Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flyfishing Myth??
Got a question for you experienced flyfishermen here on the forum. I know absolutely zilch about flyfishing (equipment, tactics, etc). A buiness friend switched to flyfishing many years ago and never looked back. He tells me that it is frowned on by fellow flyfishermen to keep what you catch. Flyfishing is strictly catch/release only. Has anyone else ever heard this?

Also- for someone who is considering flyfishing... what video or DVD would you recommend a person reads before buying a rod and trying the sport??

Any other words of caution for someone thinking of trying flyfishing?

Thanks!!

steve
[signature]
Hi and welcome to the Fly Fishing Forum here at BigFishTackle. Although many flyfishing anglers release most of what they catch, there is no written rule that says that you have to throw everything back.

Catch and Release is a controlled discipline and an environmentally sound practice. So is cooking and so is eating.

I personally Catch and Release all Large Mouth Bass or certain native species of fish that take longer to grow or that appear of such a huge size that they deserve to live the rest of their life to the fullest.

I don't mount trophy fish on the wall but some people do. That is their discipline or way of doing things. It's all good.

I do enjoy eating Trout, Salmon and Steelhead. Largemouth Bass are toys, Trout is food.

I flyfish a lot in the Saltwater too. Any Tropy fish get to go a round with the scale, tape measure and camera. Certain species I will release out of respect and others will get introduced to my fillet knife.

We have some other members here that only Catch and Release. It's all good. They also have some referrences to some fly fishing videos.

We also have a Video section on the site that may have some helpfull information for you.

I hope that you will further develope an interest in flyfishing and maybe join us some time.[cool]
[signature]
You might be better served to post this in the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=132;"]Fly Fishing Forum[/url] to get the flyroders thoughts, but I doubt you'll get an overwhelming response for or against keeping fish. I really believe its up to the fisherman. How delicate the fishery is concerning harvesting of reproductive/spawn mature fish and if you like to eat fish or know someone that would. You can catch everything from Bluegill to Billfish on a flyrod so the parameters can vary on what species you catch and where you flyfish for them.

I don't consider myself a flyfisherman by any set of standards, but I own a few rods and use them to harvest fish with. I do release fish also if I feel its best for the fishery or I don't want the fish to eat. I guess just be wise about it.. do a little research on the species in the waters you want to fish and make your decision to keep/release based on your research. Some bodys of water or stretches of streams and rivers my be catch and release only by state or federal law so doing 'the right thing' is being conservation minded in my eyes. It could even be harvesting smaller stunted fish out of an over-populated fishery... a little research can go a long way!

As for a DVD/video that you should watch.. I'd post up in the flyfishing forum and let the experienced members share their knowledge and experience on the subject.. BFT is a great think tank of outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen to be a part of!

"Any other words of caution....?" - Yea, I have one. Patience! [Wink]
[signature]
Heh, I see my post got moved. Sorry, didn't realize there was a dedicated flyfishing forum.

Thanks for the replies. I place orders to Cabelas every once in a while and they have a nice selection of DVD's and books. I'm a big book reader, but sometimes the DVD is helpful.

Please keep the replies coming.

steve
[signature]
No problem Captn160. I read through the boards so fast that I didn't realize that it was on the freshwater board.

There is no problem with posting flyfishing stuff over there but it would generally get better response over here.

Keep your questions coming and we'll just keep teaching away.[cool]
[signature]
I agree that it is up to the individual.
Not many carry a wicker basket with them anymore and when fishing a river, you really don't wanna be dragging a stringer of fish. Plus FF generally travel light.
My hubby is a strictly catch and release kinda guy, I on the other hand will keep and eat one on occasion, but he doen't care for the taste of trout.
So, I say unless posted to C & R and you wanna keep your limit....go for it. A little harvesting can go a long way.
[signature]
Limit your kill but don't kill your limit.!

Like I said before, it is important to throw some back so that we can fish tomorrow.

Since I am not into Popsicles, (Frozen Fish) I like to keep only what I can consume within 2 days of the trip.

The fresher the better.[cool]
[signature]
I agree with the above. I've kept trout and the larger panfish. Everything else gets released. The smallish bass I've caught gets released, even though it was legal to keep. Let the little guys grow! I'm out there for some good 'ol R&R... not to fill the freezer (although sometimes a meal of fresh fish is a welcome treat!).

steve
[signature]
I am a big fan of fresh fish. Have you seen our Recipe board?? Tons of nice recipes for the fish that follow us home.[cool]
[signature]
Yep, seen it. But the wife has this flour/seasoning mix she coats fillets in that is hard to beat! Doesn't get much better than that! Trout fillets an home-made noodles... rivals a good steak dinner IMO.

steve
[signature]
That sounds yummy. Don't forget to share some of your recipes on the Recipe board. Just look up the species and add to the existing thread.

Thanks again for sharing.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there captn160 and welcome to the Fly Fishing board. I fly fish strictly for the enjoyment that the sport provide. Scenery, challenge etc. I'm a C&R using barb-less hooks. As far as videos are concerned a number of different Fly Fishing CDs are available from Netflix. The first one to rent would be Introduction to Fly Fishing. Another good one is Fishing Trout Streams by Maggie Merriman. An excellent teacher. Also FF for bass & pan fish. Good luck and welcome to the Swatters team.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm itchin' to place an order to either Cabelas or BassPro for a few odds and ends. Both places sell DVD's and was hoping to scrap some bucks together for one.

steve
[signature]
If you eat fish then you keep fish but don't let them go to the freezer gods Have fun let some go and don't waste and you'll have a blast. I keep a few and BBQ some and smoke some. All I do is FF and it is for my relaxation and enjoyment 1st and I don't care what anyone else has to say about it But If you want to take some home its your choice not theres.
[signature]