Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What fish fights the hardest?
What fish fights the hardest?
[signature]
pound for pound Blue Gill is the most fightenest fish there is.[cool]
[signature]
Pound for pound, when it comes to salt water species it has got to be a ribbonfish. The first one I ever tangled with spooled my reel. My drag was set at 12lb on 16lb line. After tightening the drag I did finaly land that mouth full of teeth. It weighed less than 1lb! Now that is a fighting fish!
[signature]
The fish that fought the hardest for me was a king salmon
[signature]
[Smile] Salmon for me too ! Muskie a close 2 nd !

Flagmanonice-----------------
[signature]
I have to agree that the longest fight I was ever in was a 30 lb chinook salmon. took every bit 40 minutes to wear out,

but I had a 2.5 lb blue gill that took 5 minuts to land

the salmon was a pound 1.5 ounces per minute reel in rate.

the blue gill was around a 1/4 pound per minute reel in rate.
[signature]
Mrs. Pauls , you ever tried to get one of thoes protective wraps off without useing a knife ? a man could starve to death first ![crazy]

really though , steelhead on the spawn run ( haven't tried the salmon yet ) a good size fish on 6 lb. test in the swift current , what a rush !
[signature]
when I landed that chinook I was at the base of the foote dam 40 pound test line 30 pound rod 15 minutes after the siren had sounded. you want to talk about running water, weeeeeeooooo man you dont want to be standing with in ear shot in that river when the siren goes off there. not unless you want to be snagged up by unknown anglers down river some time later.
[signature]
i haven't herd the horn yet , nor had a chance at the salmon , but farmer tim is gonna give me the low-down there this fall .

why do i feel like i'm gonna be the guy that gets chuckeled at ? is a skinny guy like me gonna need a saftey harness or something ?
[signature]
This guy gave me the most trouble. Just due to circumstances, not species. 8lb. test and an 8" hole. Loosen the drag and hold on!!! After about 25 minutes his head stuck in the hole. My buddy slid his neoprene gloves down the side of the fish and got under one gill to pull him out.

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/CURT6897/PageAlbumCurtisfishPageNumber2Pic18Fullview.htm"][Image: CURT6897CustomImage026584.jpg][/url]
17.5lbs. 34" Lake Trout. Fish Lake, Utah

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/CURT6897/PageAlbumCurtisfishPageNumber2Pic15Fullview.htm"][Image: CURT6897CustomImage0251042.jpg][/url]
Closer view.
[signature]
nice fish ! did he get mounted or grilled ?
[signature]
Anything under 30lbs is not considered a trophy here in UT. He was Grilled, Baked, Broiled, and Casseroled! That was a lot of meat. I'll never eat another Lake Trout that size again. The meat was worse than handling regular ground beef as far as the fat content. Secondly, I found out that an 18lb. Mackinaw from Fish Lake is probably 25 years old or more. And third, If he was still there, he'd weigh 20.

Where Flaming Gorge still has an O.K. population of bigger fish, if I tag one over 30lbs. I might have it mounted. There's a place in St. George, UT that does really nice custom plastic mounts from pictures though. Something to think about. Those pics from quetepuni in the Utah board releasing a 31lb. fish look mighty fun. In case you missed it...

[size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=35092;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread "]The Gorge [/url][/size]
[signature]
THANK'S FOR PUTTING UP THAT LINK ! I WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE FISH , BUT MORE WITH HOW THE BOARD MEMBERS WERE EAGER TO HELP IN THE NEXT STUDY ! WAY TO GO ! THATS THE TRUE MARK OF SPORTSMANSHIP !

THANK YOU , THAT WAS GREAT !
[signature]
I thought you would enjoy that post.

I have been amazed at the response that Widlife Services, the schools, and the local groups get when the call goes out for help. More often than not, I find out about a project, call the same day, and they turn me away because they have had so many calls already.

I tried to be a part of the cleaning station that Rocky Mountain Anglers built at Yuba, they had over 20 people already.

The USU netting to reduce the number of small Walleye and food study at Starvation went on for weeks, two years in a row, and had more help than they needed.

Every year for at least the last 4 years they have done numerous Channel Cat and Pike reduction 3-5 day trips down the Yampa River in Colorado. They pay, you net, trap, and fish. If you don't have a seat the year before, you're not going.

Not too bad for a bunch of hicks from the sticks. I agree that it is very good to see that amount of interest in preserving fishing for future generations.
[signature]
Fresh from the ocean sockeye salmon in the Kenai River.
[signature]
hew there tbear hows it going ! i haven't had a chance at the salmon yet , they come during hunting season and thats always a rough choise for me ! fish or hunt , hunt or fish ? the hunting always wins ! so this year i'm giving the fishing a sporting chance . how do you rig for them ?

i'm new at it so any info would be appreatiated , thanks , lonehunter

oh yea , welcome to the boards my friend !
[signature]
Hey LH -

Sockeyes on the Kenai R. (Alaska) - how do you fish for them? It's kind of different. The fish migrate up the Kenai very close to the banks where the current is not as strong in the middle of the river (the main channel current on the Kenai is about 5-6 mph). So, you fish for them within 10-15' of the bank.

You get a pretty stout casting rod, about 7' long and put on a 1/2 to 3/4 oz rubbercore sinker on your mainline. About 18" below the sinker tie on a pretty fair size bucktail streamer fly (red back with white belly is popular).

Then you strip out about 10 feet of line and "flip" the fly/weight combo upstream and do very quick, short drifts right in front of you. No casting involved. You need to feel the sinker tapping the bottom or you are wasting time. In June on the Kenai you will see hundreds of people fishing this way since sockeyes are such a popular salmon for the table. Hope this helps.
[signature]
thanks Tbear , this is a big help ! I have never done it , so this fall will be my first time . i am looking forward to it ! i'm sure to be a little green at it , but you can bet i'm going to give it my all !

do you do any other target fishing other than the sockeye ?
[signature]
This method is called "flossing" as you are really using the fly to be just off the bottom, the weight on the bottom and hope the line between the two goes into the fish's mouth as it is taking in water to breathe and as you pull the line slides through the mouth and the fly catches it in the corner of the mouth (hence the name "flossing.") This is a debated method of fishing as they are not "hitting" it and you are not really inducing them to hit...it is a technique that requires a sensitive rod and persistance moreso than true "ability" according to those that oppose it. Some places it is very typical practice while many guides are trying to get people to stop doing it - but it is highly effective so why would anyone wanna stop...exactly the reason it is hard to get people to quit doing it.
You would not think trout fight that hard, but try catching one out of a mountain white water stream in Italy!
Hardest fighter in the UK is probably the barbel, my carp rod was bent to the butt playing one of those.
[signature]