Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bowfin "Dowg Fish"
I guess this one should have been added to this board.

these pesky critters are fairly active at the moment.

I caught this one lurking about in the middle of the day as I was trying to get on the water...

I would say he is in the 30 inch class. [center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6976/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: new_ramp_UL_dowg_fish.jpg][/url][/center] [center] [/center] [left]any one here fishing or bow hunting these guys?[/left]
[signature]
I'll admit to it Dave. I see them alot when Im bass fishing and down here their always 10-15lbs. I just cant pass one up, they give up a good fight and grow big. Actually I was looking at the state record for georgia and it only 18lbs, I think if I tried hard enough I could break it this summer. Oh yea, the Bowfin are "mudfish" down here.

Matt
[signature]
mud fish is a suitable name for them, cause that is where they live if you have a lake that has a black muck area in it.

just cast a 3 inch bobber out at 10 pm with a frog on the end of it near the mucky area and wait. youll beat that record in no time. I think my biggest was 40+ inches... and maybe 25 pounds. a giant stick of skunk weed smelling sime log... "best discribes one that comes out of the muck"

the ones out of my home lake when you cut them open are like cutting in to a can of crisco...
[signature]
[center][Image: dog_fish.JPG][/center][center]here is a bowfin I caught a couple years ago, 28 inches about 8-9 pounds[/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center]sorry about the photo quality, it was taken on the tail end of the life of my old digital.[/center] [center][/center] [center]this one was caught in the same water the other one's picture was taken in.[/center]
[signature]
I just looked up michigan state record for bowfin,

14 pounds in the biggest and 35.5 inches is the best recorded for lenth.

I saw I also had a typo on my last post saying mine was 38 inches when it should have said 28 inches.
[signature]
Them nasty eating machines! ... not to be Confused with Burbot/'eelpout' /'lawyers'.
[signature]