Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nest...
How big do u'r bass make their nest? I see ours about up to two feet in diameter. Out here in Illinois bass go about up to ten pounds where I could see them nesting. (I haven't seen one yet) I wonder about those states that have bigger bass as TubeN2 caught make them alot bigger?
[signature]
Good question. I've noticed that the smallies out here in Utah have beds that are roughly 18" across when they're in the sand but smaller when found in chunk rock. The lmb's are about the same. When I was in Texas I was surprised to see how big the beds were. Some were 3' across and defended voraciously, but the fish were alot bigger.
I went out fishing today and saw that the bluegills were on beds, cute little guys. They were about 8-10" across and refused to leave them.
[signature]
Ive seen beds down here up to 4-5 foot accross with 10-12 pound female and 3-4 pound buck bass sitting on it. I feel thats one of the best ways to scout a lake to see how big the fish run in it by walking around with polorized glasses while on beds and seeing whats out there. I saw a few in one small lake that might go over 12 so maybe I'll hook into one of those big girls this year[cool] they get lock jaw sometimes on bed and wont bite lizards, crawfish, all your traditional spawning bass baits. So I like to try them right after the eggs hatch and they are guarding fry are right after and the bluegill move on the beds, the bigs ones always seem to be lurking right off the shallows waiting to make a run through the bed and seem alittle more aggresive down here. At the same time I've killed them sitting on the beds full of roe on flukes all day long. Bass seem to have differant personalities on differant bodies of water.

Matt
[signature]
The beds here are around the same size. I have seen some up to about 30 inches. I have also seen smaller ones.[cool]
[signature]
Wow, I wish to see that! That's big!!![shocked]
[signature]