Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
banjo minnow
I got rained out at work today so i was watching the outdoor channel and saw the infomercial for the banjo minnow. was curious if anyone has ever tried it and if it is as great as they say on t.v.
[signature]
My brother purchased a set of those and I have never caught a fish on the banjo minnow. After long thought I reached the conclusion that they are good at catching suckers, the ones that pay for them.

RF
[signature]
[black][size 3]Don't be silly, minnows can't play banjos.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Actually, the add for them looks real good, and I could believe that they work.[/size]
[signature]
I have used them in that past. I have caught fish with them as well. They don't catch fish like the infomercials tell you though.
[signature]
I think they are like the Fishing Rocket Pole. My wife bought my son one for x-mas and it sits on the rod arack in the garage broken and fishless. I was not able to get it to cast more than 15' even changing the line to 4#. A waste of $40.
I saw an ad in a fishing mag at work last weekend that advertised a "space age lure design" that actually outfished live bait in a bass tourney 14-1. $24 for one of these. Great advertising on their part. Too bad it wasn't true.[Sad]
[signature]
I used them very successfully sight fishing for spawning bass. The males would gobble 'em up quick and the wary females would nail them if they were too close to the nest too. But I hate to bother those females...

Useful as any if fished correctly. The main factor in their success is their action but this action can be repoduced with any soft plastic and right rigging.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Think about it. Why do they have to spend so much money advertising if those lures work so well? To catch fishermen...not fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most really good lures I have known over the years are tough to find in stock all the time because word of mouth from fishermen keeps them sold out. If a lure works, you don't need to advertise. Other fishermen tell the story better than some slick actors that don't even know how to hold a fishing rod right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another way of looking at it is that if you ever caught fish on some of those things, you should also try fishing with other lures under the same conditions. I am impressed only if a specific lure catches more and bigger fish than ANY other lure under a specific set of circumstances.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good fishermen could make the Banjo minnows work, simply because they know where to fish and how to present and work the lures. A dimbulb angler, who couldn't catch fish on live bait, would have a tough time scoring with an unknown piece of plastic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have always maintained that a good fisherman can catch fish with the WRONG lure...whereas a poor fisherman often can't catch fish even with the RIGHT lure.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Speaking of that; What ever happened to the Producer Lure Co....I have a couple of Willard Bay killer lures left, but I can't seem to find anymore, and I think they are out of business....Anyone know anything about that, or if any other company picked up on them.
[signature]
What do you mean they only catch fisherman I got 10 kits so I won't run out they are the best thing sense (white bread) that is all every one should use to fish with all the time just ask them.....[sly][crazy][Wink]

[signature]
[reply]
[cool][#0000ff]Think about it. Why do they have to spend so much money advertising if those lures work so well? To catch fishermen...not fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most really good lures I have known over the years are tough to find in stock all the time because word of mouth from fishermen keeps them sold out. If a lure works, you don't need to advertise. Other fishermen tell the story better than some slick actors that don't even know how to hold a fishing rod right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another way of looking at it is that if you ever caught fish on some of those things, you should also try fishing with other lures under the same conditions. I am impressed only if a specific lure catches more and bigger fish than ANY other lure under a specific set of circumstances.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good fishermen could make the Banjo minnows work, simply because they know where to fish and how to present and work the lures. A dimbulb angler, who couldn't catch fish on live bait, would have a tough time scoring with an unknown piece of plastic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have always maintained that a good fisherman can catch fish with the WRONG lure...whereas a poor fisherman often can't catch fish even with the RIGHT lure.[/#0000ff] [/reply]
And there you have it! The "hot" lure is the one with its pegs empty in the store. The "hot" fly is the one that's supposed to be in the empty bin at the fly shop. The "hot" item is the one that's always backordered. Banjos are just another soft plastic bait, and nothing more, except the rediculous price.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Producers are no longer being produced. They are now extinct, just like the old Thin Fin lures. I know a lot of walleye fans that would pay dearly for a dozen of their favorite Thin Fins...and plenty of Wiper fans that would die if they lost their last favorite Producers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nope. Cain't figger it. The good die young and good lures don't last as long as worthless ones.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]So...you're the guy that bought the only ten kits sold in Utah. I'm sorry. I said they catch FISHERMEN. Looks like they caught you too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mojo Banjo's?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]"Oh Susanna, don't you cry for me. For I'm goin' to Jordanelle, with a Banjo on my knee."[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#385000]Ok, if they don't make the producers anymore, while I still have a couple left, I better get down in my shop.....I think I might be able to produce a producer.[/#385000]
[signature]
Yes and I still have ALLLLLL ten boxes of them......

Want some?????[cool]

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Your generosity is overwhelming, but I simply cannot accept. Thanks anyway.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Maybe we can put them up as prizes for a contest. First prize...1 box of Banjo Minnows. Second prize...2 boxes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seriously, they do have a lot of "potential". There are just too many other good baits at a fraction of the cost.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I bought a set about 9 or 10 years ago. They worked good for smallmouth and largemouth. Caught smallies at Deer Creek with them and a nice largemouth at Utah Lake. I couldn't seem to sense the hits unless I could see them though. That might have been a novice mistake of mine though. The action is fantastic on them, but you can catch just as many or more with senko type soft plastics and they are a lot cheaper.
[signature]
A friend of mine bought a set of the banjo minnows and we took them out one time and didnt catch a thing. I think tubedude is right. All your doing is wasting money.
[signature]