Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new toy!!!
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]I picked up a new toy a few weeks back and finally have got around to showing you guys. It is a Marlin .17 HMR with a Stainless Fluted Bull Barrell and a Burris 3x9 scope. So far it seems to be extremely accurate to around 200 yards, but I do need to play with it more to get a true test for the gun. I have hit a few Prarie dogs with the 17 grain balistic tip and it devistated them. The 20 grain hollow points also did a good job but did completely destroy them. I will probably be using the 20 grain when it comes to Cottontails. I am a big bunny hunter, it is my winter sport, in fact that is how I hurt my back this year.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]If anybody has any real experience with this caliber and has some reccommendations let me know I am all ears.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Click on pics to see larger view.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Later all[/size][/#808000][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7252/cat/591"][Image: 100_6140.JPG][/url] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7251/cat/591"][Image: 100_6139.JPG][/url]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I'm jealous, not because I can use it, but it's a ownership thing.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have a Browning A-bolt, 22-250, all tricked out for critters that I have hardly ever fired. bought it a few years ago for song dogs.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Guns are a awful thing to have interest in. You want one each of everything. I have nearly reached that point, guess I should sell some of them off.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Since the introduction of the 17 cal. it's been real popular, and has a good reputation. I have an idea that you will be real happy with your new toy.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Nice little toy! I love my 17, it is dead on accurate, and quite devastating. High cross winds will throw you off, but on good days, it's bedtime for bonzo! The 17 is one of those perfect calibers. It's tough to get them to shoot very bad. My only suggestion is to try all the brands of ammo, and then stick with the one you like the best.
[signature]
Beautiful rifle. Probably real accurate ?
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]That's awesome!! I'm really considering getting a 17 for shooting bunnies.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Wyo, I've got the same gun minus the fluted barrel, and I absolutly love it!! My old man is a dairy farmer in Weber County, Utah, and I've made it my personal mission to destroy anything and everything that eats pheasants! A couple of years now into killing the varmits and the bird numbers are up!

Do you shoot the Hornady ballistic tips? Of all the rounds I've tried with mine, I like those the best. And the scope i've got is calibrated for the Hornady line of rounds. Also, have you had any troubles with the clip not setting just right to allow the next round to be chambered? I've noticed that when I'm shooting I'll hold the gun right where the clip is inserted and too much pressure and you cant load the next round. Missed a couple of coons because of this, but thats ok, just means its time to bust out the old shotgun!
[signature]