Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New
Hey guys and girls my name is Ben im 19 an live in southeastern ct. I am a avid fisherman looking to get some ideas maybe take a trip or to out on a lake with some members. For right now im a shore fisherman looking for a small boat during the summer if i can save any money. I fish mainly for bass, but without a boat it is sometimes hard, so i have began my fishing on trout throughout some rivers close to me. I live near a couple rivers and lakes you mite know. Lake Moeghan in Fairfield, Lake forest in Bridgeport, lake zoar an a couple small ponds in Trumbull. Looks like this site is pretty informative just looking to make some friends to go fishing with sometime. [Smile]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT Ben. Glad to see another CT guy on the board. If you PM me your address I'll send along some stickers for ya. I fish mostly Middlesex and New London counties myself. I'll see if we can't get a BFT get together before the summers out.
[signature]
welcome ben.i am up in the quiet corner, mainly fish the salt,and in rhoad island for trout,look forward for your reports
[signature]
Welcome aboard Ben. We are always glad to have new members here.

What type of fishing do you do?? Bass, Cats, Trout, Panfish, Pike, Musky??? It's all good.[cool]
[signature]
i do bass, just started into trout, walleye, my goal this summer is to catch a northern pike. I also do some bay fishing down in florida. I fish for anything but i would say im very good at bass and decent at the others. Any type is great for me [Smile] OO and im trying to catch a legend cat fish in my local lake. supposed to be somewhere around 25lbs no luck ill have to get some ideas
[signature]
Do you know what species of Catfish it is???

Blue Cats and Channel Cats like the Stinky stuff and night crawlers.

Flatheads like the live stuff to chase around a bit.[cool]

Mud Cats and Bullheads can be done in on Velveeta Cheese but they won't get over 2 to 3lbs at the very most.
[signature]
Steve made some good points. Do you know the species of catfish? Depending on the species of catfish and the layout of the lake, will decide what tactics you need to be successful. Catfishing is one of my specialties, though I haven't had much of a chance to go this season. [Sad]

Let us know what species of catfish you think it might be, and give us a brief description of the layout of the lake, and I bet we can get you on the right track.

I also wonder, how do you know that catfish is still in there and hasn't been caught? LOL [Wink]
[signature]
no clue what kind of cat it is. The lake is a old reservoir, about 35 acres. deepest part is 22ft. Has a small dam with a gate to let water out when they drain it down in the winter. Um the lake has bass panfish northern catfish and sunnys. O and no one fishes it but my cousin and I because you have to be a member to fish an now one wants to pay. Also an electric motor only lake. I do have a depth finder and can look for drop offs
[signature]
I did a little research, and it seems that what you have in your favorite fishing hole is a channel cat. CT has 4 major species of catfish in it's lakes and rivers, 3 of which are a gener of the bullhead. The channel cat is the only species capable of reaching the proportions you speak of. And since blues and flatheads aren't native to your state, that's the only option.

With that said, catfish are one of my specialties. (even though I don't get to go as often as I use to) Channel cats like deep holes and lots of structure. Anywhere you can find both in one spot is a good place to start. I've used every bait from ivory soap to slabs of fresh mullet and shrimp. Chicken liver always seems to bring home the bacon, if you know what I mean. I use a carolina rig w/ a 5/0 kahle or circle hook. In a lake, you won't need much of a egg sinker since there isn't any current. Drift fishing is also another effective way to locate fish in a large body of water. This is a widely used technique along the Santee Cooper river systems here in SC for monster blues and flatheads. There is a trick in the rigging though.

[Image: 3way.gif]

OK, this isn't the exact rig, but it's similar. I couldnt find a picture of the rig I was talking about. Anyhoo, on the "bait line" portion of the illustrated rig, you'll tie on your hook w/ bait of preference. Considering you're not using live bait, I would also suggest you add a small float to the "bait line" in order to keep your hook from grabbing the snags.

Next, make sure the "sinker line" is a lighter pound test than the rest of the rig. The reason for this is if you do get snagged, instead of loosing the entire rig, you'll only loose the weight. Next, instead of a regular weight, you need a slinky weight. LOL, I know that sound funny, but they are real. Alot of anglers make them using shoe laces and bb's. You just snip the end of a shoe lace and fill it w/ bb's until it reaches your target weight. In your case, you wouldn't need much weight, so you could be pretty creative. The idea is to use something that won't snag the bottom.

Once you begin getting hits, you're there. Channel catfish are a schooling species, so where there's one, there's more. Use the drifting technique to locate the fish. Once found, anchor off and start using large portions of bait to attract your trophy catch. Big bait, big fish. I can almost gaurentee there isn't just one large catfish in there. 25 lb's is a trophy channel, but i'm sure there are plenty 10-12 pounders in there too. The world record is in the 60 pound mark caught here in SC. But, the average fish is only around 4 or 5 pounds. anything over 20 is definately a notable catch. [cool]

Good luck on your adventure. Make sure and tell us how the trophy hunt goes. (don't forget to take a picture!)

P.S. I'd start at the dam. [Wink]
[signature]
thanks for the info.. im gonna try to get out at the lake this weekend. For now im trout fishing all week. I work evenings during the week so i fish almost every morning. should be well
[signature]
Our state will be stocking for the first time, Channel cats. It should open up a new adventure for us here in Ct.
[signature]
Man, that's some really great news. Channel cats are one of the slower growing species, but their reproductive rate is one of the highest. Not to mention they eat all the crap that other species don't, so they should help keep the waters a little more clean. I have a book at home that's recently published that's loaded with info about catfish. I wish I could post the entire book online. Good news greg. [Smile]
[signature]
welcome to the club, my family keeps the boat down in fairfield and i fish on it at least 40 times a year i live in west hartford so my fishing usually ranges in and around the hartford area, with some planning for cow pond trips this summer, ive been wondering if there are any good ponds down in fairfield because im down there alot
[signature]