Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunday fishing report/ Murrells Inlet
First of all, i'd like to appologize for being so late posting this report. It's been a busy week and I didn't have much time thus far to do much posting. But, off to the report................

It was definately a nice day to be on the water. The wind was calm, the sun was out, and the sweat was pouring off my forehead for most of the day. I couldn't have asked for a better day for fishing, it's ashame no one told the fish. [Tongue]

We started out along the one mile bouy on a slow troll. I had two #00 clarks down on #1 planers, 1 4" umbrella rig off the starbord and a #01 Clark off the port w/ a 3/4 oz lead. We trolled for a good hour with no runs. I had called DR early that morning and he tried the creeks with the tide change, but I don't believe he had any luck either. From there, I move out to paradise reef and change up my rigs. I went to 3.5" drones. I had one on a #3 planer, one on a #1 planer, and I ran two on top. I made about 3 passes before I decided there wasn't anything going on. On my last pass, about 100 yards North of the reef bouy, I marked a nice piece of structure and decided to anchor on it and give the bottom fish a try. About that time, after playing phone tag, I got DR up on the VHF and he was on the way out to give it a try as well. The second I got anchored off the spanish started boiling on top of the water all around me. To my surprise, they would not bite. I know DR tried it for a while, and didn't stir anything up. I tossed clark spoons all around the boat on a lead rig, but nothing.

While I was screwing around with trying to snag a live bait for a balloon, a small cobia rolled up beside the boat. LOL, it's was so hilarious because I wasn't prepared for it and I was running around trying to get a lure rigged to toss at it. Right about then is when I wish I had a live blue crab on board. He made a couple passes and was gone. He dissapiered before I even had a chance to toss a lure at him. Talk about disappointed. That would have been dinner sunday night. [Wink] There aren't too many fish as good a eatting as a cobia.

We finally did start getting bit on the bottom, I even managed to snag a keeper seabass off the reef. LOL, not bad for this time of year and this reef. The chum started doing it's job as the fish were plentiful just below the boat. I quickly had live pinfish on 3 bottom lines and one balloon line. My son was able to land a nice 3' shark just before DR took off back to the jetties. I even got to flaunt it just before he took off. LOL!!!!![Tongue]

On the way back to the hill, I pointed the boat due West and headed to garden city pier, dragging a light spread of clark spoons. We wanted to enjoy the calm water and nice day. During our little joy ride, I managed to snag 3 small spanish in 20' of water, just infront of the pier. And that pretty much rounds out the day.

It really has been hard fishing the last few weeks. Things are really screwed up along the coast. The kings should've been inshore a week or two ago, the menhaden should have already begun their migration, it's just wacked. I'd like to hear some of your fishing reports!
[signature]
[Smile] Yeh I saw that GREAT WHITE you had and was a good thing you turn it loose before it got you! I did not do much that day but today was much better! Found the rite kind of bait off Murrells Inlet and started catching a few Big Reds.
Hooked a sting-ray for a while and got spooled two times! Fishing is about to pick up in Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach and I am ready for it! Been too long between good days of fishing and some GOOSE EGGS ! Well anyone coming to Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach area hope you have a grand time while here and if you need some info feel free to call me.
Capt Shannon[Dr] 843-450-1430
[signature]
We have had alot of strange weather....and such a mild winter.....Hopefully when I get there in about 15 days the fishing will be gouda!! Im [size 1]surprised[/size] the spanish [size 1]wouldn't[/size] take anything....A few years back I had alot of luck chunking gotchas @ them. What pound test were you using? I Know spanish have eyes like a eagle...My buddy who flyfishes for every critter in the ocean suggested nothing heavier than 12 lb test for the Macs. But he is not a local in the MI area so he may not know what he is talking about! Here a link to his homepage.....check out some of his Flyfishing adventures and pics [url "http://jeffcurrier.com/"]http://jeffcurrier.com/[/url]
Anyway hope you have better luck next trip.
Also what kinda boats do they rent @ Dicks? I will be pulling my Jon boat down....but dont plan on taking it out of the Inlet. Im going to be staying in a house on dolphin Dr. I will have a boat dock etc there
[signature]
You know, those gotcha plugs work quite well, and yes, LOL, I chunked a few of those as well. I have an entire section of my box devoted to casting lures only. I have a combo of Yo Zuri diving lures, Rapala X Raps, clark and krockidile spoons, and about a dozen different gotcha plugs from the green glow in the dark to the mini chrome with a red head. They just weren't into it. They actually show up quite often and are very pickey.

As far as pound test, that's not really the issue. The test of the leader is what really matters. With that said, I normally use 20lb fluorocarbon leader on all my casting rigs, unless i'm tossing a lure to something heavy like a cobia in which i'll use a heavier mono leader as they aren't too line shy. 20 lb clear mono really is just fine for spanish, as alot of anglers think Fluoro leader is "too high teck." LOL!!!!! You know who you are. [sly]

As for boat rentals, they have pontoon boats and small flat bottom skiffs. Both are just fine for sneaking out to one mile on a calm day. You don't need anything massive right out there. I've even seen bass trackers at 3.5 mile reef. Infact, there was 2 or 3 out there sunday. [cool]
[signature]
i made a quick trip to the coast this week. my wife's sister and her husband came to the beach for a week. they are from kentucky. he wanted to go piering. we went to apache pier because it was so close. wednesday night was little shark night. i think every shark on the coast came to visit. so i thought that today they would be gone. they were but so was everything else. a few small blues. 1 flounder that weighed in at 5lb 2oz. a blue was caught on a mackerel rig. that sucker had to be at least 4 or 5 lbs. saw several huge sheepshead but no one in that area sells the fiddlers and there were to chase down. oh well, we will try again.
[signature]
Thanks for the fishing report...Ive never really fished much with fiddler crabs. This may sound stupid....but when you bait up with a fiddler are they still alive?? Do they die when ya hook them? If so...With the price going up so high on these baits..I was just thinking of a possible option to the live crabs. Buy a few fiddler crab flies..Then go and catch a small blue crab...kill it and put it in a box with your fiddler crab flies and let it sit in there for a few hours to get some crab scent. Then just fish the fiddler fly patterns just like you would with a real fiddler crab. I know alot of ppl do this with shrimp flies. This may not work...but it might be worth a try!
Good Luck
SC_flyGuy
[signature]
flyguy,
the fiddlers are still alive when you put them on the hook. pull the big pincher off and run the hook through the side til the tip of the hook barely shows through. well, that's the way i do it. perry's bait shop in murrell's inlet still sells them for $5 per cup. i bought some from him the weekend of the 19th. they were big and dark blue. just plain ole good fiddlers. call a couple of days ahead to see if he has any. if not, he told me he would try to get some. he catches his own instead of getting them from florida. don't know bout the plastic ones. seen them, never used them. my brother-in-law is a distributor of fishing supplies to wal-mart and other stores in the kentucky area. he brought me a pack of bloodworms that are non-plastic. they are made from fish food and are protein based. bio-degradeable too. checkout their site at "foodsource lures". they have all kinds of freshwater and saltwater supplies
[signature]
Barnacles are also very effective for sheepshead, however, make it a little more difficult to hook them. We use to get barnacles by tieing a rope to a five gallon buck and lowering it down and doing our best to get it wraped around a pilon full of them. Once you get it wraped around a couple times give it a few strong jerks to scrape the barnacles off the pilon into the bucket. Sheepshead will also hit small live shrimp if they are availible in the bait stores, but they aren't quite as effective as crabs or barnacles.

As for your fly idea, i'm quite sure that wouldn't work too well. Sheepshead feed in a unique way. They actually suspend and chew up thier food, much like a goat would. LOL! If nothing else, the fly would be trashed probably after a single bite. There's no casting, it's just keeping your line still by the pilon waiting for one of them to give your line a gentle peck. It takes a rod with alot of back bone and a stiff line to land one of these torquey little fish. But, I wouldn't shun someone for trying. It's possible it may work quite well. It would be interesting to see. [cool]
[signature]
That's a huge flounder Ron! Tell me you caught that one! [Smile] Atleast you got out on the water anyway, even if you didn't catch anything. My sons fishing tournament is at dargans pond tomorrow, you should swing by and see how it is. [cool] I'll have a cold Pepsi Cola waiting on you. If you've got any grand kids or what have you that you can bring out, come on over. They furnish all the equipment. I'll even share my secret bait with you. [Wink] I'll be there at 8am.

Glad to hear from you again. I was waiting for Jimmy to post a freshwater fishing report for us. I know he had to of been catfishing again by now. [cool]

I know at low tide, the water goes WAY out off of Apache pier. It shouldn't be hard to scrape barnacles off the pilons by hand off that pier. I bet you didn't even think about it. LOL Most people don't. Alot of sheepshead anglers I know don't like fooling with barnacles, but when nothing else is around, something is better than nothing. [Wink]

Thanks for jumping back in there Ron. You heading back towards the beach this month? I know the Flyguy will be down in a couple weeks. I'm going to try and arrange to be there atleast for one day.
[signature]

[signature]
no, wasn't me with that big flounder. maybe i can get my brother-in-law to e-mail the pic he took and i will try to post. yeah, jimmy and i are talking bout another trip to mbsp in june. he may make a short trip to ohio after school is out. will let you know
[signature]