Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A day to remember
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]June 6th. Today is Flag day and also the beginning to the end of WWII. Today is the anniversary of the Normandy Invasion. If you have ever been to Normandy & particularly the American cemetery there you know how emotional a place that can be. Here are a few pictures I took several years ago. The beach scene is where our troops landed. The German machine gunners had a field day from their position on the hill where I was standing. The American cemetery is filled with 18, 19 year old kids. A solemn place indeed. Ooops I goofed again as today is not flag day. It is June 14th. Still it was a good reason to fly my flag.[/size][/green][/font] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26131;][/center]
[signature]
GOD BLESSED you Dryrod![angelic]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Back when the earth was young, I lived in France for a couple years, and visited most of the sites that are of a historical nature. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I lived on the south west coast, La Rochelle, just a few miles down the coast from Rochfort, where the Nazi's had their submarine bunkers. They are something to see, and when you learn the history of them, you wonder how people can treat others the way they do.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]On occasion, would visit the beaches of Ile de rae, the place where "The Longest Day" was filmed. It was a good place to drink wine and get sunburned.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]A person doesn't really realize the importance of the war and what we did in Europe until they visit these sites. That was back when all Americans had pride in their country and supported the government. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If Americans today were asked to sacrifice like they did during the war, they would fizz their pants. [/size]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there Saberfish you have got that right. That is why they called in the greatest generation.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
could be me but I dont see a picture.. but you could always send to my email addy listed in the profile....

macfly
[signature]
I did not get to France while I was stationed overseas (Scotland and Spain).. but I do remember the chills that ran up and down my spine the first time I was on board a ship and we rendered honors to the Arizona Memorial as we passed to go out to sea.. the awesomeness of the site belies the immense sacrifices these men made to protect the freedoms that todays kids take for granted... freedom of speech.. right of assembly.. freedom of religion.. the right to keep and bear arms etc... if the kids today only knew or realized what those that went before them sacrificed to ensure they have these rights to abuse as they see fit today... flag burning.. bastardising the National Anthem.. etc... but as disgusted as I get at times with the minority of the kids today who abuse these freedoms.. my heart swells with pride for having served myself and teaching my kids to honor the Flag.. to pause and listen to the National Anthem with hand over heart.. to speak freely but with purpose and to always listen to and consider the other persons point of view.. to stand proud to be an American.. because I do truely believe that it will be my children.. and millons of others who were raised in like manner who will have children of their own who they will teach right from wrong.. and in doing so.. our Nation.. Under God. with liberty and justice for all will survive.. will grow.. will become one again.. at least that is my dreammm... now can I hear a God Bless America and an loud Amen from all those who believe as I do... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center] [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26141;]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Amen to that MF55.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Thank you sir... [Smile]
[signature]