Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youth Fishing Events
Youth fishing events scheduled around S.C.
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources will host a (PDF required) [url "http://www.screelkids.com/rodeos.pdf"]series of youth fishing events[/url] around the state in May and June. Check individual events as age requirements for sites vary.

Accompanied by an adult, all youth can enjoy a day of fishing at a South Carolina water body. All sites are also barrier-free. Refreshments will be provided, and children will be awarded prizes at the event. There will be educational opportunities for families to learn more about fish and fishing in the Palmetto State.

The goal of DNR’s SC Reel Kids program is to help children learn about and enjoy their natural[url "http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/Yr2007/april30/april30_youth_pic.html"][Image: april30_youth2.jpg][/url] environment. As an SC Reel Kid, children will do more than just go fishing. They will work toward goals like catching their first fish, learning about fish and improving fish habitats. Each child will receive a reward for each goal completed. SC Reel Kids is a free program for parents and children or families.

The state Department of Natural Resources’ [url "http://www.screelkids.com/"]SC Reel Kids[/url] aquatic education program is supported with federal Sportfish Restoration Funds, which returns money to state natural resources agencies from excise taxes on fishing equipment for conservation projects and habitat protection and restoration.

Youth fishing events scheduled around South Carolina include: [ul] [li]Barnwell County - May 5 - 8:00 a.m.-Noon - Barnwell Fish Hatchery - call 803-259-7446

[li]Darlington County - June 2 - 9:00 a.m. - Dargan's Pond Fishing Rodeo - call 843-661-4766

[li]Edgefield - May 12 - 9am-Noon - Jimmy Shay Youth Fishing Rodeo Lick Fork Lake - call 864-654-1671 ext 18

[li]Goose Creek - May 5 - 9:00 a.m. - Goose Creek Police Department - call 843-953-9307

[li]Greer - June 16 - 9am-Noon - The Greenville Youth Fishing Rodeo Cannon Lake - call 864-654-1671 ext 18

[li]Kershaw County - May 19 - 6:00 a.m. - Lake Wateree Fishing Rodeo – call 843-661-4766

[li]Lancaster County - May 19 - 8:00 a.m. - Sunrise Lake Fishing Rodeo - call 843-661-4766

[li]Ninety-Six - May 5 - 9am-Noon - Star Fort Youth Fishing Rodeo - call 864-654-1671 ext 18

[li]Salem -May 19 9am-Noon The Oconee County Youth Fishing Rodeo - The Piedmont Forestry Education Center - call 864-654-1671 ext 18

[li]Union - May 19 - 9am-Noon - The Union County Youth Fishing Rodeo the Veteran’s
Park - call 864-654-1671 ext 18

[li]West Columbia - June 2 - 9:00 a.m. - Styx Pond – Fish Hatchery Road - call 803-734-4303

[li]York County – May 12 - 8:00 a.m. - Draper WMA Fishing Rodeo - call 843-661-4766 [/li][/ul]
[signature]
This Saturday is the Dargans Pond fishing rodeo. My son entered this contest last year and won in the total weight catagory and missed largest fish by a single ounce. This is a really great contest and a great way to introduce your children into the world of competition fishing.

This particular contest is cane pole only for channel catfish. It's a blast as you can bring your own cane pole and bait. They will furnish you with equipment and bait if you don't have your own. The contest is totally free and you leave with alot of great prizes. I hope to see you guys out there.

Thanks to Bubbashotrods.com for making my son a custom cane pole for this event. I'll post pictures when I get it in this week. It's really sweet looking. Thanks Brian!!!
[signature]