Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2-person pontoons - opinions?
My wife and I were talking the other day at the lake about boats and how nice it would be to have something to get out on some of the larger water bodies. Boats are nice but come with a fair amount of maintenance and storage issues, so I thought maybe a 2-person pontoon boat might be a better option. Looking around I've seen several brands, but the low end seems to be the ODC 1220 ($1000), the Fishcat 13 ($1700), and the North Fork Outfitters McKenzie Drifter ($1600). I doubt that we would ever take one of these on a river; pretty much lakes and ponds only.

Who out there has experience with any of these? Give me some feedback - actual experience and boat-specific features that are better preferred.

Thanks
RD
[signature]
[black][size 3]I have looked closely at the boats available, and have drawn some conclusions. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I fish from a pontoon boat, but have no experience with a two man boat. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]In my opinion, after looking at the company reputations, materials, warranty, and costs, I feel that the two man boat from North Fork is the best of the lot. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think that because they offer urethane bladders, thick outer skin, premier valves, and an innovative design, they would be my choice is I were buying a two man craft.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I also like the accessories that they have available for their boats.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Everyone that has their products have been satisfied with them. I have never heard complaints from owners.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I have a lot of experience with them. We had the two man and the three man at the lodge (Northfork).
There are pros and cons. They are designed for one to row and the other to fish. The standing platform is really nice and we went with them so that we were right there to help the clients with the fish. They are very large and would require a trailer. They track beautifully. We ordered the standing platform for the rower also which was nice cause it allows the rower the ability to stand. One word of advise, be sure and get the lock for the standing bar. I always worried that the client was going to go flipping out of the boat if they needed to sit down or lost their balance as the bar swings inward. I always warned them to grab the back of the seat first, but the lock is cheap enough.
Now cons: They are huge. If you want to fish different areas you cannot. I tried to talk Dave into making two seperate pontoons that could be joined in the middle to make one (I think some companies have tried it)
Personally I see them more as a guide/client thing, but if you don't mind that, they are great.
I do know that they are selling the two up at the lodge for a good price if you wanna check, but they are in Utah. Falcon's Ledge.
[signature]
For a good price, I could travel. Just googled the lodge - I haven't been up in that area in 30 years or more. Beautiful country. Any idea how much they want and the condition/age? PM me if you don't want to put that out on the forum. I'm not sure what you mean about fishing different areas - just the logistics of moving the boat from one location to another, or maneuvering in a river? I have a trailer that I think would work with a little modification.

Thanks
RD
[signature]
by fishing in different areas, I mean I go where the fish are and my Hubby......welll![laugh]
We had a 14' aluminum boat we sold for the two Cardiacs for that reason, plus one has to do the driving (specially on breezie days)
I will PM you a name and number....they are one year old. Negotiate with Spencer or Dan however.
[signature]
For fishing? Two sitting side by side (?), how do u guys/gals cast the rod? I got the canoe and my son comes along and there gets two minds on which way to go and which spot to fish.
[signature]
The Pontoon is front and rear. Side by side could get ugly if you are both right handed...or both left handed.[pirate]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12367;]
[signature]
I Talked with one of my customers last week and he picked up a scaddin 2man and he loves it the only prob he hac is that its heavey if he goes by himself he told me he's going to buy a single toon so he can go alone if he has to.
[signature]