Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming gorge report
Just got back today (5/18). Let me start by thanking the jim and wyobraz for the advice and heads up on conditions. Good Lord tried for some macs early in the mornings. Felt like I was feeding a tictac to a whale! Standing on ice jigging down 15 to 30ft with 1/8 oz jigs is one thing. And jiging from a boat w/2oz 8in jig 20lb line 8ft heavy heavy rod and reel. Completly diffrent. I thought some of my ice fishn expertice would translate. No sir not at all! As a matter of fact I got skunked. Hey Jim Im a savin. Built up a pretty good resentment. I go spend 30 bucks on tackle that does me no good anywhere (or the gorge for that matter). And those dam macs would even nibble. Anyway the point of the trip was to take my boy campin fishin and that want well. He broke in his new pole with a mess of rainbows. Hardly a rhyme or reason to how he caught em. Shallow, deep, spinners, jigs, in the middle, near shore, back bay, main channel. Didnt matter. Thats my BOY! I mostly used plastic crawdads and caught about 20 smb about 5 bows per day nothing huge. The smallies I would say are starting or in there spawn. Warm pockets on the shore in the coves seemed to be the ticket there. Weather was great except the afternoon squalls that came threw. We camped at hidout cg. Had the place to ourselve. Though the camp attendant is now there happly accepting camp fees. Wouldnt expect everybody to get the same but dude met me at the dock to tend my boat everytime he seen me comin in. Kudos to Ed the camp attendant at hideout! Oh yah whats up with no milage markers. And the cedar springs marina sucks (wheres the floatin store) and that dude there is an ass or was havin a bad day. Almost forgot just south of hideout canyon I seen 3 deer swimin across all bucks Sweeeeeet!
[signature]
cool report. glad your boy had fun. the mac,s can drive ya mad. hope ya got some photos of the bucks. thats an awsume sight alot of people dont know deer swim very good. strawberry is where ive seen it. bucks also. ken
[signature]
Not sure what you were looking for but there is a store that sells just the basics. didn't have the selection you were looking ehh. Good report your son is a stud, any pics. Sorry you had a bad experience with that dude it wont happen when I show up.
[signature]
Did ya fish for kokes?
[signature]
Great report!!![Smile] I'd rather have my daughter catch fish all day long than me catching 1 Mack any day of the week, you must be proud. Good thing for me my daughter she is graduating to Mack fishing this year so I can spend more time after macks.LOL I'm glad to here the smallies are warming up, last couple of people I have talked to around town said they were still slow with the cold water temps.

Oh save up and get booked with Jim he'll show how to do it for the macks, from what I have heard though you need to book well in advance. Don't feel to bad about 30 bucks of bad tackle thats part of learnig the macks, I wasted about 30 bucks of lead, plastic, and hooks just today on experimental stuff and I won''t even use it.

Did you get pics of the deer swiming. Ive never seen them swim across before, that must have been neat.

Later
Wyobraz
[signature]
Just blowin smoke about the Floatin store. I spent 45 min explaining to a 4yr old he was freezing his azz off (early in the morning hunting for starter fluid) because there was a cool store that floats and I would get him a FG T shirt. No fluid or T shirts and I was chastised for using starter fluid which I already know is not the smartest but beats hiking out of Hideout canyon to the road.[Tongue]
I figured the Kokes would be even tuffer than macs from what Ive heard.[Tongue]

Im to proud for words about my boy. 5yr old on sunday and already semi self sufficent w/spinnin rod. And I was solo and did'nt have moms camera. But according to Ed (camp attendant) Its been a fairly common occurece in that area in spring (moose too). Ive got pic of the trip but I havent got around to dowloading plus I may need help posting them tomorrow.[Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Email the pics to me and I will wave my magic wand over them to get them into your post. It will have to be later in the day since I will be at the Willard Bay cleanup.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "mailto:pscouten@comcast.net"]pscouten@comcast.net[/url] [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good report... [cool]

The guy at Ceda SPrings must have been havin a bad day. The last 4 years I have been fishing out of there, he has been VERY nice to us. [angelic]
[signature]