Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galveston Bay Texas ??
I'm looking at running down here this summer/fall and am wondering if anyone here has any insight to fishing the bay. I'll be trailering my boat down so I'll have a scooter on the water.

anyone have any insight?
[signature]
Hey birddog, my first tid bit of advice is to post this same question on the Texas state board. However, if I know you, you already have. [Wink]

Now, as for fishing a bay. Fishing an inlet/bay is pretty basic. Find the bait or structure, and you should be able to find fish. If it's a larger bay, that might prove to be difficult. Bridges usually hold flounder, sheepshead, etc.... Depending on what type of fish hold in the bay there, you might find trout and drum along oyster beds and sandbars. I'm sure you'll have plenty of luck. Make sure and turn the sonar on and take it slow. Nothing will turn your day into a bad one like a sandbar. [Tongue]
[signature]
Thanks for the reply T4Me.. I haven't tossed it up on the Texas board yet just because I understand folks travel there often to fish. I'll probably post it up there sometime soon though.

yea I understand it can be caotic navigating the bay already.. but I've only done a little reading about so far. This will actually be my first solo saltwater trip.. i've only done a few days worth of surf casting when I was out east in college and while on a few trips in Alaska on the Prince Willy Sound - guided of course.. so not alot of experience under my belt.

I do a good amount of river fishing here in Wisconsin though so I have some pertinant experience navigating tough water.. its different I can imagine that but I'll be going pretty slow for the first couple runs until I get a bit more comfortable and know what to expect.. I've been using navigational GPS units for a while so that'll be useful as always..

Its going to be a fun trip and I hope to make it an anual trip if it goes well enough.
[signature]
Galveston is always good for Red Drum, Black Drum, Specs and Hammer Heads. If your are lucky, you might even get into some Cobia. During the summer months there are also Roosterfish in there so bring some rods with a backbone to them.[cool]
[signature]
Hey tN2.. thanks for the reply bud.

question here.. Do you suppose my 250/400 Calcuttas and E600PT/E650PT reels going to pass on St Croix PC76HF and PC70MHF rods for most bay fins?..
[signature]
Those are just in the right range for the Small, medium, and Large. Depending on the type of angler you are, you could even handle one from the 4 dimension too.

1st small

2nd medium

3rd large

4th [black][size 6]OMG!![cool][/size][/black]
[signature]
[laugh]
yea I'll be tying the rod off and grabbing the flare gun if I hook into a dimension 4 fish.. I know that Quantum tested their low profile Energy PTs on monster Tarpon but seeing as its my first trip I don't want to bring a knife to a gun fight I ya know what I mean. [Wink]
[signature]
Gotcha![Wink]

This might be your first encounter with one of the big Hammerhead Sharks that hang around there too.

Don't forget to bring extra flares.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
Gotcha![Wink]

This might be your first encounter with one of the big Hammerhead Sharks that hang around there too.

Don't forget to bring extra flares.[cool] [/reply]
If I hook into a Hammerhead I'll need extra underwear!! [Tongue]
[signature]
Hey tn2 - What weight fly gear would I be best rigged with for an area like this?.. just incase I decide on bringing something with.

Yea,.. I'd have to buy it but I've been thinking it might be a good thing to have handy.
[signature]
If you are a super sport type of Angler, you should do fine with a 5 or 6wt if you have it. You will still need to use a little stronger leader than you are used to with Trout and Panfish.

Sometimes the Drum can pull like a freight train. About half way through your backing you might be thinking," Why don't I own a 9wt by now??"

I mostly use a 9 or 10wt anyways for the salt unless I am targeting bigger fish on purpost then I will bring my 11wt.

You should do fine with 12 or 15lb leader material. No need to worry about tapers and stuff. You just need to get it out there.

If you can Spey cast or Whip Cast, you will get far enough out there to do some damage. Waders are a must too. The waves are generally low except during hurricane season. You will be able to walk out a good distance in the water.

Bring some Clousers, Zonkers, heavy streamers and especially some Mango flies.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
Great info, tN2! Thanks! As ya know I'm picking up a new 5/6 rig soon so I'll be covered with the 'lighter' stuff. .. I'm looking at the possibility of larger fins and a desperate desire to one day (in the near future) get into some Tarpon.

Will the 9/10 suit me or do I go full bannana with the 11?

I've been contemplating about it for a while and came to the conclusion I should go solely with a saltwater set-up. That way I'm covered on both salt and freshwater and I could use it on Esox here at home.

I won't be scared to put some money into this one but won't be shooting the moon on it either since it'll have a purpose and I know how rough I am on things.

I'll be practicing like a fool here on my casting.. have been again for a few weeks already but the spey isn't in my bag of tricks yet.. maybe a bit later on down the road. [Wink]

yep .. the saltwater fly patterns I'm entirely ignorant on! So I'll have to do some diggin' on that too.

Thanks man. [/reply]
Take a guess who didn't sign in before posting [crazy][angelic]
[signature]
[pirate] __it happens.[Tongue]

I have probably done that plenty of times too. I have an excuse though. I'm blonde![cool]
[signature]