Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drift Sock Question?????
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Well I finally ended up with a set of downriggers, due to a barter with bkidder!!! Anyway I am know one step closer to going for the kokes, but my next problem is I don't have a kicker on my boat. My main motor is a Yamaha F115 Fourstroke and with the pitch of prop that I like for it, it will cruise at slow speeds between 2 and 2.8 MPH according to the GPS and wind directions. Even though this will catch fish some days, it might be to fast on others. [/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]So my question is has anyone ever used a drift sock to help control speeds. I think it would work just fine but it is just a thought. My wife won't let me buy a kicker until after hunting season so that is out. Also I absolutely will not put a trolling plate on my motor I have been there done that and hate the concept. They cause to many problems with cavitation and I always forget to lift them before I take off and bend the crap out of things.LOL If anyone has ever tried this let me know becuase I think I will be giving it a try.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Oh ya I also would like to say I appreciate all the help and advice I have received from all you Utah guys. You have a good bunch of guys here on BFT and I enjoy chatting with you guys. Hopefully someday I can actually get a chance to fish with a few of ya someday.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Thanks in advance!![/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
I have one and on windy days use it and it helps to slow the boat down, if you get one get one that is for the next size bigger boat then you have and it should slow you to 1.5 to 1.8 Im guessing....
[signature]
I have one that I would probably like to sell. I thought that I would use it often, but for my type of fishing I usually prefer to drift faster.
[signature]
Drift socks work, but you have to use them one of two ways. The first is to drag it right behind the boat dead center. Otherwise the boat will want to turn to the side it is attached to. Also, using one out the back can get in the way of your trolling, motor, etc. The second way is to use two and put one on each side so it "inflates" somewhere ahead of the transom. I use this with good results. Right now Cabela's has their drift socks on sale. Mr. J.
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]I planned on using two of them with one on each side of the boat, tied to the front so they would inflate ahead of the transom. I guess I should have said that earlier, sorry. Have you ever tried using some type of planer board to get it out away from the side of the boat or do you just let it ride up against it? And what size of sock are you using? I have a 18.5' Crestliner. The Cabelas drift socks must only be on sale at the store in Lehi bacause I did not see them for sell online.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Thanks[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Braz,
Here is an old Lake Erie trick for slowing the boat down.

Take 2 five gallon buckets, remove the handles, replace with rope. Tie them off to your cleats and throw them overboard. Should knock your speed down by 1/2 - 3/4 MPH. Try to get them as far back as you can without interfering with the fishing. It works well and is basically free.

IFG
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Great Idea, I'll give it a try I few a few spare buckets sitting around right now. I appreciate the info.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
As I was reading this post I wanted to reply with the bucket method, I had a big 23 foot cudy with a 350 chev in it, all I used were the poor man rig (2) 5 gallon buckets, like the last post I removed the handles and put a 3 or 4 foot rope handle through them and tied them to the back of the boat, perfect 1.4 to 1.7 mph(oops my secret koke speed is out[shocked]) you can adjust your average speed by putting holes in the buckets to let a little water through I would begin with one bucket and ajust as necessary. worked for me and it was cheap I had rope and buckets at the house wanting to be used for something.
[signature]
One thing to remember about tying off to the front of your boat is to make sure you tie short enough to not get in the way of your downriggers, or anything else off the side of your boat.
[signature]
Back in my trolling days (and maybe in the future if these macks don't start eating jigs again!), I too used two buckets. Works like a charm.
[signature]
The buckets are nice, but they take up space. A drift sock collapses to almost nothing. I used to hook mine to a ski harness and that allows it to remain dead-center in the back of the boat. I only use a 10' rope on it so its not too far back and doesn't interfere with the motor or anything else. I went to a trolling plate and will NEVER go back to the sock or buckets again. The trolling plate I have automatically kicks up when you throttle up so no worry about bending it. It locks in place (in the "up" position" and you only have to yank a small cable to get to to go "down". The plate actually works like a stablizer when in the up position (i.e. hydrofoil, whale tale, etc) and makes my boat run smoother in rough water, etc. I have never had any cavitation problems with it.
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]What brand of plate are you running, if you don't mind me asking? Because cavitation is one my biggest reasons for not wanting to go with a trolling plate. But if you are not having any issues I might consider that brand. Also what type of drive do you have it mounted on? I have an outboard and in my experiences there is a difference between running trolling plated on outboards vs. I/O drives, just my opinion.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Thanks[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
I use the "troll-a-matic" plate. You can go to the Cabela's website and look it up. When you are on the page with the trollamatic, just click on the "reviews" and you can read for yourself what others had to say about it. Nothing but good reviews. I really like that it doesn't lock "down" so you never have to worry about pick it up when you high-tail back to the boat ramp at the end of the day.
[signature]