Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZANDER
JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ON THE BOARD HAS EVER FISHED THEM.
[signature]
I have not, but they had a lot of them in Holland and Belgium where I was at for a few years.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Never fished European waters but I have heard that the Zander is a walleye on steroids. Although some anglers claim that Zander get much bigger than walleye, the world record is 25 pounds and 2 oz....from Sweden. In other words, they are close to walleye in their upper size ranges.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: zander08.jpg]
[signature]
Cool looking fish. [cool]
[signature]
For the people saying HUH??? please go to [url "http://www.maggotdrowning.com/fish/zander.htm"]http://www.maggotdrowning.com/fish/zander.htm[/url]
[signature]
YA I KNOW WHAT AND WHERE THEY ARE. THEY ARE WALLEYES!!! WITH A COOLER NAME. JUST WONDERING IF ANY HAD EVER HAD THE FORTUNE TO HOOK INTO ONE. I WANT TO.
[signature]
You might have known what they are Ken but the rest of us had no idea what they were[Smile]. Thanks for sharing Pat, cool looking fish. I would bet there are few people that have ever fished for them here in the USA but looks like they would be a worthy fish to target.
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]"I have heard that the Zander is a walleye on steroids."[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1]That must make them fight like a cutt from Strawberry then. Sorry, I couldn't resist pulling Ken's chain. I can always tell when I have hooked a walleye at Willard while trolling for wipers. All I have had to do is look back and see a slight bend on my fishing rod and a fish water skiing on the surface behind the boat.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
SMALL EYE,S ARE GREAT WATER SKIERS. BUT WHEN YOU FINALLY HOOK A REAL EYE KENT. YOUR TUNE WILL CHANGE. IVE HAD EYES TAKE 30 YRDS OF LINE SO FAST YOU WOULD SWEAR IT WAS A BIG TROUT. ITS ABOUT TIME OF YR WITH EYES AND HOW HARD THEY GET AFTER IT. SAW CHUCK HOOK ONE ONE JULY NIGHT THAT HE NOR EYE THOUGHT WAS AN EYE WE THOUGHT IT WAS A HUGE BROWN. 24 INCH EYE. THEY ALWAYS FIGHT HARDER AT NIGHT SEEM LIKE.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I doubt that even the most addicted walleyeholic would ever confuse a walleye with a wiper on the end of their line. it is definitely not their battle that endears them to their fans. It is more their elusiveness and their ultimate table qualities that make them a popular target with some anglers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those who think that the only way to fish is to wash lures behind a boat (trolling) really miss out on any enjoys that walleyes provide when hooked. For those of us who enjoy hunting them, a big part of the reward is that characteristic THUMP, when a walleye chomps down on a lure. The battle afterward can be wimpy, compared to many other species, but they are capable of putting up a pretty heavy scrap when they are healthy and water temps are to their liking. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I still maintain that most walleyes are caught accidently, by anglers fishing for other species. Part of the disdain felt by those who do not catch them is the result of their inability to catch them when they want to. There is no other species in Utah that humbles more fishermen than walleyes. Tiger muskies are easy compared to old marble eye.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anglers who learn enough about walleyes to "be dangerous" will catch many more fish than casual "multi species" anglers who occasionally target them. But, simply knowing more about walleyes is no guarantee that you will catch them on every trip. 'Eye anglers are used to being skunked, and they are not too proud to admit it. It is almost a badge of honor among walleye fans to go fishless...or hitless...on a well planned walleye expedition.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Been there, done that. Got the rash, the T shirt and the pictures to prove it. I also caught a walleye once.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
GOT SKUNKED FISHING FOR EYE,S? NO WAY. LOLOLOLOLOLO. IVE BEEN SKUNKED MOORE BY EYES THAN ANY OTHER FISH THAT SWIMS IN UTAH. THE TRUE EYE CHASERS MY FIND A HOT BITE WHILE SEEKING THE EYE,S WILL HE SIT AND CATCH THE UN TAGETTED FISH. NO WAY HE WILL MOVE ON AND KEEP SEEKING HIS PREY OF CHOICE. ID RATHER GET SKUNKED ON EYES THAN GIVE UP FOR AN EASYER TARGET. THE CHALLANGE THE WOP. AND THE HEAD SHAKES FROM A BIG HEN BULLDOGGING ARE WHAT KEEP US TRUE EYE CHASERS HOOKED. OY I CAUGHT ONE ONCE. LOL
[signature]
Isn't the scientific name for a walleye Zander vitreum? A member of the percidae (perches) family. That does sound alot cooler "Zander".
[signature]
i almost named my son zander. wife threatend devorce. lol
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sooo...what's the downside?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
hole bunch of downsides to that one. better edit that before the babe see, it. lol
[signature]