Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Carp Show em off
Heres is a small one my seven year old caught not sure how big but he was exited
[signature]
Not to sounds like a total idiot, but....how do you recommend fishing for carp? I've always wanted to catch one, but haven't had any luck. I'm better at largemouth, catfish, and of course, bluegill. Any suggestions?
[signature]
First off you do not sound like an idiot not knowing how to catch carp. Although they are the most fished for fish in the world it seems we here in the USA have not given them much press. If you go to the bait shop and ask "Wher are the carp bitting?" or "Do you know a hot body of water for suckers around here." You get, at best, blank stares and at worst geers and laughter.
I am not a successful carp fisher, but I have been told that the tactics for cat fishing are very similar.
If you want to try fly fishing for carp a good place to go is:
[url "http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/"]http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/[/url] , There is good information there even if you are not fly fishing for them. Also you may want to google roughfish and see what comes up. I am a member of another forum that deals mostly with what folks call rough fish...carp, suckers, buffalo, etc.. I can not put up a link to the site because of the rules of this site, but if you google roughfish you will probably find it.
Best of luck to you.
[signature]
Thanks for asking.

we use a number of baits, Corn, Crawler, Doghball

method for those baits is catfish style fishing, set your drag to run because they will run. then set the hook hard.

I have even caught one with a fly rod fly fishing. "by axident" but there is now a sport for fly fishig for carp on lake st clair michigan.

to make a dogh ball, you can use most any flower based dogh or pick up some bread. I my self use shredded wheat.

to make a dogh ball out of cerial, most any kind will work, take a hand full and pour a little bit of water in to your hand with the cerial, mash it untill it becomes a ball, you may need to add more or less water. it should be the concistincy of playdogh.... (pratice at home once or twice to get the feal)

you then can form the dogh around a hook. Trebbles worlk well but so do single shank hooks. Cast out in to a hole where carp are known to be, prop up your rod (preferably in a rod holder or forked stick) and wait.

check your bait about once an hour, replace the doghball if needed.

note if you make the doghball to hard you wont be able to set the hook, if you make it to soft it wont stay on the hook in the water for more than a couple minutes.

Dry to the touch yet formable is the key to doghball....
[signature]
Looks like a 22 incher to me... Great catch.....[Image: surprised.gif]

I am impressed, carp do like to run, are known to make several good runs before you are able to land them...[shocked]

Its important to let them make their runs. Not may first timers get to net their first carp, let alone get a chance to see what it was...

horsing and fighting carp will only lead to snapped lines and streightned hooks.

Congradulations.... that is quite an accomplishment...
[signature]
How did I miss this one?[crazy]

now theres a specimine worth taking note of any day.

Photo I hope is in a frame on the wall somewhere.

Looks to like to me every thing a man could want is in that photo..... nice boat, torphy carp and a live at home skilled angling buddy Congradulations....
[signature]
what do u catch carp on?
[signature]
most of the time I am sitting on shore. Dose that help?

I like to use shredded wheat, that was what my dad used and did well with so I tend to do it the way I learnt it....

I make a dogh ball out of the cerial.
[signature]
Here is one from this past weekend. It was in a shallow marsh and it was all sight fishing with a fly rod! It was a blast, this fish took me into my backing twice! Most carp in this area are 8-15 pounds so this one was a sweet surprise!
[signature]
thats a mighty fine lookin specimin for sure, thanks.[cool]
[signature]
Some nice fish on here. Where I live large carp are sought after by fishing clubs,. A few years ago a 30lb carp would fetch around $1500 a 40 $6000 a 50 name your price!
[signature]
33lb14oz Mirror Carp, caught on a dog biscuit!

I have uploaded my picture in here, how do you get it to show?
Thanks
[signature]
just 28 pounds. caught in kingston, TN

[inline DSC_0010.JPG]
[signature]
Here is another one, even bigger then the last. I was kneeling down sight casting to him as he was rooting his way toward me. He got within fifteen feet and I was almost laying down, anyway he liked the cast and took. Left the shallow marsh and found the canal channel. It took FOREVER to land the fish on 2x tippet and a seven weight rod. Biggest carp to date. I don't carry a scale with me but it went 34 inches long. Not a very fat carp like most that have been posted. The area I fish doesn't produce the football carp.
[signature]
cool pictures!
[signature]
Dear DavetClown,
Wahoo, that carp sure is nice. Do folks eat carp? If so, how does it taste? Often, my fishing partner tells me to release the carp that I catch. He says something about that carp is not edible. Thanks!
Happy Fishing!
Catfishchic

[Image: CatfishchicsFishingStore01.gif]
[signature]
thanks....

absolutley they are edible.

what you have to watch for is the water they come out of. if it is dirty and skanky I wouldnt eat them either,

but if you can find them in a nice clean water lake, or stream. they are pretty taisty. there are bones to watch out for.

and avoid what is called the mud vain. when you fillett it, you cant miss it. it is the one running right down the center of the fillett. The dirtyer the water the muddier the vein will be...

the back straps and belly straps are boneless. the mid section is quite large and the bones can be pulled out individualy. they are big not wirey like pike bones.

I like to use a corn bread batter or a beer batter on carp.
[signature]
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/11578/cat/668"][Image: DSCN1099.JPG][/url]
[center]
[center]this is what you get after you dump your corn in a trout river...
[center]
[center]they are stacked in the river by the hundreds, [crazy]
[signature]