Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decisions decisions.....
Well , i finally have all my computer / cable problems worked out so youll be seeing fishing reports up soon as well as regular posts from me hopefully.......just a side update, now onto the business at hand.

I recently started getting some income in and can finaly splurge on the things ive wanted for quite some time. And right now at the top of the list is fishing gear !!!!.

As of right now im useing a alright diawa and a plasstic box to keep my splitshot,extra hooks, swivels and a jar of powerbait....and that about sums up all the fishing equipment i own.

With that said its time to invest in some nice stuff....

Im not one to buy the bare essentials, when i spend my money i dont mind paying for something quality, along with the bells and whistles that make life easier Smile. And why not if you have the money ? Some may disagree and say save your money buy this or that, and thats fine too, i never said it had to be expensive or shiny ....just quality.... something i can be proud of and keep around for a good long while. Something that gets the ooohhhh and ahhhh`s , i will admit....i am one to pay abit more for the smoothest nicest reel even if the midrange is just as good just abit less do-dads and whatnot, but once again...its what i enjoy Smile.

And now that you have a general idea of what im looking for quality wise i guess the money issue comes along right? Well......as i said money isint realy an issue but i dont see myself spending 300$ on a rod either......maybe abit less.....welll definatley abit less haha, im not talking high high dollar pro gear... i guess you could say im looking for the bmw of gear .....high quality nice stuff....but not quite a ferrari or porsch.

ANd it dosent have to be all at once either.....and mostly likely wont be, i think its worth the time to research and really think about what i want and carefully build my collection.

Right now id would really like a nice tackle box, maybe a few lures , and the usual make your friends jealous and life easier gizmos, boy do i like my gizmos :p.

Along with a nice fish / situation specific pole to start with, and a nice reel of course. And well yeah i dont know all to much about gear so maybe you guys could throw some things out there?

Hmmm....heres a good way to put it.

If you had say 400-500$ to buy a few really nice things for yourself, quality, top shelf stuff. It must be fishing gear of course. Hopefully ill get a few ideas on what to be looking for, what i want and so on.

Thanks for any and all help in advance....i really do appreciate it.
[signature]
Hi Mannix - are you looking for a good set-up of spinning gear or baitcasting? -AND- what kind of fishing do you do?
[signature]
I just got a shimano curado on a quantum tour editiom rod and a diawa caprice spinning reel on a shimano carbomax rod. That would eat up a good $400 right there, but I wouldnt recremend the curado just yet. The diawa caprice is a very smooth spinning reel at a fair price and both those rods listed are excellent. But if you want to try your hand at baitcasters and feel like splurging theres not much better than the curado......Now the nice thing about the caprice is has a metal shell instead of a graphite one which most spinning reels in the price range have. It does only have 3 ball bearings and one roller bearing, but it feels like 6. Just a thought to look into.
[signature]
Honestly I think you should get a good $50 spinning rod and a reel about $70, just do alot of research on each real. I really like diawa and quantum but alot of people swear by shimano. Then put the rest of the money in tackle, a nice fabric tackle box with a strap, and lures of all kinds and shapes. You can never have enough lures! Get several spinnerbaits, a few buzzbaits, inline spinners, bait hooks, offset shank worm hooks "4/0 5/0 for bass" and bags and bags of soft plastics. I could go on and on about lures, but the more you have, the more your going to try and use and in the end youll be a better well rounded fisherman. Then once you master the spinning reel "skip casting under docks, fliping into holes" you could always try out the baitcaster. And like I said I think the curado is the best one on the market right now. Are if you want to jump right into a baitcaster go for it. It will frustrate the heck out of you intill you get in tuned in but their great! Youll get more tips and just do some researching on your own and youll get some nice setups.
[signature]
with my experience (only 3-4 years) i'm still happy with my $50 rapala spinning reel and $30 spinning rod. the fish dont seem to care that my gear is low quality. [cool]
[signature]
LOL. I'll have to agree with Straight6 on this one. I've been fishing since a wee little tot, over 20 years counting those days when I couldn't tie and bait my own hook yet...and I still go a little cheap on the rod and reel. I make up for it by spending a little more on line, and a wider variety of lures, and new addition to this season, a fly rod and a handful of flies. Fish don't care how much the stuff connected to the bait costs [Tongue]
[signature]
If you are looking for spinning gear then I recently purchases a St. Croix Triumph rod for $60 along with a Shimano Symetre reel for $80 and I absolutely love them both. I was going to purchase the St. Croix Premier which runs $100 but the only differences between the two werent worth the additional $40 to me. I first purchase the Quantum Kinetic for $90 but didn't like it and took it back for the Shimano.
As for the tackle box I fish mainly from a tube so I prefer the small plastic boxes and just cary several of them in the pockets with all the gear I need.
[signature]
It looks like you've got some good suggestions there mannix, but I thought i'd add a few more................

I would say you should get mid-priced rod and reel combo's for this reason: Instead of buying one expensive rod, you can buy three medium priced quality outfits for light, medium, and heavy fishing. For instance...............You can buy a baitcasting rod and reel for bass for right around 100 bucks. Then you can buy an ultra light for panfish for around 30 bucks, and finally you can purchase a heavier outfit for say, catfish for around 100 bucks. So, for about 250 bucks, you've got all the levels of fishing covered.

Now that you've got the rod and reels covered, you need equipment. You can take your pick with bass lures, there are too many to even recommend.

But, terminal tackle is a must for many species of fish. I use nothing but Gamakatsu and owner hooks, except for my small bream hooks. For those, I use Eagle Claw Lazer sharp, mostly in the chartrues color. I prefer spro swivels as they are about the best on the market. If you're catfishing, you'll be using swivels. If i'm going to use mono fishing line, I like Ande or Cajun Red. The ONLY reason I like the Cajun line is because it's a decent line at a good price. So don't be fooled into thinking is dissapears in the water, it's a bunch of BS. [Wink] For braid, I like Stren Super Braid or Power Pro. Also, spend a few extra bucks and get a few of the X Tools. They float, they are rust resistant, and are very bright and hard to loose. They make Fillet Knives, pliers, gaffs, and a bunch of other handy tools. [cool]
[signature]
[size 1]Right now id would really like a nice tackle box, maybe a few lures , and the usual make your friends jealous and life easier gizmos, boy do i like my gizmos :p. [/size]

Hey , HERE'S SOMETHING TO CONCIDER [cool] .
How about a custom rod , complete with your name on it ?
Check out the B.F.T. STORE , you can get matching gear and clothing to go along with your rod .

There is nothing that makes you stand out more as an above average fisherman than having that pro look and feel you get from authentic B.F.T. gear .
[signature]
Mannix is probably on the pro circuit by now, he hasn't checked into this site in almost three weeks. And he didn't even tell us what kinds of fish he was going after!
[signature]
hmmmm thought i was loged in.........Either way the last post above this one was mine, not "guest" heh.

All the best
Mannix
[signature]
Quote:Mannix is probably on the pro circuit by now, he hasn't checked into this site in almost three weeks. And he didn't even tell us what kinds of fish he was going after!
I don't know what's going on here, but I did not make the quoted post. How could a post be attributed to me that I did not make?
[signature]
little green men, maybe? [Tongue]
[signature]
Don't tell me they are on this board too![shocked] Get out the Citronella candles. They don't like the smell.[cool]
[signature]
Well guys im glad to report im still alive after the trip. Smile

We headed out about 4:30 and wsent quite sure where we were gonna fish yet so we just headed up past the lake, kernville and johnsonville.

When we get around johnsonville i remember a fishing buddy of mine mentioning some great fishing up by some power plant so i kept an eye out for any signs.

Just when we were about ready to just pull over and throw in any ole where on the river a bird decided to plow into one of the side mirrors and just as it did i looked out and caught a glimpse of a broken wooden sign that vagely said "power plat rd" well... without haveing to say it twice we flipped around and down the road we went.

After abit of driveing we got to the spot, it was a semi-calm part of the river just after the power plant. And just incase your wondering no there went and radio-active fish being pulled out.

When we got down to the bank we met some other people that already had a good 15+ fish, about 8 mid sized trout and the rest carp. so we setup next to them and no more then 10 minutes later i pulled up a alright sized trout .....maybe 3-4 pounds?

Then a few carp and it slowed down for abit.....it COULD have been bcause there were some kayakers that thought itd be fun to paddle right over our lines and scare all the fish away in the process.... not only that but they stayed there....right in front of us just paddeling away in one spot.......it gets better ecause about 10 minutes later another 12 or so were comeing right where these guys were....ugghhh.. some people.

So i decided to throw in up stream abit before we were going to leave a luckily within about....20 minutes i heard my bell going crazy so i jump up ( i was re rigging someone elses pole ) and set the hook....right then i knew it was a biggun and i was right....after an o so exciteing fight i got the big guy/girl up to the bank. I dont know what sorta fish it was honestly and not haveing a scale id say it was.......maybe 10+ pounds....not to sure and i dont want to exgaerate so yeah...well say around 10.

After that we decided to pack up and head to the lake since this place was already being over ran by kayakers and people that thought itd be a good idea to swim around a bunch of fishing hooks...

Not to much was pulled out of the lake (Isabella) a few catfish and some bluegill , but they were too small so back they went. That and the wind was preatty bad so we decided to pack it up and head home.

All in all it was a GREAT day of fishing and hopefully next weekend will bring just as many Smiles and big fish Smile.

Peace and prosperity to all
Mannix
[signature]
Where you fishing at?? Are you fishing the Lake Isabella in CA??[cool]
[signature]
Sounds like a good day to me. Too bad the yakers decided to harass you. Maybe PETA peaple. I would have been on the phone to the warden.
[signature]