Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Fishin
Ok fellow fly fishers, I use poppers mostly to catch my bass, pretty much due to the lack of knowledge of what other flies to use to catch bass. What do you guys use? Streamers?

I have seen the rat flies, the lizard flies, etc. Tried a rat fly a couple of times with no avail.
[signature]
What is wrong with POPPERS? They are a great fly. For fun, try a Royal Wulff sometime.

I am getting this new foam for hoppers from Rainy. It is a popper/hopper. It has a foam bowl on the front to help it pop. Can't wait to try them.
[signature]
[reply]
What is wrong with POPPERS? They are a great fly. For fun, try a Royal Wulff sometime.

I am getting this new foam for hoppers from Rainy. It is a popper/hopper. It has a foam bowl on the front to help it pop. Can't wait to try them. [/reply]
[#005000]Sssoooooooooooo this is a grasshopper with a popper front.. or maybe down in the thorax area.. or is this a frog pattern like yo usent to me with a popper front.... I know I know.. Mac his endless questions again... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh][/#005000]
[signature]
[reply]

I am getting this new foam for hoppers from Rainy. It is a popper/hopper. It has a foam bowl on the front to help it pop. Can't wait to try them. [/reply]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there flygoddess are you getting new foam from Rainy or he is sending you a new popper utilizing a new foam? Duh - I have never done well in the comprehensive reading department.[Tongue][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Here is a picture of the whole fly. I want to order just the body and make my own.
Notice that the head looks like a bowl on it's side.

[inline "Hopper Popper.jpg"]
[signature]
Popper, Hoppers, Hopper-Poppers are good in the early morning and late afternoon when the Bass are hitting on the top.

They are spawning now and resist moving from the beds.

Streamers, Clousers, Heavy Leaches, minnows and Zonkers are the ticket right now if you want to get down to the 15 foot mark where the beds are. You can also do well with the weighted craw imitations too.

River to sea makes some good Craw imitations. They are a little heavier, on the 3/8oz size but you can shoot cast them or do the "Dip Whip" style cast.

A nice 4 or 5wt with fast sinking tip and slow strip is the key.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]

.......Streamers, Clousers, Heavy Leaches, minnows and Zonkers are the ticket right now if you want to get down to the 15 foot mark where the beds are. You can also do well with the weighted craw imitations too....... ........do the "Dip Whip" style cast.......
[/reply]
[#005000]heres an irony for you.. I was gonna recommend the same stuff except the craws....just with my limited experience I was not sure if I could get the flies names right...lol.. now.. would you add the pistol pete to that list especially since it creates more "noise" in the water and therefore be more attractive to the bass???[/#005000] [#005000] [/#005000] [#005000]also...what is the "dip whip" style cast .. and can you not only explain it but if possible give a link to a video that shows how to do it???[/#005000] [#005000] [/#005000] [#005000]MacFly [cool][/#005000]
[signature]
The Pistol Petes would also be good but they seem to be most effective on the topwater.

The Dip Whip cast is another one of my combo casts. It combines a single lash Spey with that of a light line shooter cast. You need to pre-strip a lot of line before your cast.

I hope you are taking good notes because when we meet up, I will show you any of the SoCal Specialty casts.[cool]
[signature]
lol...do you ever sleep???

I had a suspicion it had someting to do with spey casting...since I have no experience with spey casting I will be your able student soaking information up like a big sponge.. [Wink]

now on the pistol pete could you not put a little weight on it or maybe use a sinking line to get it deeper and therefore closer to the fish and then be able to utilize its assets to your best advantage...???

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
For some reason, the Small Mouth Bass and Trout are the most intrigued by the deeper Pistol Petes.

In reality, to get the Pistol Pete down by using extra weight, requires a stinger setup or by putting the weight on the back of the fly as to not disrupt the flow to the little propeller. You could also use the faster sinking tip flyline instead.

I am still waiting to try some of the Gummy Minnows. They sell them in the fly shops now. I'm sure those would be a treat for the LMB.[cool]
[signature]
so I was right...lol... its amazing how much one can learn just by coming to these boards....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I'm not saying anything against the poppers!

I use pistol petes for trout sometimes too. I will give it a shot. I tried the streamers with no luck. I even tried a San Juan Worm that got me a bluegill. Still haven't landed a bass on that one yet.
[signature]
SF...sorry if I gave you the impression I thought you had something against poppers... I read your original post as.. I have used these and want to use something else to catch a particular type of fish..can you help?....

..my last comment was directed more toward tuben2.. and I was expressing my "delight" at being right about the pistol pete and and sinking line idea.. I am still new to this sport and in general learn something new almost every day.. I then try to help others by passing on what I have learned or experienced.. but always wanting to make sure I am passing on the correct information so I rely on more experienced anglers to either expand on what I said or correct what I said...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I'm glad we got that all figured out. I think I will go Pop some Popcorn now and see if Pete want's to join me. Oh yeah, he can bring his hand gun wiht him........LOL[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[reply]
I'm glad we got that all figured out. I think I will go Pop some Popcorn now and see if Pete want's to join me. Oh yeah, he can bring his hand gun wiht him........LOL[laugh][laugh][laugh] [/reply]

[#005000]hey...save some of that popcorn for me.. or maybe.. hmmmmm look at it as a new carp fly.. little cluster of three or four pieces.. floating like the corn does.. wanna bet they would hit on it.. [laugh][/#005000]
[#005000][/#005000]
[#005000]cant wait to see the results of your hoppin popper.. or is that poppin hopper.. or popper hopper.. or hopper popper.. geeeezzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeee now I have gone and Confused myself and I an not even blonde.. [laugh][/#005000]
[#005000][/#005000]
[#005000]MacFly [cool][/#005000]
[signature]
haha thanks for the information and clarification.

I have been fly fishing for only about 12 years, and when you learn from traditionalists, you end up with a fly case full of wulfs, adams, BWOs, and a fondness of only trout. I took my fly rod out last summer for some lake and tried some poppers on some bass. Great fight and a good time.

Even more recently I got a saltwater setup, but haven't had any luck catching fish on within my last 3 outings.

on a more interesting note. I attached a popcorn to 18 size hook, and caught a salmon. Must of thought it was an egg or something.
[signature]
That is funny you should mention that. Macfly you know who Betty Hiner is....well here is her Popcorn Fly out of foam. Pretty cool.

[inline popcornfly.jpg]

Looks easy enough, and I have the white foam. Back to the fly tying table.
[signature]
[#005000]hmmmmmmmm a little brown color in the middle for the husk.. and a tinge of yellow for the melted butter.. Id say it would look pretty tasty..LOL.. I had a feeling a fly like this was out there.. as popcorn or tiny marshmallows.. but I bet it would catch the attention of the fish.. I think it looks cool....[/#005000]
[#005000][/#005000]
[#005000]..and no I was not trying to get you back to the tying table.. LOL... so if mojo gets mad dont blame it on me...cause Im innocent this time....[angelic][/#005000]
[#005000][/#005000]
[#005000]MacFly[/#005000]
[signature]
I am still learning..and loving the learning curve.. lol..

My first fly rod fish was a lmb on a popper and then the next day caught a good sized crappie on a popper as well.. since then have been on these boards reading lots, asking loads of questions (as several here can attest too.. lol).. and when I can I go out and practice what I have learned.. or at least try too anyway...

Better watch the saltwater stuff.. you have probably caught the eye of tubedude and tuben2 to say the least.. but both are great at answering questions and putting things into a perspective I can understand...

Good luck in all and keep posting for us....

MacFly
[signature]
[reply]
lol...do you ever sleep???

I had a suspicion it had someting to do with spey casting...since I have no experience with spey casting I will be your able student soaking information up like a big sponge.. [Wink]

now on the pistol pete could you not put a little weight on it or maybe use a sinking line to get it deeper and therefore closer to the fish and then be able to utilize its assets to your best advantage...???

MacFly [cool] [/reply]
[signature]