Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fontanelle, WY
Went with a buddy up to Kemmerer area this weekend. We trolled Sat and Sun and boated 80 - 100 trout and kokes (this is just what we landed!) up to about 4 pounds or so. Lost a very large koke right at the boat that went 4-5 lbs....just broke my heart! Best depths were 10-30 feet over nothing much deeper than 45 feet. Fish seemed to be in fairly shallow near the gravelly shores, esp. when the breeze picked up. Hot baits were needlefish, rocky mountain spoons, murphy spoons, humdingers in chartruese, green, silver/black or pink/pearl. Fish bit better with the breeze and W--- blowing. No pics except those I took on my camera phone. Largest fish landed went about 21 1/2 inches, but very fat! These fish are hot and fought like champs! Caught rainbows, Colorado cutts, both German and Loch Levin <sp> browns, as well as some kokes. One of my best fishing trips ever! [cool]
[signature]
I have always wanted to fish up there but can't bring myself to pull my boat that far. [Sad]
[signature]
Sounds like it's worthy of the drive. I've never been there but have hward great stories of big fish. All that way and no camera, too bad, guess you'll just have to go again. [Smile]
[signature]
It's totally worth the drive! But a little too far for a day trip! Make it an overnighter. It is only 3 hours from Midvale....
[signature]
I do have several photos I snapped with my cell phone. Once I figure out how to get them to the net, I shall post them for you guys.
[signature]
Headed there next weekend, Thanks for the report!!!!!
[signature]
Were you using a doger in front of the lures? Great report, thanks for posting it, in case you did not already post it on the Wyoming board, I bet they would like to read it also. The way I have posted pictures from a cell phone is to send them to my Email account then copy them from there to a post. WH2
[signature]
Great report- sounds like you guys had fun. When I used to live up that way, we'd catch some real nice troutskis trolling frog-colored flatfish.

I hear that goof dumped those 'snake-fish' (not sure the real name) into that lake and the Green River. I wonder how long Fontanelle will produce huge trout.
[signature]
WH2, my buddy refuses to use such things as blades, flashers, or dodgers. So we fished 'em bare! Only one of the longlines had a chrome jetdiver in front of the lure to get it down. When the lake was flat calm (yes, it really did get calm for a little while!), I'd say it would do more harm than good. Could help to use one when the lake is rough, but we did great without them. So I'd only use a dodger in front of a hoochie or bug.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip on the pics! Here they are....
[signature]
Great pics!
[signature]
Those pics are making me hungery! Nice fish!

Matt
[signature]