Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Wasp larve. Anybody ever make a fly like that?
I've had this question for a long time. Somebody knocked a big Wasp nest down into the creek, and I wondered if the fish tore into it and ate whatever was inside.

So two days ago I was moving some stuff in my Barn and a Red Wasp stung me.
"OK for you Bubba, you and your whole Family is going bye bye"

Afterward I took his little cocoons apart to see what a Red Wasp looked like when he was still cooking.

Its a little white/yellow Grub worm.
Thick at the head and pointed at the tail. Taperd quickly after about half its length.
It's about 3/16" in Diameter up at the head end, but the head is smaller than the body.
The Body is about 7/16" to 1/2" long. The Body is pretty light colored down at the tapered tail, and darker white, almost yellow up nearer the head.
He has a small flat brown head. Its round and flat like a Flapjack.
Sort of a reddish brown.

So...by that descripton, do any of you ever tie or use anything like that?

Sorry for the lack of photo's. That's beyond my expertise.

An aside on this Stinging story:
While I was working down in the Barn, a Snake crawled right up on my bench, across all my parts and tools, and on down the planks.
He went right across a Red Wasp's nest. Those Wasps didn't seem to be upset by it.
They didnt even fly up and hover in a threatening manner like they do when I show up.
That Snake had a 'Neighborhood pass' I guess.
[signature]
I would give anything to see a picture of the wasp. With the colors and dimmentions you gave it would have made a great fly swap[cool]

"THE RED WASP LARVA SWAP!" Hmmmmmmm
[signature]
Hmmm, a close up of a Red Wasp?[unsure]

That's gonna rank right up there with closup photography of a pair of mating Grizzleys at the moment of Coitus!
That kind of stuff is reserved for the National Geographic guys.

However, for Fly Goddess, I'll go down to the Barn with my Digital camera, and give it a try.
Once I get some photos of the Wasp's and the Larve I'll see if I can post them.(stealing some really Angry insects Babies?)[mad]

Me not being a tyer, it dont look like too much of an effort.
But I'd really like to give em' a try on the Crappie n' other panfish around here.
I should be back this afternoon.....but if you never hear from me again, you'll know right where to look.
[signature]
FG,

Doesnt thud's description sound a lot like the grubs you sent me.. out of that soft foam material.. brown head.. off white to egg shell body.. ??

MacFly
[signature]
Here are a couple of pics of different types of Red Wasps.

[center][Image: img349.jpg][/center]
[center]here are some larvae
[/center]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][Image: WaspPaperNestGrubs01.jpg][/font]
Another type of Red Wasp
[Image: wasppaper.jpg]
[signature]
YOUR RIGHT MacFly....Hey, Thud, pm me your address and I will send you a couple of "OOEY GOOEY's" They are a pearl grub that change colors, lets see if they work!
[signature]
Hey FG, Can you do any of the Wax Worm flies???[cool]
[signature]
That is kinda what the ooey gooey is:

[Image: ooeygooey.jpg]
[signature]
Ooey gooeys...now why the he.. cant I remember that name.. lol.. but from the pic tn2 showed of the nest above.. they should be real close...

MacFly
[signature]
Those are cool. Can you make some that look like these???

[url "javascript:parent.parent.close()"][Image: WWC_full.jpg][/url]
[signature]
Im tempted to run to my truck to check my fly box... but I think the ooey gooeys that FG makes are about the size you want here (judging from the dime ref in the picture).. only thing that varies a bit is the coloring.. so will let FG have the floor on that one..

MacFly
[signature]
I am thinking Shammy or Tan Stretch floss over Tan thread to give that translucent look or like a skin.
[signature]
[shocked]Here's my chincy photo of the Larve. You guys are way ahead of me though.
I had to hunt for an hour to find a nest I could raid for my photos.
I guess I'll have to break down and get a newer camera.

Thanks Fly Goddess, I'll pm this evening.

These things sure look like something a fish would eat. I cant wait to try them out on the Crappie in Smith lake.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Thudpucker - did you by chance chum any of those grubs?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
That sounds pretty close. Do you have any latex material??? That would probably go good on top and then tied down with the tan thread.[cool]
[signature]
[pirate]Jeez, seeing something like that, after a bad sick stomach....?
A guy'd might as well skip the trip to the Doctor and go right on to the Morgue![unsure]

Oh oh, you meant chumming as in fish bait. Sorry.
The next time I get to go fishing, I'll take a Wasp nest along.(if we ever get these grandkids settled into summer)

I would think a Gold Egg hook, as in the hook you'd use when fishing for Trout with Salmon eggs, with the point of the hook just barely peeking out the Stinger end of the Larve.
What do you think?
[signature]
[reply]
I am thinking Shammy or Tan Stretch floss over Tan thread to give that translucent look or like a skin. [/reply]

Think rubber band.

The material rots after a while but the price of the material is right.

When it does rot it means yah have not been fishing it enough. cause otherwise you will have lost them already.
[signature]
I was thinking more of a latex wrap around some batting material and wrapped with some light brown thread.[cool]
[signature]
when we get together to fish at Elsinore in the future I will have to show you one of FG's ooey gooeys (laugh every time I type that name)... it is one I think would work very well in this situation..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Sounds good. I hope that day will be soon.[cool]
[signature]