Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rampart Reservoir
A friend and I fished Rampart last week and had some good success. We were using tube jigs tipped with sucker meat, and caught a few nice mac's. Nothing jaw-dropping, but my buddy did latch into one that snapped his 12 lb. test line. There are definitely some big lakers in here, its just locating them that is difficult. We fish here quite a bit, and now is a great time to check it out. This place typically goes dead after the middle of June until fall, with anything that is not a stocker proves difficult to catch. The lakers are still pretty shallow, with most of our catch coming from 25-35 feet of water. Check it out..enjoy it! Good Times-
[signature]
That's interesting. Lakers are a passion of mine and I've been wondering about Rampart. I don't know anyone who targets it regularly. Do you get some big fish (20+ lb) there??
[signature]
Yeah...Its the kind of lake I think alot of people overlook. I have yet to see anything 20+ come out of there this year, but last fall we encountered 9 Mac's in one day, and the smallest was 5 lbs. The largest was 14.7. I have seen pictures of some 20+ in the past. I think that the lake itself is very difficult to fish. There are lots of little deep spots and "mesa's". And if you arent exactly in the right place, you will never even know they are there. Seeing as it is actually fished for Mac's very seldom, they dont encounter much pressure, or for that matter, much press. Give it a good days' try, and Im sure you will be impressed. They do permit belly boats, and its actually quite pleasant because there are not a ton of boats on the lake. Try some of the bigger coves on the north shoreline. Also about the middle of the lake on the southside. You will see a huge cove. Go float in the mouth of that bay. Its really deep in there with some shallows real close by. Usually if they are not in the shallows( Shallows for a Mac that is....-25-35 feet) Then thet are right there in the deeper part. A fishfinder would be the best bet for you to locate the goegraphics, but you will know it when you see it. If you ever go check it out and want a fishin partner for the day, let me know.-Good Times..
[signature]
Thanks! I really appreciate the information.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, I have never heard of the reservoir untill your report. I will look up the reservoir and read about it since I don't even know where it's at, Thanks again.
[signature]