Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capt Pete@ extreme fishing charters
Hey [size 1]I'm[/size] thinking about booking a trip with this guide. Anyone in the Murrells Inlet area [size 1]recommend[/size] him or know him? I talked to the ppl @ Capt Dicks about flyfishing the salt and they thought I was speaking [size 1]chinese!! Capt Pete said that is what his specialty is. Anyway if any locals wanna just go fishing let me know...Gas, beer, Bait is on me.....I just dont have a seaworthy boat. I am going to pull my 14 foot jon boat down....but its a pretty shady ride. Very basic Very old jon boat! [/size]
[size 1] Anyway i will be heading down June 15-23[/size]
[size 1] [/size]
[signature]
Hey Partner, DON'T GO ON THAT CHARTER!!!! LOL!!!!!! It's kind of funny you mentioned this charter. DR and I were just talking about ol' Capt Pete. [unimpressed] DR sent me a link to a review of a trip on his boat, I was not impressed at all. And I promiss, there is no fly fishing in Murrells Inlet. So, if that guy said it's "his specialty," he's just blowing smoke. There are some good charters in MI, but you'll be using standard equipment, not fly gear. For fly fishing, you'll have to go a little further south to Georgetown. [Wink] If you want a good charter in MI, give Capt Shannon a call, this is his number:

843-450-1430

I got a chance to check out DR's rig this past weekend, and he's ready for about anything. He's got a nicely equiped Pontoon boat that's plenty comfy, as well as 20+ years experiance out of our favorite little fishing hole. [cool] He's really old, but he can catch some fish. [sly] LOL!!!!!!!!

As for your small john boat, it'll work as long as you stay off the big water. If you put in and go right, you'll be just fine. I've seen loads of small john boats in the inlet. They are better equiped for chasing reds and flounder in the shallows anyhow. You don't have to worry about tearing something up as much. You can also get a detailed color map of the inlet at just about any of the local tackle stores.

Also, if i'm in the area in that time frame, i'll let you know. You can tag along to the reef with me if you'd like. [cool]
[signature]
Hey now, thanks for the nice words Bryan, but I don't take fly fishermen not that I have anything against them it is there is not much of that type fishing worth it here. Go to g-town 15 min s. As for OLD, well if i knew I would have made it this long I would have taken better care but then I would not trade 1 min for all the great times an old man can remember!!!!!!!!! I Think? Dr [Tongue] Anyone that wants to read it is in Charlestonfishing.com under Georgetown/Grandstrand I am not saying anything,it is just there and someone else put it there that went on a trip.
[signature]
Just out of [size 1]curiosity[/size].....Why do you say there is not much luck Flyfishing in murrells Inlet? Are the fish down deep? Just seems if there are Spanish Mac or Blues in schools....You could just throw some baitfish patterns and Strip them like crazy. I [size 1]haven't[/size] done this yet.......But I see spin fisherman throwing Jigs and spoons etc and having luck. I can get my Baitfish flys down about 12 feet on a floating line. If they are deeper than that i could use a sinking flyline. Im just trying to found out what the problems are flyfishing the Inlet so I can prepare for my trip. I know flyfishing in georgetown is where most ppl go.....Mainly i think it just because ppl are going after the Reds in the shallows. Anyway any Info on why Flyfishing does not work in Murrels inlet would be helpful.
[signature]
Fly-guy, not saying you can't catch a Spanish or Red in the inlet but G-town is much better. Lots of flats and open water with less crowd.[angelic]
[signature]
Just to piggy back on what DR was saying..............Many of the creeks in MI are very small. Not alot of room for a fly caster. Plus, alot of your casting will be blind. All the years i've fished MI (20), i've rarely ever seen reds on top consistently enough to sight cast for them.

As for spanish, sure you could target them with a fly rod, it would just be alot of work. You'd just have to find an area where they congrigate and start casting. You'll have to run your fly deep and fast to have a chance.
[signature]
Thanks for the Info guys.....Any ideas of where the Blues and mac school up in the inlet? Last time I fished there...I headed toward the jettes...But not to close..Im fishing out of a small jon boat..But we had alot of luck slinging gotchas.They were nailing those almost every cast...nothing to big but fun. Anyone have a good detailed map of the inlet that i can view online.
[signature]
Actually, i've never seen a spanish caught in the inlet. I've seen many caught just at the mouth of it, but never in it. As for blues, i've caught alot of blues on cut bait at the mouth of the creek feeding into the main channel, just before you round the corner to enter the jetties. (the first from last creek mouth, not the one that runs long side the jettie wall) That's also where the spots like to hang out in the fall.

As for the map, i've got one, but I have no way to put it online. The best thing to do is spend the 5 or 6 bucks and just buy yourself one. [Wink] They are cheap and effective. Not much to study, so you can derise a game plan in just a few moments. [cool]
[signature]
Darn Capt Pete never even emailed me back...What the deal with this guy....Do you guys know him?
[signature]
LOL< I don't know him personally, but I think DR knows of him. His boat is docked right down from his. [Tongue] I think the safest bet is just to say you'd be better not to take part in a charter with him. [Wink]
[signature]
Bryan, have not seen EXTREME FISHERMAN [blush] on the docks lately?
Not sure if he is still in Murrells Inlet or not. He may have moved on or is having trouble with his boat? [crazy]
Anyhow, I just hate to see people run away after a trip feeling like they have been taken for a ride or played for a fool ! [mad] It makes the rest of us look bad, just tell it like it is and if you want to try your luck at fishing it is just that !!!!!!! At least be up front and honest with them ! [Wink] People come to Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach SC to have a good time. [cool] Treat them the way you would want to be treated, with RESPECT [cool]
[signature]
DR What kinda rates do you have for trips? Im going to MI with my family and none of them flyfish.....They baitfish and Spinfish....They are decent fisherman...And are game for really any species. I dont know how booked up you are but We will be there June 16-22 From the sound of things with Capt Pete and his lack of emailing me back....He might be full of the brown stuff. I will have a little jon boat with me so I might just do my own flyfishing stuff with that...Anyway PM with the details
And lets all hope for nice water temps and ideal fishing conditions! All I have is one week a year in the salt!!!!
[signature]
Flyguy, Thanks for asking and hope you can land some on you fly rod! Go to www.Catch-1familyfun.com and you will see the fish we have caugh from the past. Read the fishing report,check prices or send a e-mail. [Wink] I hate to spew numbers over the site but if you need ANY more help feel free to drop me a line. I WILL RETURN YOU MAIL AS SOON AS I FIND IT! [Smile] Pete may have sold his boat,he had his bussiness for sale? Who knows?
[signature]
LOL, he might have moved on, it's hard to tell. Now if we can only make a mark on the parasail boats. [sly]

I just ordered a Boone 4.5" Spanish bird rig and a Vivif Umbrella Rig w/ 4" minnows. I had them 2 day shipped so i'll have them for this weekend. If the spanish are as thick as they were this past weekend, it should be a heck of a trip. I would love to snag a few 6 or 7 pounders. Those bigger spanish can really pull.

I'm going to sneak out there and pull those 3.5" drones I bought on #3 planers. There might be a king hanging around now. We'll just have to see. [cool] You ever use an umbrella rig for spanish Shannon?
[signature]
Man that's too high tech for me ! You on the right track with the planers and drone's. Good luck to ya' this weekend and give me a call. will be on the water Sat. hope to catch your left overs !!!! [cool]
[signature]