Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue gills
hey every one

i am now up to my neck in blue gills, i am even dreaming about catching a monster. if any one has any information on how to catch them and where to go please tell me.
[signature]
I usually use almost any type of spinner. you could also use worms, floating them on the top. I have good luck using spinners more than worms. I usually go to Pelican Lake to catch blue gill. I'd think it would need to a little warmer for the blue gill to really start biting.
[signature]
ok thanx
[signature]
i haven't fished pelican lake for a few years but the last time i was there i caught some big bluegills the biggest was 11" long what a dandy fish. i also caught a lot of large mouthbass and the biggest was 15" it was the biggest large mouthbass i have caught out of any lake in utah so far but there is always next time.
[signature]
My favorite bluegill lakes would have to be Utah Lake and Mantua. The state record came out of Mantua, i usually use poppers or small jigs and spinners at Mantua. At Utah Lake you can usually catch bluegills at any of the Marinas and Lincoln Beach, at the boat ramp or the springs. I use small jigs under a bobber tiped with some kind of bait to get their attention.
[signature]
If you are ever coming near the ogden area, let me know. There are a couple of old ponds around here that are quite good for bluegill.
[signature]
Fishboy,

I live in Vernal and fish Pelican a lot for gills. Wait until late april and plan a trip. Bring small jigs ( 1/16 to 1/32) in bright colors. Bring worms if you prefer. Dry and wet flies can also be very productive in the spring. Gills over a pound have been common lately, with some going over 1 1/2 lbs. Average bluegill have been 1/2 to 3/4 lb. You will nail a lot of small to medium size bass also. If you don't have a boat, you can wade early in the year or fish off the new gabion near the ramp. If you wade, bring waders because there is swimmers itch. Mid summer to fall you will need a boat. Good Luck

Kayote
[signature]
[Smile]Yo Chef where are some of the ponds with bluegill in the ogden area? I live In Roy and the only pond I know of is steed pond in clinton and they put up a no tresspassing sign last summer.[unsure]
[signature]
i float, and i have been told to never go out without waders before. thanks now i am going to have to diffenatley go out to pelican.
[signature]