Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Fishing Report- 5/12
We got out for a few hours on Saturday morning fishing near Jarvies Canyon. We trolled #1 and #2 Needlefish in "pearl bikini" with 3oz. snapweights and planer boards. Targets were suspended from 20-30 feet, although we did see some deeper fish from 50-60ft. We caught 4 kokes, 1 laker, and 1 rainbow, and lost 3 kokes at the boat between 8:30 and 10:00am. Boat speed was 2-2.2mph and water temp was 58 F. Hope it helps.
[signature]
Thanks man, that is the type of report I like, all the info is pertinent and precise.

late
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report. Do you think the catching is better when you use side planners with snap weights or lead core line straight behind the boat?
[signature]
I can't make a comparison, being I've only run lead core a few times. I'm pretty fond of planers, particularly for shallow fish. I just started using snap weights this year, after reading about them in "Precision Trolling". The 50/50 method works well for those shallower (10-30ft) fish, and its really easy. I like easy, especially if I'm trolling by myself or with my son.

Using a 3oz. snap weight, and trolling at about 2.0mph, we were getting the lines behind the boat down about 25ft. We caught most of the fish on these lines, so I assume they weren't boat shy. Hope it helps.
[signature]
So your saying that trolling with snap weights directly behind the boat is as productive as when you use they with the side planners?
[signature]
Yes, but it wasn't a fair test. I had one of the planer rods rigged with a Shad Rap, hoping to entice a shallow laker. I didn't even get a hit on that rod.
[signature]
I have never tried it, but now I'm wondering if my side planners will handle the weight of lead core line. I'm going to have to give this a try.
[signature]
Not one for trolling, I'm unfamiliar with the 50/50 method, what is it?
[signature]
It's a trolling technique developed by Offhore, the company that makes in-line planer boards. It's also described in detail in the trolling manual, "Precision Trolling".

Basically when trolling a shallow running lure or spoon, you let out 50ft of line, add a snap weight(varying weights), let out another 50ft of line, and depending on boat speed and how much weight was added, the dive curve predicts the depth you lure will travel. It's pretty easy and works well for fish no deeper than 40ft.
[signature]
Great report Ryno. That's the kind of report that is so helpful and highly appreciated by an angler. D[/reply]
[signature]