Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pro-troll hot chip flasher
I have used the 8" version of this flasher with great success. I want to know if any one has tried the 4" version. It seems like it would be great for Kokanee. I want to know it if spins in a tighter circle than the 8". I bought 2 of them a while ago and have yet to run them. Any input would help.
[signature]
I've never run flashers for kokanee... only dodgers. I'm sure you know from my previous posts that I'm partial to Rocky Mountain Tackle for my kokanee dodgers, but let us know how the pro-trolls work out for ya!

As far as the e-chip thing... I've seen zero evidence that the e-chip does anything! But, maybe I'm just a skeptic!
[signature]
Kidder, The mini flashers worked great. They spin nice and slow , and really work the squid. I was worried about line twist, which you get with the 8" flashers, but no problem. I think they would great for Kokes. As for the E-chip, I dont think it does anything. We tried one of the pro-troll Kokanee Killer lures and could not get it run right. We trolled about 2mph. I really like the "flatfish" lure they make, I think it's called a stingfish? It's got a great wobble, a strong rattle, nice colors. But I have not caught one Mac on them !! I think Bechold makes a mini-flasher now also. If I ever get back down to the Gorge I will let you know if they work.
[signature]
After reading your report on the Wyoming board I may have to pick up a couple of the 4 inchers. Where did you find them? I don't care for the 8's because of the drag, but a 4 inch sounds cool.

The kokanee killer lures never run right! I hate those dang things. Apexes on the other had are awesome. They are the same thing basically but they have a great action for kokanee. I've had nothing but trouble with pro trolls version of the Apex. I think Hot Spot makes Apexes... so, check them out sometime.

Thanks a lot for your review of the flashers. Like I said, I'll be picking a few up to try out real soon!

Talk to you later, kidder
[signature]
Cabelas is the only place I have found them but if you go to Pro-troll's web site they have dealers.
[signature]
Thanks a lot, I'll check it out. I need to make an online order from cabelas anyways. I'll let you know how I do with them.
[signature]
Interesting stuff here. The only flasher I run (If and when I run 'em)is a 6" Action Flasher by Shure Hit.. I like the idea of the smaller 4".
[signature]
Yeah, I've never run a 4" flasher either. I'm curious how they will compare to the 4" dodgers that I use for kokanee salmon. I should have a couple in a week or so, so I'll post up my results!
[signature]
Just an update to let you know i have had excellent results with the double dees flasher--great little item that has very little resistance with two different blades and they spin different directions. I'm going to try them on salmon in a couple of weeks-i already use the single larger flasher for salmon and deep trolling--good fishing--><)))*>
[signature]
We fished san fran ca salmon with the e chip and statiscally did better than the flashers without it. Have not noticed any difference using it for kokanee. Hard to tell if it may make a difference for them. Need some more investigational research.
[signature]
Thats really interesting that you've noticed a difference with the echip versus without. Yours is the first report I've ever read (at least that I trust!) that it has made a difference. Maybe I'll have to get a few of my old echip lures out and give them another shot!
[signature]
Brett, for a more detailed statistical report, you may talk to Barry Canevaro with fish hookers charters ([url "http://www.fishhookers.com/"]www.fishhookers.com[/url]) out of the san fran area. He could tell you what his results are for many days on the water, I can only speak for 3 days fishing for kings outside the golden gate bridge. ( great trip by the way if youve never done it ) Those ocean fish may be more in tune with a dying or wounded baitfish's electrical signal. Then again it could have been color, action, or whatever that gave those rigs the edge. Figure out the electrical impulse made by plankton and you may have something for the kokanee. I have tried the echip for the macks at the gorge but have had no difference and have actually done better without them. However I did catch a 23lb mack using a big protroll flasher with an echip trailing a 7 inch tube squid 3 ft behind it. Go figure. Interesting stuff, too bad we cant be the guys to go do all the research on this stuff and figure it all out. Dont know if Ill get back to the gorge before the kokes close. Anyway keep the lines tight. I included one of the kings caught on the pro troll flasher, it went about 25 lbs. Fun trip!!
[signature]