz. jigs tipped with leeches or crawlers. I'll go up to a 1/4oz jig if current is heavier, but lighter is better. My preferance of jig has a light aberdeen style wire hook. The reason is when you get snagged up on the wood (and you'll get snagged!) the wire is generally supple enough to either flex or bend out of the snag.

Again, here is where finesse comes into play.. you don't want to be ripping branches out because you'll spook the fish. You midas well pull up anchor and head to another spot if you do that. I also prefer lighter line -or- a mono/flourocarbon leader on Power-Pro or Fireline in 4-6lb test. The light line offers you lower breaking stength so you can recover faster and retie to get back to fishing if you can't coax the jig off the wood without a stuggle. Again, this struggle will normally mess up the spot.

What you're doing here is basicaly offering an easy meal to tired fish so S-L-O-W and quiet are key. I'll normally slip into a spot using a paddle or an oar.. I won't even drop the bow mount. Then as soon as I'm positioned correctly (boat parallel with shorline or weedline) I carefully slide one anchor at a time into the water.. again, quietly slide them in.

After I'm positioned the fun starts. Hook a leech or crawler and using a gentle cast hit up shollow (nearly on shore) and drag or lightly hop) your jig down the drop-off around the downfall tree pausing as much as a few minutes between movements. What you're looking for is slight line twitches either tightening or slack, little 'bumps' of the rod tip or slight preasure when you begin your slow 'hop' or drag. Once you experience one of these things.. drop your rod tip to give some slack then reel up and use a sweeping hookset. None of that Bill Dance, Mike Iaconelli 'rip-their-lips-off' stuff. Just a nice quick sweeping hookset.

One other tid bit - I really like light/m-light action rods for this. They add to the slow presentaion and movement and add fun to fighting a football sized Walleye.

Oh, I'll touch on the weedlines in a later post. [Wink]

What are your favorite post spawn tactic's and presentations?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I think I might buy in to that, I fished 10 hours yesterday, the carp were hitting on top of the water and the dogfish were crewsing the edge of the shelf.

I did not get a single hit from an eye yesterday.. nor did I see one.

we had a stone fly or may fly hatch yesterday morning and the carp were feeding on the fly hulls across the enitre lake... they just may have been spooked down deap....
[signature]
Yea, its productive at times around here, Dave.. like any other time of the year the fish are where they're at and can pattern/hold to certain areas. It took me a while to learn but my learning curve might've been slower than most folks. I have a tendancy to be a little stubborn at times when learning new ways to yank 'em in.

Big hatches can be tough to fish for me - real tough! What do you usually go to when you get one in your area, Dave?

Heres a few I snuck out from the downfalls this past weekend. Orange jig and jumbo leech.

[Image: 5xgolc4.jpg]

[url "http://i5.tinypic.com/5xgolc4.jpg"][/url]
[signature]
Post spawn Walleye tactics... [#bf0060]cont'd[/#bf0060]:

The weedlines as I mentioned in my first post are another great spot to target. Usually I'll apporach them in the same manor as I do the shoreline downfalls (Quietly). I'll position the boat either way though depending on how I want to present my baits. Sometimes pulling up perpendicular to the weedline and working the edge on my retrieve or setting up parallel off of the weedline to cast into/at specific pockets and points. They both have their advantages at times depending on the attitude of the fish. Here as I stated before the presentation is slow and methodical. Dragging or slowly hopping your jig in small incraments with longer pauses allowing your leech or crawler to work its magic. While on weedlines i'll toss out a light Lindy rig with a smaller #6 or #8 octopus hook and slip floating is a great second/third rod rig with the same #6 or #8 octopus hook.

side note: I like using snell knots and quality octopus hooks because the presentation seems more consistant, compact and clean than say a straight aberdeen style hook with a Trilene type knot.
[signature]
I got some disterbing walleye news today from the tv.

it would seem that walleye are infested with tape worm on the east coast of michigan and ohio. Are you seeing or hearing any ting of that nature on the west coast of lake michigan?

cant argue with your side note [Wink] good advice.....
[signature]
Wow DTC - I've yet to hear much of anything on that matter...

I'll make a call and find out though. Last fall the Eye's I pulled from the Sturgeon Bay area were nice and healthy.
[signature]
well ya know in order to get a tape worm you have to swallow one.. and you know how them tape worms are, "segmented" the reproduce by division much like an ameba.

which has made me wonder, if they reproduce by division, dose that mean the vary first ameba is still alive?
[signature]