Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorial Weekend
We went up to Idaho on a spur of the moment thing Saturday evening. Got up Sunday morning and headed out to LAKE X for a little fishing. The reports were that the lake was fishing real slow right now and good times were morning to 11:00 a.m. and evenings, so we get there at noon

The fishing was indeed slow, but I did catch a nice 24".

[inline "Pocatello memorial07 1 450.jpg"]
[inline "Pocatello memorial07 2 450.jpg"]

But here is the deal. On one side the fish looked very normal with the yellow circle around the pupil of the eye. Flip it over and it has a BASS red circle around the pupil. I have never seen this! It was a light hook-up with a size 12 soft hackle in the corner of the mouth (a little blood there from the hook), but no where near the eye...WEIRD. If it is blood, it would have had to be under the eye lens, cause it did not wash away.

[inline "Pocatello memorial07 4 450.jpg"]

Also, while there in Poky we stayed at my Brother in-laws house. He has built a beautiful waterfall, into an "S" shaped river into a fairly large pool where he has some nice Koi.

[inline "Pocatello memorial07 7 450.jpg"]

While cleaning the pump to the pond, found this critter, measuring about 1 1/4". Looking at the tail I am thinking Dragonfly...what do you think?

[inline "Pocatello memorial07 6 450.jpg"]
[signature]
Nice job on the 24".

I do see the Dragonfly in the last picture. I guess you could tie some flies to resemble that stage.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Well, not a totally lost weekend. Pretty bow, even with the bloodshot eye. Must have been only half a party. Could have been the result of some kind of injury or infection. Lots of possibilities. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The nymph is definitely dragonfly. I have watched them in aquariums. They are deadly predators on smaller aquatic insects and will even capture and eat tadpoles. They have an extendible mandible (lower jaw) that they can shoot out to grab their food. Big trout candy. You find them mostly in stillwater, seldom in moving.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the info on the Dragonflies. I had no idea they ate tadpoles. I will let my sister in-law know you she can keep a closer watch on the pond.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][url "http://www.bugsurvey.nsw.gov.au/html/popups/bpedia_08_tol_dr-ny-a.html"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to a web page that shows a pic of your critter and some other info.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Be careful about letting kids and small animals into that pond. It could be hazardous.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Be truthful now, did you try a few casts for the koi (carp)? I used to catch them up to about 20 pounds in a pond in southern California. Nothing but carp in fancy pajamas.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I wanted to try differnt flies for the Koi, but these things are so untrained and hungry all the time, that I think they would take anything. Plus they are my sister in-laws babies and she would have killed me.
[signature]
hehehe Id of tried one or two flies anyway... [Wink]

MacFly
[signature]
Had no idea these guys ate tadpoles.. I see them a lot (in the adult stage flying around) at the lakes I fish.. just never seem to be there at the right time for the fish to want to take my flies... Ill learn the in's and out's one day... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I always appreciate seeing them flying around a lake. They eat bunches of mosquitoes and other flying bugs. Their legs form a basket, under their body, and they capture their food on the wing. They are very efficient predators in both their aquatic and adult phases.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Adult dragonflies are often highly prized by trout and bass. It is not uncommon to see fish following under one flying across the surface and then jumping clear out of the water to try to catch one in midair. I have had a lot of fun fishing a blue dragon fly imitation in shallow water for small bass. One of my best techniques is to lay a gentle cast over a drooping cattail or other reed and then jiggle the fly above the water. What a hoot to have those fish jump up and snarf the fly while it is in the air above them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That sounds like a neat trick. Next time I am out to Dixon and I see them I will try that.. but as always I have a question.. do you know the gestation period for the larvae when they are the most vulnerable in the water??? As I said I see the adults in different sizes.. meaning some are younger.. so with that in mind.. if I have a general idea of gestation then I can try to calculate when the larvae are in the water in that area.. hope that made sense..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Depending upon the species of dragon fly, and the water, there can be nymphs in the water at all times. They may live in the water from a few months to several years before changing into adults...which do not live more than a few months at most.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonfly#Life_cycle"]ANOTHER WEB SITE LINK[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the info and the link.. I guess I can use my dragonfly flies as a backup in certain situations.. especially over reeds etc..

I have seen these guys in many colors at Dixon in particular.. red, blue, green, yellow .. amazing beautiful insects...

MacFly
[signature]
I think around here we are more use to Damsels (in blue) and the Dragons in Tan, Brown and Orange. Damsel nymphs are deadly which a olive Haresear would represent.
What ever colors you have there in CA. think Haresears in close to the same colors and BIG like 1" to 1 1/2" long.
[signature]
FG,

I think you sent me some olive damsels in one of the fly "packages" [cool].. plus I did order in some dragon fly flies all in olive.. I also think I have some haresears but think those are tans and browns.. so.. hmmmm Im thinknig olive damsel with haresear dropper.. ???

btw.. I have also seen damselflies in blue or green.. but the colors of the dragon flies are amazing....

course I could be way off on my bug identities.. LOL>. ...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Here's a poor picture of a dragon fly imitation that I use in local lakes.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It can be tied in various colors to replicate the local insect life.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The dragon fly is the nastiest insect in the water. It is eaten by fish, but has not problem attacking and eating minnows and small fry.[/size]
[signature]
That is an awesome pattern Saber. I think a dark olive or brown will pretty much cover anything. As you can see from the picture...they are brown/gold in color. I tie mine out of a Spetrumized blend that cover a bunch of colors, but the key seems to be to tie the head out of Copper or Brown thread.
[signature]
[black][size 3]That particular dragon fly imitation is one that our friend Dennis taught me to tie.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have not fished it using your method of chironomid fishing, with the long leader and indicator, but it sounds like a better way to go than a fast sinking line.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It seems that I have read somewhere, that in that state of development, the dragon fly lives for several months or even more than a year on the bottom of lakes where they reside.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]After thinking about, I'm anxious to try the leader/indicator method of fishing them. As you know, unless you are fishing almost straight down below yourself, it is difficult to detect hits.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Underwater the dragon fly "dragons" act much different than the damsel fly dainties. The latter are prone to swimming around more, and are easily represented with the "Henry's Lake lift". Dragons, on the other hand, tend to crawl along the bottom or up on vegetation, hunting for prey or lying motionless in ambush. To represent them you almost have to fish them like a snail imitation...very little movement.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, wherever the big buggies live, you can get reasonable representation with a small wooly bugger. Big trout are not always that descriminating and will smack anything that looks "near 'nuff". Again, varying shades of brown, tan and green will get 'er done.[/#0000ff]
[signature]