Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marine Band Radio Reccomendations
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]I'm looking for a Marine Band radio for my boat and am looking for some recommendations on what brand and options that I should be looking for with todays technology. Also what is the best antenna would also be recommended.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3] [/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Thanks in advance.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Hey Braz,

I just installed a new lowrance in my boat. 100 bucks. Then installed a 8' Fiberglass antanna. I want to be able to get out when I need it to. The gorge and Powell, The canyons and distance make the 8 footer a must. Would not recommend anything shorter. Has worked great this far.

RILEY
[signature]
I bought the Uniden Oceanus last year. Online price is better than the store shelf, but I like to touch and feel things before I buy them, so I paid $140 at Cabelas for it. So far so good. I put it in my 24' Four Winns. I've bought cheap (read: $59, $69, etc.) radios before, and they last about a year before something falls apart, or the the knobs and dials don't work. Don't cheap out here. The last readio I had (Apelco) lasted me 9 years, and 3 boats! I finally let it go with the last boat (Malibu Wakesetter) as I figured it was time to get a new one. It was $350 back in the day. With technology nowdays, you can't pay more than about $200 anywhere, unless you get one that you can talk to the space shuttle with.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Icom makes a nice radio. also used with a digital antena you can shorten your antena height so there will be less of it to interfere with your casting and low bridges when you forget to put the big ones down. As well as you will cover way more area with the digital and get a crisp reception (NO STATIC). They also have a feature that is life saving if ever needed. The Distress button. When you register the unit with the Coast guard you can hook it to a gps unit, hit the button and you know where to be found. They run for about 200.00 and up. I can find out from a friend of mine where he gets them. gets older models new for super cheep.
[signature]
I know this post is a couple years old. Is anyone still monitoring it? If so, has anything changed in the technology? Does anyone have a recomendation on what to buy now? Does everyone pretty much install their own or is there somewhere around here that installs them?
[signature]
I just bought a lowrance marine band radio and will be interfacing it with my lowrance fishfinder shortly. I'm sure any boat shop would love to take your money to install one but i think most people install them themself. its not rocket science
[signature]
I also bought a new lowrance, I bought a lms 522c igps. Which lowrance radio did you buy? I like the distress/location button idea. Robertsons wanted $200.00's to install, I almost choked when they told me that. I told him that killed the deal. I'd pay $50.00's on top of buying something from them to begin with but now I'm going to find it on the web or look for information from people like you as to where and what you bought. How much did it cost? What all do you need to install other then the radio and antenna? Do I need any other mounting hardware?

Thanks for any and all help.
[signature]