Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worm & Bobber & 2 LB Line On Ultralights
For bluegill fishing w/ my daughter. We were catching some nice bluegills on worm & bobber rigs on ultralights just before it got dark on a friends backyard part of the river.

After my daughter lands another nice bluegill, I thought I would throw my line pretty much to the same place she'd been casting. I saw the bobber move, I waited & set the hook. Big pull on the other end, I loosen the drag just a bit more, not sure what's on the other end. This fish just kept pulling line & when I cranked some line in, the fish took off again.

Finally got it close enough to pull it out of the water while my daughter is keeping tension on the line, & this is what was on the other end:

[Image: 4558carp3.jpg]

My first ever carp & to top it all off on 2 lb mono, I'm guessing around 3 lbs. Now I understand why carp are fun to catch. That was totallly fun, my daughter was a bit perturbed at me that I casted in her area...but she was dealing w/ a bluegill she caught.....that was my explanation....

Just when it was getting dark, I switched out to a Mepps Black Fury w/ yellow dots. I proceeded to catch a few small LM bass & SM bass. Not big but fun to fight on ultralight & 2 lb line. Finally called it a night when my daughter was getting chilled. Good thing cuz it started to rain when we got home.

I sure love fishing w/ my kids!!!
[signature]
Nice job Ghostrider. I'm glad I found a backdoor into getting a reply to your post.

Your picture is 600 pixels wide. Nobody can reply to it. Please remember that the forum limits are at 450 pixels wide on posting pics. Otherwise you can add it to your photo gallery then copy and paste it over here.[cool]
[/reply]
[signature]
Okay, I resized the pic. Thanks!!!
[signature]
Thanks for the resize.

On a good note, Carp are lots of fun on 2lb line. When I lived in UT, we would catch them on accident while fishing for Crappie. On a good day, we had close to 40 carp. They all ranged from 15lb to 25lbs. All on 2lb test.

It takes a while longer to fight them in but the sport of catching a big fish on light gear is very rewarding.[cool]
[signature]
Nice fish partner! I second TubeN2's thoughts on light tackle angling, it is a very rewarding way to fish. I light tackle for just about everything I fish for, fresh and saltwater. I even downsize my gear when I target sharks. I'm using Shimano TR200's spooled with 65lb Power Pro on a stand up rod. LOL, it's a really light rig for sharks, but it makes for one hell of a fight. [cool]
[signature]